[ABD] WP-United: WordPress Integration v0.9.2.8 22/05/14

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Locked
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

You can put WordPress wherever you like relative to phpBB.

All access to WordPress is via the blog.php file, which you can move/rename to wherever/whatever you want. Just follow the instructions in the Wizard if you move it relative to the forum root.

On my site, phpBB is in the root, and I renamed the blog.php to portal.php, and set my .htaccess file to look for portal.php's ahead of index.php's. WordPress itself is off in a subfolder.

My site might be a bit confusing visually, as it is actually a phpBB template with WordPress inside -- the forum pages are pure phpBB. Best way is just to play with the template options in the mod.

phpBB can be in a WordPress subfolder, or WordPress can be in a phpBB subfolder, either can be as many levels deep as you like.

Hope it works...

J
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Gleasonator »

Jhong wrote:You can put WordPress wherever you like relative to phpBB.

All access to WordPress is via the blog.php file, which you can move/rename to wherever/whatever you want. Just follow the instructions in the Wizard if you move it relative to the forum root.

On my site, phpBB is in the root, and I renamed the blog.php to portal.php, and set my .htaccess file to look for portal.php's ahead of index.php's. WordPress itself is off in a subfolder.

My site might be a bit confusing visually, as it is actually a phpBB template with WordPress inside -- the forum pages are pure phpBB. Best way is just to play with the template options in the mod.

phpBB can be in a WordPress subfolder, or WordPress can be in a phpBB subfolder, either can be as many levels deep as you like.

Hope it works...

J
Image Thank you, oh great one! I am forever in your debt.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

haha... Let's see if it works first :-)
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
GeorgiePorgie
Registered User
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 am
Location: 37° 42' N, 122° 05' W
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by GeorgiePorgie »

It works!!! ;)

I installed it today and it is great!

Having used and marveled at your mod for phpbb2, I knew this version for phpbb3 would rock too. And it does. Great job!
Image
fireundubh
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by fireundubh »

The error in "Text_MOD_Install_File_v0.5.txt" is there. Open the file in WordPad. You'll see that the 'L' character in "LOG_USER_USER_UPDATE" is actually a square.

Now I'm having another problem. I can't log out when I click the "log out" link from WordPress.

"404 Not Found. The requested URL /forums/login.php was not found on this server."

This is probably caused by using the wrong filename in the wp_register() hook. Your hook is also messing with my formatting.

Right off the bat, WP-United is incompatible with the WordPress plugins authUI (formatting problem) and Weasel's Login Redirect/Text Change (overrides alternate text and redirection).

EDIT: WP-United's wp_register() hook is causing a lot of problems. I would prefer that WP-United not touch wp_register() at all. My plugin, authUI, allows WordPress users to place a login form on their WordPress page thus enabling their users to log into WordPress without ever going to "wp-login.php". Because WP-United hooks into wp_register(), replaces text, uses different formatting, and uses some incorrect URLs (e.g., phpBB3 does not have a profile.php or a login.php), WP-United renders the authUI form useless. I can't log in from that form, the "register" link doesn't work due to the nonexistence of "profile.php", the "log out" link doesn't work because of the nonexistence of "login.php", and my nice and tidy one-line form is broken into two lines with an extraneous bullet character.

To fix the "log out" problem, edit "wordpress-entry-point.php":

From:

Code: Select all

//Some login/logout links are hard-coded into the WP templates. We fix them here:
if ( !empty($wpSettings['integrateLogin']) ) {

	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=$scriptPath", "{$scriptPath}login.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=", "{$scriptPath}login.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?action=logout", "{$scriptPath}login.$phpEx?logout=true&sid=$phpbb_sid", $retWpInc);
}
To:

Code: Select all

//Some login/logout links are hard-coded into the WP templates. We fix them here:
if ( !empty($wpSettings['integrateLogin']) ) {

	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=$scriptPath", "{$scriptPath}ucp.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=", "{$scriptPath}ucp.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?action=logout", "{$scriptPath}ucp.$phpEx?mode=logout&sid=$phpbb_sid", $retWpInc);
}
EDIT: Still doesn't redirect as specified via Weasel's WP plugin.

