[ABD] WP-United: WordPress Integration v0.9.2.8 22/05/14

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
MasterSaji

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by MasterSaji »

ugh those pics look great. but just to be sure, this is to put wordpress in phpbb3, and NOT phpbb3 in Wordpress. Or can it be either way?
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Either way....
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

I like this Mod. I'll be checking this one out when it goes out of Beta.
Good work!
Signatures are overrated...
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

I'm getting there.... 85% done :-)

I'm giving the user mapping admin page an overhaul while I'm at it, which should take another day or two. Then there's a bit of work to do on the auto profile fields.... but it shouldn't take long.

Sorry for the delay.... I just want to ensure that when I release something, it actually works well :-)
Shigga

Post by Shigga »

Will there be a function to autmatically post blog entries from certain categories into a certain (sub)forum, like replacing the comments with a forum thread?
antisa33

Post by antisa33 »

Very well i am waiting for your mod i need it :P
Will we be able to create a blog like pseudo.domain.com ?
Thanks a lot for all work :geek:
Thanks
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Shigga wrote:Will there be a function to autmatically post blog entries from certain categories into a certain (sub)forum, like replacing the comments with a forum thread?
Yes, but the initial release will not include this. The initial release will have feature parity with the phpBB2 version. A cross-posting feature will be added shortly thereafter. The feature will allow you to additionally post a blog post excerpt to a forum -- but the forum will not replace the Blog comments, or vice-versa (I don't see the point).
Shigga

Post by Shigga »

Thanks for the info!

My argument for replacing the WP-Comments with a forum thread: As far as I understood, there will be a combined user account for forum and blog. Also, a function will be included to post parts of the blog entry as a forum thread. That is kind of cumbersome for ppl disussing an entry, b/c it splits the discussion about an entry to two different "threads" (the forum thread and the WP comments).
Putting the post and the refering comments in a forum thread would rid the user of the need to double his post, as well as encourage him to participate in other parts of the forum. Provided only parts of the original blog entry will be postet as the #1 post of the thread, the user will still be compelled to read the blog for the whole text (otherwise, having the blog wouldn't make sense in the first place).

But perhaps I misunderstood your post.
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

I see your point -- you want to use the blog posts to stimulate discussion on the boards. Good point.

You can simply cross-post the excerpt form the original blog post, and disable comments for that blog post. Possibly adding a link to the end of the blog post directing commenters to the forum thread. I can include a checkbox when cross-posting "allow comments only in forum thread".

I don't want to sync comments between the forum and the blog, however -- I think that would be duplication of information, and a bit pointless, as well as raising lots of issues around security, spam, etc.

(My personal opinion -- and the reason for my above post -- is more that a blog is a blog, and a forum a forum, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.... Hence the need for an integration :-) . I see how occasional blog entries posted on the forum for discussion is a good idea... but (personally) am not a huge fan of blog mods where every blog post is cross-posted....:-) )
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

The WP-United site has been updated to phpBB3 and a pre-release version of WP-United for phpBB3 :-)

Which can only mean one thing.... the release isn't far off :-)

(I always said I'd have ti done before phpBB3 went final :P )
Shigga

Post by Shigga »

Jhong wrote:I see your point -- you want to use the blog posts to stimulate discussion on the boards. Good point.
Exactly!:)
Jhong wrote:You can simply cross-post the excerpt form the original blog post, and disable comments for that blog post. Possibly adding a link to the end of the blog post directing commenters to the forum thread. I can include a checkbox when cross-posting "allow comments only in forum thread".
Perhaps you could also include a function where the checking of the box enables a box where you can enter the URL of the forum thread... which is then shown as a link named "Related Forum Thread" or some such. That would be sweet. :)
Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Sure... I was thinking a drop-down with all the forums where the user has permissions, and the thread would be automatically created, together with the above checkbox.
Shigga

Post by Shigga »

That would be even sweeter! :))
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

You can either wait for jhong to implant the features you wanted later on. Or if he does not, what you can do is disallow comments on the blog. Then after each blog post, you also paste a link to the forum for that particular discussion. :)

I think that saves more time on jhong on this mod and less codes are made to the core files.
Shigga

Post by Shigga »

I will sure do that as long as he has not implemented it, but I think it is very cumbersome doing things that way- also, I think it is a feature that will add to the attractiveness of the mod.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”