[ABD] phpBB Garage 2.0

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Sisem

Re: [BETA] phpBB Garage 2.0

Post by Sisem » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Highway of Life wrote:Sounds like he’s okay, but not online much anymore. His personal circumstances have changed quite a bit.
I hope we’ll see him sometime down the road, but he’s gone for now. Not working online anymore.
We wish him well.
Thanks for the update. Glad to know he's doing ok.

It's a shame if this mod will not be completed as the work on it so far is amazing. Was really looking forward to having it included on my site. But I know there a lot of things more important in life, so I can undersnatnd that this is not a priority now.

Best wishes mate!

Sisem

moifest

Post by moifest » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Gutted.

One of the best mods for phpBB in my opinion.

Hope all gets better for Poyntesm and we see him back on soon.

Will the title of the mod be changed to on hold or similar to reflect the development status.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:57 pm

As some of you may have noticed I am not around much (at all) at the moment. This is due to personal reasons. I have also stepped down from phpBB.com much to my regret as I could just not offer my time and could not expect them to continue to have me on the team and not delivery on what I signed up to do.

So whats the future for phpBB Garage ... well not too bad actually. I have not lost interest in phpBB or in phpBB Garage so thats the first point to be clear on. My commitment to finish this out is 100%.

I expect the be able to have some time to work on the code over the Christmas break and hopefully come back in mid/late January with something for you all to play with. Till then I will not be online/around much, so I will leave the MOD status in the more than capable hands of the MOD team.

moifest

Post by moifest » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Thanks for your dedication to this Mod.

Im sure a lot of people will be releaved to see this is continuing. :P

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:22 pm

I feel for him and hope everything turns out good for him. This is a real bummer though. So near finished! Would be nice if he would let someone else take it over and finish it whether he sold it or donated it. Oh well... I've already decided to resurrect my online magazines so maybe that will do for me and my members.

DUH! Disregard the above. I checked this from a link before these last few messages. :oops:
Some people question my sanity because of the way I run my site. I question my sanity because I do run it.
-David T. Smith-

The Ford Falcon News
Living Off Grid in Terlingua Texas

Joshua2100

Post by Joshua2100 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:30 am

awesome to hear you're ok!
also awesome to hear the mod will be finished!!

:D :D

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:44 am

poyntesm wrote:I expect the be able to have some time to work on the code over the Christmas break and hopefully come back in mid/late January with something for you all to play with. Till then I will not be online/around much, so I will leave the MOD status in the more than capable hands of the MOD team.
You know we will always keep a seat warm for your MOD. :D
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Nice to see that you are OK, poyntesm !!!
I read you had an accident - I hope that you are OK now !!!
Best regards,
ChriZ
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Well small update post. 2.0.0-BETA3 is cooking nicely in the oven :D

I expect to have a release within the next two weeks, and maybe even a little earlier. There is now a fancy pants installer. So provided your board is not MOD'd beyond all common sense chances are you are not going to need to edit a single file. Upload, click and viola its installed. The new installer handles all DB work (permissions, modules etc..) and all style work in both DB & filesystem and all core file edits. From time files are uploaded to you having a running garage is abuot 10 seconds if you can click fast enough.

CSS support is still the weak link, but I am hoping to get a CSS person onboard to tweak it all up very soon. I think is just small changes required to make it look 100%.

There also will be updater packages just like phpBB itself (guess where large portions of code came from ;)) so keeping up to date will be easy. Conversions from phpBBGarage v1 will also be arriving very soon if not in this BETA and 100% in the next & should you want it a uninstaller that will revert your board back to having no trace of phpBBGarage...although why you would need it I have no idea.

So hope that helps some understand the current status/plan. I have not been around much but things are slowly getting more normal for me and phpBB Garage is slowly getting back on track.

moifest

Post by moifest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 am

poyntesm wrote:So provided your board is not MOD'd beyond all common sense chances are you are not going to need to edit a single file.
What exactly does that cover as I plan to use the garage but already have 4 or 5 MODs running on the board.

Will there be a way around this if it causes problems with MODs already installed or style edits as I have changed quite a few things in some of the templates.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:31 am

I am currently testing some mod'd boards. The important part of my statement was MOD'd beyond all common sense. So I think with 4-5 you should be OK.

Do not forget this is just for the clever autoinstaller. If that will not work you can follow the manual proceed like any other mod.

moifest

Post by moifest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Excellent, I have a non-live board if you need it tested on a pre modded board.

RooMeat

Post by RooMeat » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:21 am

Great to hear the Garage is still progressing :)
I hope everything works out for the best for you.
Looking forward to a usable version :)
Live site: http://www.ozsportsbikes.com (Converted from Nuked phpbb2 to stand alone phpBB3)
Test site: http://www.ozsuperbikes.com
Local Test site with XAMPP

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:46 am

It sounds like the installer is going to be GREAT, but I have a question about how it works. Not so much about the installer, but the updater. I.e. like updating from one version of phpBB3 to another. It has always bombed out when it got to the FTP part so from probably as far back as Beta1 I've had to just upload the new version, replace the config.php with my old one and then update the database. This would mean that everything as far as updating the garage once installed would have to be manual? That could turn in to a real pain in the rear. Will there be a way around this?
Some people question my sanity because of the way I run my site. I question my sanity because I do run it.
-David T. Smith-

The Ford Falcon News
Living Off Grid in Terlingua Texas

JunglistPerfection

Post by JunglistPerfection » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:06 am

tffnguy wrote:It sounds like the installer is going to be GREAT, but I have a question about how it works. Not so much about the installer, but the updater. I.e. like updating from one version of phpBB3 to another. It has always bombed out when it got to the FTP part so from probably as far back as Beta1 I've had to just upload the new version, replace the config.php with my old one and then update the database. This would mean that everything as far as updating the garage once installed would have to be manual? That could turn in to a real pain in the rear. Will there be a way around this?
Yeah, that's something I would like to know also.

@poyntesm
If you need any testers for the phpBB Garage, I would like to help out.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”