[ABD] WP-United: WordPress Integration v0.9.2.8 22/05/14

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Neon_
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:50 am

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Neon_ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:51 am

Shigga wrote:I will sure do that as long as he has not implemented it, but I think it is very cumbersome doing things that way- also, I think it is a feature that will add to the attractiveness of the mod.
I'm gunna have to agree on that one.

Gotta hand it to ya Jhong, this mod is looking pretty sweet. Once this mod is finally out I'm finally getting started on the coding for a huge community based site I'm doing that will integrate even more. You're saving me a good chunk of time here, thanks a lot.
Image

User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Jhong » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 am

Great :-)

It should be ready soon (bear in mind the cross-posting feature won't be there for the initial release).

You can see the progress on the blog at http://www.wp-united.com . It is already using a pre-release version, so far so good :-)
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

User avatar
-CoS-
Registered User
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by -CoS- » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I've just visited your site and the result looks really good. I'm looking forward to test this mod.

It would be perfect if anyone skilled could make a prosilver like template for wordpress.

Neon_
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:50 am

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Neon_ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:18 pm

As I understand it, it uses you're current phpbb theme, so you wouldn't need to do any custom theme making for wordpress. It would by default already be prosilver (assuming you're using prosilver as your phpbb theme).
Image

User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Jhong » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:15 am

No, it uses whatever theme you have for WordPress and combines it with whatever theme you have for phpBB. So you can have your WordPress-in-whatever-style-you-want in the middle of your prosilver page (or vice-versa)

It should be fairly easy to make a prosilver theme for WordPress -- maybe I'll have a crack at it in the future.

In the meantime, you could just pick a WordPress theme that has similar attributes to prosilver -- say, Ocadia.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Gleasonator » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:17 am

Jhong wrote:No, it uses whatever theme you have for WordPress and combines it with whatever theme you have for phpBB. So you can have your WordPress-in-whatever-style-you-want in the middle of your prosilver page (or vice-versa)

It should be fairly easy to make a prosilver theme for WordPress -- maybe I'll have a crack at it in the future.

In the meantime, you could just pick a WordPress theme that has similar attributes to prosilver -- say, Ocadia.
I could see this being slight problem though... the members of my forums use different skins and I imagine that some skins would look strange with one global WP theme. I have never used WP so correct me if I'm wrong, but the user cannot pick the style, can he? If this is the case, maybe an extra option in ACP>Styles for WP themes that can be added to a style?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am stupid with WordPress. :D But I will use this mod regardless of the way the themes work.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image

User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Jhong » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:29 am

No problem, no question is stupid :-)


The template integration works two ways --- you can put your WordPress page inside your phpBB page, or you can put your phpBB forum inside a WordPress page.

The first way is I guess what you want. Currently, you can't switch WordPress theme based on which user is viewing the page. (although there are plugins to allow that, they wouldn't integrate with the phpBB template selection.)

It shouldn't be a big problem, however. You could pick a relatively simple / bland WordPress template that is the "middle of the road" for all your phpBB themes. Then you can remove the CSS from the WordPress template, and move it into your phpBB styles. Then modify that CSS in each of your styles so it looks the way you want for each style.

Personally, I don't mind having a totally different "blog look" inside a phpBB header and footer. (It's what I did on http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library )
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

Neon_
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:50 am

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Neon_ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:34 am

hmmm, if you don't mind Jhong, after you release this I might make a wordpress template that uses the phpbb theme variables and stylesheet so it will automatically use any prosilver based template, and then maybe get it to be ported with the mod just as an option? or maybe at least linked to on the same page as your download mod or something? I think that would be a very usefull addition to a lot of people out there.

(no worries if you don't want me to though) ;)
Image

User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Gleasonator » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 am

Jhong wrote:No problem, no question is stupid :-)


The template integration works two ways --- you can put your WordPress page inside your phpBB page, or you can put your phpBB forum inside a WordPress page.

The first way is I guess what you want. Currently, you can't switch WordPress theme based on which user is viewing the page. (although there are plugins to allow that, they wouldn't integrate with the phpBB template selection.)

It shouldn't be a big problem, however. You could pick a relatively simple / bland WordPress template that is the "middle of the road" for all your phpBB themes. Then you can remove the CSS from the WordPress template, and move it into your phpBB styles. Then modify that CSS in each of your styles so it looks the way you want for each style.