For my purposes, all I want to do is share the WordPress user database with phpBB and vice versa. If users want to register via WordPress, they should be able to do that. If they want to register via phpBB, they should be able to do that, too. If users want to log into WordPress, they should be able to do that and also be logged into phpBB. If users want to log into phpBB, they should be able to do that, too, and also be logged into WordPress. I don't think WP-United's attempt to centralize authentication via phpBB is user-friendly, so to speak. There should be a bridge that sits between the two applications, facilitating cross-application authentication.

By the way, Trac and Flyspray are both excellent bug tracking applications. A project this size needs a public bug tracking system. Bug reporting via forums can get rather unwieldy.
Last edited by fireundubh on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
User avatar
Gleasonator
Registered User
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Gleasonator »

EDIT: Posted some stuff that I ended up being because of the skin I'm using. :P

Well, I installed the mod and it works great! The only problem I had was with a skin I was using that caused the sidebar thing from WP to stay there when I went to my forums. :( I just used the default skin and it worked.

Can you please tell me how to add tabs on the the top of the page like on your site? Home, Support, Forums, ect?

Thanks alot!

EDIT again: I finally got a skin that was perfect, but when I send PMs or post I get this message:

Code: Select all

Warning: main(/home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/ygo-black-magic-10/functions.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php on line 1407

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/ygo-black-magic-10/functions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php on line 1407

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 381

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 382

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 383

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 384

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 369

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 370

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 373

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 374
It still sends the PM/lets me post though... any way this can be fixed or that I can enable some sort of debug? phpBB's debug is off.

EDIT again: Yes, actually I tried another skin and it happened again. :(
Last edited by Gleasonator on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Image
fireundubh
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by fireundubh »

WP-United also adds an unnamed menu to WP-Admin after Options. When selected, the "Your Profile" screen appears.

WP-United also replaces the user name text and log out link in the upper-right corner of WP-Admin with "Welcome to WP-United!"

There's a line between integration and convergence, and WP-United crosses that line. I really wish WP-United would not touch WordPress without my explicit permission. I would suggest that the default configuration not include out-of-the-box convergence. Now I have to figure out the best way to uninstall WP-United until it's actually ready for consumption and so I can get my website back in working order. [EDIT: Uninstalled correctly.]

I would also like the User Integration Manager to be a separate phpBB mod, so that those of us who are not interested in converging the two applications and who only want to integrate databases can do so without numerous headaches.

I'm sorry if I sound mean here, but I truly appreciate the work you've done. The User Integration Manager works great! I just hope you can get WP-United working flawlessly in the future, and I'd be happy to test the mod again on a non-production site.
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

fireundubh wrote:The error in "Text_MOD_Install_File_v0.5.txt" is there. Open the file in WordPad. You'll see that the 'L' character in "LOG_USER_USER_UPDATE" is actually a square.
Looks like you got a corrupted download. The character is directly copied from phpBB, and is definitely not a non-base-ascii character for me.
fireundubh wrote: Now I'm having another problem. I can't log out when I click the "log out" link from WordPress.

"404 Not Found. The requested URL /forums/login.php was not found on this server."

This is probably caused by using the wrong filename in the wp_register() hook. Your hook is also messing with my formatting.
Sounds like this is a bug.... there are several places where I modify the login link -- the wp_register hook (which I believe is fine), and a post-page-generation "catch all". TBH, I'll be pleased if this is the only bug, since this is only the first Beta release for phpBB3.

WHICH link is affected -- the one in the sidebar, or somewhere else -- or all login/regiser links?

