[ABD] Calendar (On Hold)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

[ABD] Calendar (On Hold)

Post by ckwalsh »

Note to everyone: Work on this MOD is on hold and I have no estimate on when it will be done. See more info here

MOD Title: Calendar
MOD Description: A Calendar for phpBB3. Features list below. I'll make a nice pretty MOD description as this MOD nears completion.
MOD Version: Dev

MOD Download: Not Yet
Last Stable version: None

Demo Board: Not Yet
Demo Username: Not Yet
Demo Password: Not Yet

Planned Features
  • Month, Week, Day, and Event Views
  • Calendar Moderator Permissions
  • Different Calendar Categories with changeable colors
  • Users can add personal events
  • API for getting events from other pages
  • BBcode and Smilies support in events
  • Modular system for coding new calendars
Notes
5/23/07
I'm open to suggestions for features. I do have school and other real life events, so development may be slow.
Last edited by ckwalsh on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
jerx

Re: [DEV] Calendar

Post by jerx »

The feature set looks good. Two suggestions: recurring events (eg every two weeks, last saturday of the month, etc) and attendances (lists users who are going to attend an event).
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Grab phpbb3's birthday info!
MFoolsRun

Post by MFoolsRun »

iCal/vCal support, both import and especially export would be key to a modern calendar application. RSS (daily, weekly, etc) would be nice, too, or at least some capacity to template output into formats like RSS.

--
M
interested123

Post by interested123 »

Google Calendar, Windows Vista Calendar and Kiko support
ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

its good
thank you :)
-ds-

Post by -ds- »

Is this going to be a forum (topic) calendar?

IE: Through the forum admin you enable calendar events for a specific forum, then when posting in a forum with calendar events enabled you get an additional start date & end date fields.
So Events are simply posted like a topic.

What I don't really want is a seperate posting form for events. In forums / topics would be great, just like the Topic Calendar: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1657

miniCal & iCal support would be great.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Great to see someone has started development on a Calendar MOD. :good:
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
ckwalsh
Former Team Member

Post by ckwalsh »

-ds- wrote:Is this going to be a forum (topic) calendar?

IE: Through the forum admin you enable calendar events for a specific forum, then when posting in a forum with calendar events enabled you get an additional start date & end date fields.

What I don't really want is a seperate posting form for events. In forums / topics would be great, just like the Topic Calendar: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1657

I was planning on having it pretty much separate from the posting system, but if people want it I could make it a topic calendar. However, this would force me to remove a couple of th features up there, such as personal events.

Also, people have mentioned miniCal and ICal. I have not used them a lot, so what sort of "support" do people want with them.
jerx

Post by jerx »

Brainy wrote:
-ds- wrote:Is this going to be a forum (topic) calendar?

I was planning on having it pretty much separate from the posting system, but if people want it I could make it a topic calendar. However, this would force me to remove a couple of th features up there, such as personal events.

Also, people have mentioned miniCal and ICal. I have not used them a lot, so what sort of "support" do people want with them.
Decide between topic calendar and personal events? I think my vote goes to personal events. I think that it is better to seperate calendar and topics on large forums anyway. Usually there are less (public) events than topics every day.

I am using the miniCal addon on the smartor portal. It displays upcoming events, upcoming birthdays and a small calendar of the current month.
T50

Post by T50 »

wait, so you can't have personal AND forum events posted on the calendar? this sounds kinda odd, I would think that this would be possible, just have an option to create a calendar event when posting, and have the other option in UCP for personal events
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

sorry, wrong thread
Last edited by Martin Truckenbrodt on Fri May 25, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
jerx

Post by jerx »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
check the Full Album Pack for more features that could be included. FAP is based on Smartor's album.

The last update for Smartor's ahs been pulished only some months ago. So it's not dead :!:

IMO I would be better to validate the FAP into the MOD database.

The second popular album for phpBB is coppermine.

Bye Martin
You posted a similar answer to the gallery topic (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=544915). Did you really mean to post this here?

But you could indeed adapt some features from photo gallery scripts:
1. comments
2. ratings
4. recent comments
5. best rated
6. most viewed
7. recent posted
8. favorite events (either private view or public view)
9. search
10. categories
11. display random event on index (maybe limited to upcoming events)
12. recommend event by email to other people

Birthdays

My calendar' s month overview displays every birthday on a single day (eg user a 25 years, user b 33 years, etc). This slows down the calendar a lot. The inbuilt vbulletin calendar only shows every single birthday if that day has less than 5 birthdays. If there are more it just tells you the amount of birthdays as a link, which takes you to the day overview where every single birthday is displayed.

Topics

I just found another cool feature. List all topics created in that month or day. You can see an example here:
http://www.mediengestalter.info/kalender/
I think this should be displayed similar to birthdays. If there are more topics than a given number, the month overview should only display the amount of created topics. If there are only a few topics the topic titles should be displayed.

Normal calendar vs topic calendar

The more I think about topic calendar vs normal calendar, the more I lean towards normal calendar. I think it is just a waste of disk space to have both in one table and it probably has a negative performance impact.

My forum for instance has more than 2000 topics, but not even 100 are events. So each time the calendar wants to pull the upcoming events, the script has to look through 1900 unnecessary rows.

Moreover I have additional fields for creating events (where does the event take place (required field), how much is the admission fee (required) and are their any specials (optional field). These three fields are definately not needed for normal events. I have made one forum an event forum to be able to check whether the additional event fields are needed while posting. So there is only one forum for events and 30 for normal topics, but the script has to run the queries on every new topic, too.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

I vote for normal calendar. I use snail sources right now and it works great, beacauseI have re-occuring events, special events,... that I post for our club. But would like to see what someone comes up with.
ckwalsh
Former Team Member

Post by ckwalsh »

I've got an idea that should hopefully allow for a basic set of events for everyone, as well as allow for more to be added rather easily.

I am coding right now a Calendar Abstraction Layer. There will be one for the birthdays, one for topic events, and one for personal events. They will have auth support and are totally independent. In the ACP, calendars can be added, disabled, etc.

Thoughts?

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”