Personally, I don't mind having a totally different "blog look" inside a phpBB header and footer. (It's what I did on http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library )
Thank you. :) You answered my question. The problem with a bland theme is that I have some users using light styles, and some using dark styles so I'd basically need a rainbow of colors for it to look nice. :lol: But I actually like the idea of being able to choose the theme and the template separately because it makes it more flexible. :) (I'm referring to the plug-in you mentioned)

Anyways, thanks for the reply! :D I can't wait for this to be released!
Neon_ wrote:hmmm, if you don't mind Jhong, after you release this I might make a wordpress template that uses the phpbb theme variables and stylesheet so it will automatically use any prosilver based template, and then maybe get it to be ported with the mod just as an option? or maybe at least linked to on the same page as your download mod or something? I think that would be a very usefull addition to a lot of people out there.

(no worries if you don't want me to though) ;)
That would be awesome. 8-)
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image

User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Jhong » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 am

Gleasonator: Remember that all colours are set in the CSS, so whatever template you choose for WordPress, as long as you duplicat ethe CSS into your phpBB styles, you can effectively set whatever colour schemes you want.

Neon_: Good idea,it should be relatively simple. I'd do this: grab the WordPress default template (or classic template), and delete all the CSS.

Then, when you turn on template integration (WordPress in a phpBB page), it will take on the prosilver style.

Of course, WordPress will have several elements that aren't styled explicitly in prosilver, so you could then do a bit of tweaking. You'd need to add the SPANS for rounded borders to the template, and use the .forabg / .forumbg backgrounds if you wanted. be careful of the sidebar(s) -- if you use "special" markup, you have to ensure that WordPress widgets will work with them. Note that the WordPress themes aren't parsed by the phpBB template system (phpBB header and footer are, of course, but the WordPress page in the middle isn't), so you can't use phpBB template tags in there.

Put the CSS tweaks to a separate CSS file, and hey presto, you have a prosilver theme for WordPress.


If you - or anyone make such a theme, I'll happily roll it into the mod and give credit where it is due :-) . I really wanted a WordPress subSilver theme for phpBB2, but I thought it was such a shame to replace WordPress' clean markup with tables!! A prosilver theme would be great though. If no-one else does it, I'll eventually have to do it myself so WP-United can compete with the prosilver-styled phpBB3 blog mods that will appear. :D

J
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Gleasonator » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 am

I feel like a child in bed on Christmas Eve. :(
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image

User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Jhong » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:52 am

LOL! :lol:
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com

User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Gleasonator » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 pm

I have another quick question. I downloaded WordPress just now and noticed an "index.php" file. My guess would have been that WP goes on the root and phBB goes in a directory like /forums, but I noticed that on your site they're both on the root. :?

I am trying to use WP as a portal, so I would have it on the root regardless. I was just curious about how this will work...

Thanks for the replies!
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image

User avatar
nico66s
Registered User
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Padova, Italy
Contact:

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by nico66s » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Neon_ wrote:hmmm, if you don't mind Jhong, after you release this I might make a wordpress template that uses the phpbb theme variables and stylesheet so it will automatically use any prosilver based template, and then maybe get it to be ported with the mod just as an option? or maybe at least linked to on the same page as your download mod or something? I think that would be a very usefull addition to a lot of people out there.

(no worries if you don't want me to though) ;)
And think of the possibilities with CyberAlien ColorizeIt then :)
Cool idea!
Nico from phpbb.it translation team

Neon_
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:50 am

Re: [DEV]WP-United: phpBB3 - WordPress Integration Mod

Post by Neon_ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Jhong wrote:Note that the WordPress themes aren't parsed by the phpBB template system (phpBB header and footer are, of course, but the WordPress page in the middle isn't), so you can't use phpBB template tags in there.
Oh really? I was hoping you're mod was a little more integrated then that. :)
Regardless I'll find a way to get it done, this sort of intuitive design and customization is what I specialize in. :D I'm quite familiare with how all the visual stuff in phpbb3 works, including the stuff that sets all the template stuff up. I'm sure once this is released I won't have much of a problem getting into this much at all. I'm just hoping I can come up with some way to make it match whatever the current theme is, and not simply just be a proSilver port. Right now I'm just waiting for the MOD so I can pry at how it works with my own eyes and then see what work I have cut out for me.
Image

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”