The register does nothing to the formatting. You're going to have to be more explicit than "messes up my formatting". Please be helpful here :D
fireundubh wrote: Right off the bat, WP-United is incompatible with the WordPress plugins authUI (formatting problem) and Weasel's Login Redirect/Text Change (overrides alternate text and redirection).
Sorry man, but what do you expect? WP-United authenticates using phpBB. It makes WordPress' authentication obsolete. So I wouldn't expect an authentication plugin to be useful in the slightest.

For the login redirector, the login page should be phpBB's login.

AND -- most importantly. If there are bugs with any plugins, I am very keen to address them. But I can't do that when you rant. Please post specific problems, with detailed error messages. How should they work, and what happens when they don't.

You want them solved, be my guest -- split each error into a separate thread and post them on the WP-United foruns... and I'll fix them :-)

I can't do anything other than defend myself if you don't work with me to correct the problems.
fireundubh wrote: EDIT: WP-United's wp_register() hook is causing a lot of problems. I would prefer that WP-United not touch wp_register() at all. My plugin, authUI, allows WordPress users to place a login form on their WordPress page thus enabling their users to log into WordPress without ever going to "wp-login.php". Because WP-United hooks into wp_register(), replaces text, uses different formatting, and uses some incorrect URLs (e.g., phpBB3 does not have a profile.php or a login.php), WP-United renders the authUI form useless. I can't log in from that form, the "register" link doesn't work due to the nonexistence of "profile.php", the "log out" link doesn't work because of the nonexistence of "login.php", and my nice and tidy one-line form is broken into two lines with an extraneous bullet character.
This will not work. login and registration must be handled by phpBB at this stage if you want to integrate with phpBB. The authUI form will be useless unless you redirect its output to phpBB.

The login.php / profile.php is a bug -- please kindly post the error specifically and I will fix.
To fix the "log out" problem, edit "wordpress-entry-point.php":

WP-United does NOTHING to your formatting -- if you are combining templates that in all probablility I have never seen in my life, you should expect a couple of minor CSS glitches. If they're not minor CSS glitches, and serious bugs in your opinion, post them constructively please.
fireundubh wrote: From:

Code: Select all

//Some login/logout links are hard-coded into the WP templates. We fix them here:
if ( !empty($wpSettings['integrateLogin']) ) {

	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=$scriptPath", "{$scriptPath}login.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=", "{$scriptPath}login.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?action=logout", "{$scriptPath}login.$phpEx?logout=true&sid=$phpbb_sid", $retWpInc);
}
To:

Code: Select all

//Some login/logout links are hard-coded into the WP templates. We fix them here:
if ( !empty($wpSettings['integrateLogin']) ) {

	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=$scriptPath", "{$scriptPath}ucp.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?redirect_to=", "{$scriptPath}ucp.$phpEx?redirect=wp-united-blog&d=", $retWpInc);
	$retWpInc = str_replace("$siteurl/wp-login.php?action=logout", "{$scriptPath}ucp.$phpEx?mode=logout&sid=$phpbb_sid", $retWpInc);
}
EDIT: Still doesn't redirect as specified via Weasel's WP plugin.
Thanks -- THIS is helpful. I thought I had already fixed that... :oops:
fireundubh wrote: For my purposes, all I want to do is share the WordPress user database with phpBB and vice versa. If users want to register via WordPress, they should be able to do that. If they want to register via phpBB, they should be able to do that, too. If users want to log into WordPress, they should be able to do that and also be logged into phpBB. If users want to log into phpBB, they should be able to do that, too, and also be logged into WordPress. I don't think WP-United's attempt to centralize authentication via phpBB is user-friendly, so to speak. There should be a bridge that sits between the two applications, facilitating cross-application authentication.
OK, I hear what you are saying. I can see one advantage: It is easier for users to set up. I can see several disadvantages: (1) It's an easy route for spam into your forum, (2) you have to manage two captchas, two registration queues, (3) WordPress logins/registrations are not nearly as robust.

phpBB provides user activation, banning/warnings, password change times, and several other robust registration features. providing a back door for registration effectively makes all these features worthless.

