[ABD] Calendar (On Hold)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
jerx

Re: [DEV] Calendar

Post by jerx »

I have no idea what an abstraction layer is, but I think it means that each is stored in its own table, right?

I think it is ok to use the user table to pull the birthdays, no need to have a new table for that. But I would prefer to have public events and personal events stored in two new tables and keep the topics table unmodified.

As I said before, I vote for a normal calendar now. The only problem I see is that you need to code the commenting / notification on new comments stuff.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Sounds good to me. 8-)
I am coding right now a Calendar Abstraction Layer. There will be one for the birthdays, one for topic events, and one for personal events. They will have auth support and are totally independent. In the ACP, calendars can be added, disabled, etc.

Thoughts?
midwestbonsai

Post by midwestbonsai »

I don't know if this has been said yet or not, but it would be nice if upcoming items on the calendar could be displayed on the forum index.
sieben

Post by sieben »

is it possible to have an extra field for typing the date in front of the topic title? with the creation of this topic it should be a new event in the calendar and the event in the calendar should be a link to the topic. the topics in the forum i want to use this feature should be able to sort by date. is this possible with this mod?
andynf

Post by andynf »

will other users beable to see what everyone has posted
ecshacker

Post by ecshacker »

For a portal, for example, canver portal, include code for a block that shows a mini calender and you can change months using AJAX and click on only the dates with an event, and they open in a little popup with the even description.
jerx

Post by jerx »

ecshacker wrote:... click on only the dates with an event, and they open in a little popup with the even description.
I prefer opening the description in the main window. There would be too many events, birthdays and probably topics on each day, so that a pop-up is not appropriate.
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

The way I've set it up is each module will specify what should be linked to. Thus, birthdays will go to user profiles, normal calendar events will go to the respective topics, and personal events will go to the UCP.

Due to real life, I must admit that work on this MOD has been slow. Sorry about that.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
Appaz

Post by Appaz »

At first i would like to say that mod is going to bee great and thanks to the author for his work and time :)
looking forward to modify my phpbb3 :)

At second:
might be usefull to add a feature when posting an event to calendar, user can pick an option to show that event to usergrops. for example - chweck checkbox "show to moderators" and "show to groupname"
same thing - user could mark checkbox - "show this event only to friends".
People won't work. Successful idea will.
Mitron

Post by Mitron »

I'm not sure if this is at all possible as it seems most calendar implimentations seem to miss it. In any case, it would be cool if the calendar could list both the actual birthday of a user as well as the recurring event from that point on.

Most calendar implimentations simply list the user on the month and day for every year you can select (even on the year(s) before they were born). The events portion doesn't distinguish between the actual date of birth and subsequent birthdays. The current TopicCalendar for phpBB 2.x.x won't even list birthdays on the events page if they already occured in previous months of the current year.

So if I browse the calendar to my date of birth it would say Mitron was born, but on this year's birthday it would say Mitron's xxth birthday. Also, if I browse to the year before I was born I would not be listed at all. Does that sound too difficult? :)
ckwalsh
Former Team Member

Post by ckwalsh »

Mitron wrote:I'm not sure if this is at all possible as it seems most calendar implimentations seem to miss it. In any case, it would be cool if the calendar could list both the actual birthday of a user as well as the recurring event from that point on.

Most calendar implimentations simply list the user on the month and day for every year you can select (even on the year(s) before they were born). The events portion doesn't distinguish between the actual date of birth and subsequent birthdays. The current TopicCalendar for phpBB 2.x.x won't even list birthdays on the events page if they already occured in previous months of the current year.

So if I browse the calendar to my date of birth it would say Mitron was born, but on this year's birthday it would say Mitron's xxth birthday. Also, if I browse to the year before I was born I would not be listed at all. Does that sound too difficult? :)
Already working on it :D. I must admit, I hadn't thought through exactly what to do for the day someone was born, but other than that I've got it.
eugene187

Post by eugene187 »

this mod sounds incredible, the one thing i would love to see is a simple block output for the main index similar to the minical index option for the snailsource callite mod

-e
Mitron

Post by Mitron »

Brainy wrote:Already working on it :D. I must admit, I hadn't thought through exactly what to do for the day someone was born, but other than that I've got it.
Awesome. You might also consider what to do in a possible case that someone doesn't what to display their actual date of birth. In that instance you could either start the listing from thier sign on date, simply not list it at all or only display it on the day of their birthday. That could indeed get tricky, but I was considering TerraFrost's birthday mod for 2.x.x which actually gave you the option whether or not to display their age or even their birthday at all. Something to at least think about.

Would definately consider using this on a number of systems. Way to go on committing to such a project. I wish I had more time. :)
zenkinz

Post by zenkinz »

will this import/migrate the calendar data from phpbb 2.x to 3.x?
ckwalsh
Former Team Member

Post by ckwalsh »

zenkinz wrote:will this import/migrate the calendar data from phpbb 2.x to 3.x?
At this point I can only say maybe. It will definitely be a low priority; I want to get the core code working first. Hopefully I will get around to it.

If I do make a converter, it will only work with calendar MODs from this site.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”