You're kindof proving my point -- you already have two login/registration-related plugins in WordPress to get what you want. You don't need that in phpBB (once we fix the login/profile bugs :-) ) If you want login boxes right on blog pages, post a new thread on my forums, or a new post, and that couold easily be worked in using phpBB3's login box feature.

Also, I believe users to some extent appreciate being funnelled through a single login point for login. They KNOW they are logging into YOUR SITE -- they don't receive different message depending on whether they are logging into your blogs, forums, or other site features.
fireundubh wrote: By the way, Trac and Flyspray are both excellent bug tracking applications. A project this size needs a public bug tracking system. Bug reporting via forums can get rather unwieldy.
I appreciate the suggestion. I'm also open to your suggestions above, and of course bugfixes, as long as they remain constructive.

So far forum bug reporting has suited the project fine, although if/when more developers are on the team, a bug tracker will be helpful.

In this case, it might not be a matter of the software used for bug reporting. It is more a matter of being aware that this is the FIRST EVER release of this mod, and it is marked as Beta, and be prepared to constructively help me work through any bugs.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

Gleasonator wrote:EDIT: Posted some stuff that I ended up being because of the skin I'm using. :P

Well, I installed the mod and it works great! The only problem I had was with a skin I was using that caused the sidebar thing from WP to stay there when I went to my forums. :( I just used the default skin and it worked.

Can you please tell me how to add tabs on the the top of the page like on your site? Home, Support, Forums, ect?

Thanks alot!

EDIT again: I finally got a skin that was perfect, but when I send PMs or post I get this message:

Code: Select all

Warning: main(/home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/ygo-black-magic-10/functions.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php on line 1407

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/ygo-black-magic-10/functions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php on line 1407

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 381

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 382

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 383

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 384

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 369

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 370

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 373

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gleasona/public_html/wp-united/cache/core.wpucorecache.php:1407) in /home/gleasona/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 374
It still sends the PM/lets me post though... any way this can be fixed or that I can enable some sort of debug? phpBB's debug is off.

EDIT again: Yes, actually I tried another skin and it happened again. :(
Hello -- I'll look into this one. In the meantime, can you try delete all the files in your /wp-united/cache folder, and see if the problem goes away?

Cheers,

John

EDIT: OK, this is a bug (in the thee plugin compatibility code of all things!). I'll fix it and roll it into the update tonight. Thanks for the report.

J
Last edited by Jhong on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

fireundubh wrote:WP-United also adds an unnamed menu to WP-Admin after Options. When selected, the "Your Profile" screen appears.
It should not be unnamed. If it is, this is a bug, please post a screenshot.
WP-United also replaces the user name text and log out link in the upper-right corner of WP-Admin with "Welcome to WP-United!"

There's a line between integration and convergence, and WP-United crosses that line. I really wish WP-United would not touch WordPress without my explicit permission. I would suggest that the default configuration not include out-of-the-box convergence.
If you enable per-user blogs, the link int he top right does a bit more -- it reminds users where they can change their blog settings, or their themes.

The default phrase just replaces the logout link, which became redundant -- however I could easily add it back as a link to ucp.php.


Now I have to figure out the best way to uninstall WP-United until it's actually ready for consumption and so I can get my website back in working order. [EDIT: Uninstalled correctly.]
Come on man, how hard was it? there is an "uninstall" link that completely removes WP-United, including all and any changes to WordPress....
I would also like the User Integration Manager to be a separate phpBB mod, so that those of us who are not interested in converging the two applications and who only want to integrate databases can do so without numerous headaches.
I'm willing to bet that most of the "headaches" are due to the fact that you installed a Beta version -- the first ever. Please retain this perspective until you see the release number go up to at least v0.8 or v0.9.
I'm sorry if I sound mean here, but I truly appreciate the work you've done. The User Integration Manager works great! I just hope you can get WP-United working flawlessly in the future, and I'd be happy to test the mod again on a non-production site.
Good -- I hope you do. Get a look & feel for some of the other sites running WP-United in the gallery too (the phpBB2 ones too). Some of them are pretty big. Some have simple integrations, and some have multi-featured integrations.

The mod in its phpBB2 form has been around for some time, so make sure you educate yourself on how it should behave before spotting a couple of bugs in a brand new version and throwing in the towel. :-)
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

GeorgiePorgie wrote:It works!!! ;)

I installed it today and it is great!

Having used and marveled at your mod for phpbb2, I knew this version for phpbb3 would rock too. And it does. Great job!

Hi George -- thanks :-)

Let me know how it goes.

I'll release a small update tonight incorporating all the immediate bug reports from the release.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

BTW, just a note to new users, or those converting from phpBB2 -- if you're going to enable user integration, be sure to assign the appropriate permissions under the phpBB3 permissions tab. For example, you might want to give all "Registered users" author permissions.

Higher permissions overwrite lower permissions -- so, for example, if you set all registered users as WordPress subscribers, and one user specifically as an author, the author permission will overwrite the subscriber permission.

Hope this helps :-)
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
fireundubh
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by fireundubh »

Well, first of all, I do have professional experience with black-box software testing and reporting, so I can be extremely and technically specific where appropriate, where needed, and where possible.
Jhong wrote:Sorry man, but what do you expect? WP-United authenticates using phpBB. It makes WordPress' authentication obsolete. So I wouldn't expect an authentication plugin to be useful in the slightest.
...which means that I have to rewrite my plugin to be compatible with WP-United. Since my plugin is used on hundreds of WP installations (that will probably never need WP-United) and all my plugin does is provide a front-end authentication form, I shouldn't have to do this. As is, WP-United should simply hook into the WP authentication process, probably via a WP plugin, so that the authentication process is kept transparent.
Jhong wrote:WP-United does NOTHING to your formatting ...
That's not quite true and not quite false. WP-United does enclose one or more of the wp_register() links in HTML list tags. My plugin authUI displays a front-end authentication form without HTML list tags. Because WP-United adds list tags, part of the form is broken into two lines with the second line prefixed with a list bullet. This wp_register() link affected is probably the "register new user" link.

An easy workaround to this problem would be to modify my WP theme CSS to display lists inline; however, as I indicated, I think this would be working around the problem and not actually solving it where it should be solved.
Jhong wrote:OK, I hear what you are saying. I can see one advantage: It is easier for users to set up. I can see several disadvantages: (1) It's an easy route for spam into your forum, (2) you have to manage two captchas, two registration queues, (3) WordPress logins/registrations are not nearly as robust.

phpBB provides user activation, banning/warnings, password change times, and several other robust registration features. providing a back door for registration effectively makes all these features worthless.
I manage the official website of International Game Developers Association, San Diego, powered by WordPress. We don't receive any spam, thanks to Akismet and some .htaccess tricks. We don't have to manage any captchas because those cause problems for many users and so we don't use them. Managing multiple registration queues is a nonissue if the user databases can be kept synchronized such as via cron or even in real time. WP accounts are not as robust, but the login/registration system is easier to handle and use if you look at it as just a form. If authentication is to be handled by phpBB, then users should be able to log into phpBB via WordPress and log into WordPress via phpBB. There has to be a way to maintain a transparent and seamless user experience.
Jhong wrote:Also, I believe users to some extent appreciate being funnelled through a single login point for login. They KNOW they are logging into YOUR SITE -- they don't receive different message depending on whether they are logging into your blogs, forums, or other site features.
Scroll to the bottom of the IGDA San Diego website and register an account. Go to any page. Then log in using the form. You'll see that you stay on the page you were on and the menu changes as appropriate to your account. You always know you're logging into the IGDA San Diego website because you stay on the IGDA San Diego website. The way WP-United works now is not as transparent. You force users to go somewhere else when they log in. If that someplace else is significantly different in presentation, you are more likely to cause confusion than assure users that what they're doing is what they want to be doing. Moreover, wouldn't you be confused if you were on a blog, reading an article, deciding to comment, logging in to add a comment, and then dragged away to a forum? I would and I bet other people would, too. The authentication system should keep people where they are when they decide to log in or out.
Jhong wrote:Come on man, how hard was it? there is an "uninstall" link that completely removes WP-United, including all and any changes to WordPress....
When I wrote what I wrote, I was thinking that I had to go through every source file to revert every change. I was pleased that the "Uninstall" function worked perfectly and not reverting those source changes didn't interrupt the operation of the website. Well, except for the switching "blog.html" and "index.html" aspect...
Jhong wrote:I'm willing to bet that most of the "headaches" are due to the fact that you installed a Beta version -- the first ever. Please retain this perspective until you see the release number go up to at least v0.8 or v0.9.
"Headaches" are a matter of perspective. I'm spoiled by the ease-of-personalization that comes with WordPress and Vanilla. Just plug in a new feature and you're ready to go! Modifying application source code to make new features work brings me back to the old days when Perl/CGI scripts were all the rage... I was also under the impression that this beta was a final since you don't mention "beta" at all in your announcement. [I can't believe phpBB still doesn't have an easy plugin system! Wow!!!]

I would still like to see a separate mod for your User Integration Manager as described here.

When I get the chance, I'll set up my offline IGDA San Diego website again so that I can continue testing WP-United.
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.1 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

OK, I've just uploaded a minor update - v0.5.1.

This addresses the immediate bugs found since the release.

- Fixed: Some login & register links didn't point to the right place when logins were integrated. This is now fixed (but redirection back to the page you were on will come later).
- Fixed: function.php warnings appeared at the top of the page for some templates.
- Fixed: Incorrect path to /includes/acp in the install MOD file.

If you installed v0.5.0, you can simply update by just copying over all the new files to their correct locations. You don't need to run the install script or make any other edits.

The changelog and file versions will be updated when a release with more substantial changes is made.

Thanks to everyone who spotted the errors!

J
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
User avatar
Jhong
Registered User
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:53 pm
Location: In a theme sandwich
Contact:

Re: [BETA] WP-United: WordPress Integration (v0.5.0 15/07/07)

Post by Jhong »

fireundubh wrote: ...which means that I have to rewrite my plugin to be compatible with WP-United. Since my plugin is used on hundreds of WP installations (that will probably never need WP-United) and all my plugin does is provide a front-end authentication form, I shouldn't have to do this. As is, WP-United should simply hook into the WP authentication process, probably via a WP plugin, so that the authentication process is kept transparent.
Hmmm... WordPress never needs to authenticate -- Once installed, it should always be "logged in" or "logged out" depending on the phpBB status. I may in the future remove the need from blog.php, but TBH this will not make any major differences tot he way the login code functions. The exception here is access to the WordPress admin panel, for which authentication is handled by WordPress, as it should be.

I'm very serious about making WP-United compatible with plugins. I have spent hours makign the code as compatible as possible -- the entire integration class is structureed rather painfully to ensure that WordPress always gets executed in the global scope, for example, as many plugins aren't written flexibly enough to still work if they are called from a function.

If your plugin CAN work with WP-United, then give me the details (on wp-united.com please) so I can make it so. I use several plugins on that site, and all work flawlessly.

The exception here is plugins that conceptually don't 'fit' with WP-United. So, for example, a plugin that authenticated against a different location, wouldn't work if user integration was turned on -- it just wouldn't be meaningful.
fireundubh wrote:My plugin authUI displays a front-end authentication form without HTML list tags. Because WP-United adds list tags, part of the form is broken into two lines with the second line prefixed with a list bullet.
I thought I was adhering to WordPress coding guidelines -- all my code should (I think) be prefixed/suffixed with "$before" and "$after", not hard-coded li tags. If it is not, it's a bug -- treat it as such, and I'll fix it for the next release :-) . It's not my mindset to purposefully break your plugin, you know.
fireundubh wrote: I manage the official website of International Game Developers Association, San Diego, powered by WordPress. We don't receive any spam, thanks to Akismet and some .htaccess tricks. We don't have to manage any captchas because those cause problems for many users and so we don't use them. Managing multiple registration queues is a nonissue if the user databases can be kept synchronized such as via cron or even in real time. WP accounts are not as robust, but the login/registration system is easier to handle and use if you look at it as just a form. If authentication is to be handled by phpBB, then users should be able to log into phpBB via WordPress and log into WordPress via phpBB. There has to be a way to maintain a transparent and seamless user experience.
IMO, once the bugs are ironed out, it is a transparent and seamless user experience. You click on "login", you get logged in. The fact that it was phpBB code that performed the login doesn't make it any more or less transparent or seamless.

Secondly, on the spa issue. You should know that this is a very serious issue for phpBB3. Without putting too fine a point on it, it is a scourge that causes many a forum to be filled with filth.

Akismet prevents spam at the posting stage. That's too late for phpBB. By that time, the user/bot has already obtained access to your forums.

the user databases are already kept synchronised -- every time you visit WordPress. WordPress profile details are synchronised to phpBB profiles.
fireundubh wrote: Scroll to the bottom of the my site and register an account. Go to any page. Then log in using the form. You'll see that you stay on the page you were on and the menu changes as appropriate to your account. You always know you're logging into the IGDA San Diego website because you stay on the IGDA San Diego website.
The way WP-United works now is not as transparent. You force users to go somewhere else when they log in. If that someplace else is significantly different in presentation, you are more likely to cause confusion than assure users that what they're doing is what they want to be doing. Moreover, wouldn't you be confused if you were on a blog, reading an article, deciding to comment, logging in to add a comment, and then dragged away to a forum? I would and I bet other people would, too. The authentication system should keep people where they are when they decide to log in or out.
Redirection form the phpBB login screen will take you back to the page you were on -- I just haven't included that feature yet. (this is v0.5 :D )

I see your point r.e. logging in from both sides, I'll think about it but still need some convincing. It may just introduce unneeded complexity TBH. Also, the primary audience for this mod is phpBB users. They're going to want to use the phpBB database as the master.
fireundubh wrote: Modifying application source code to make new features work brings me back to the old days when Perl/CGI scripts were all the rage... I was also under the impression that this beta was a final since you don't mention "beta" at all in your announcement. [I can't believe phpBB still doesn't have an easy plugin system! Wow!!!]
I agree wholeheartedly -- phpBB makes its own life difficult. Upgrading between versions of phpBB, while still an improvement, is a time-consuming process. Do you know, there's an entire PHP diff engine included in the phpBB download, to facilitate upgrading? :lol: Of course, it makes it difficult -- but on the plus side, quick modifications are easier, and there is a slight performance benefit.

You'll notice I didn't make a single change to WordPress -- I didn't need to. Vanilla is an absolute beauty too -- I just prefer phpBB, and also have a couple of sites that historically used phpBB2, and so when the time came to integrate blogs, I worked with what I had. Personally, I love using Vanilla forums, but I fear many of my users would not.

This is the "Mods in development forum", and both the download page and the mod itself are full of warning about it being "Beta" and subject to change.

Many of the glitches you posted about are actually bugs, and should be treated as such.

Once these are ironed out, and we are stable, I'll modularise the code further, so do stay tuned.

For a bit of insight here: The original prototype actually moved all the login code into the WordPress-plugin side of the mod, but it proved buggy, and required core code edits to WordPress as several functions in phpBB & WordPress have the same names.

It actually proved to be much less painful to provide the blog.php entry point, so phpBB can be run first, and compatibility checks could be run prior to invoking WordPress. It also allow for things like caching WordPress templates for people who put phpBB inside a WordPress site.

This will be easier in phpBB3 -- but TBH, the current code already takes great pains, from experience, to step on as little of WordPress as possible. Learning more about your plugins and why they are not compatible, at this stage, would be the best way forward IMO.
phpBB<->WordPress Integration: www.wp-united.com
Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”