[ABD] Paid Subscriptions.

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
StyleSupportMIDI

Re: [DEV] Paid Subscriptions.

Post by StyleSupportMIDI »

I'm new to this but it may be of some help.

This is a copy of a few paragraphs out of a book called PayPal Hack's

As you know PayPal offers a subscription service, (I have a sample of the "hack" if it would prove useful.)
But, if you offer access to an online resource, it can be a pain to mange all the subscribers manually. You'll have to monitor your PayPal account or email notifications, activate service each time you get a new subcriber, email customers their usernames and passwords, and deactivate the accounts of cancelled subscribers precisely at each subscription's end of term. It goes on and on. That ain't any kind of fun.

If you are an experienced programmer, you can take advantage of "Instant Payment Notifications" (IPN) to update suscriber lists and send out passwords automatically, but that requires a fair amount of knowledge, expertise, and patience. To help online merchants, PayPal offers a Password Management feature, including a complementary Perl script, that makes thing much easier.

The Passsword Management feature takes PayPal's standard subscriptions service one step further by automatically generating usernames ans passwords for your subscribers. PayPal displays the newly created username and password to each new subscriber upon signup. Subscripbers should probably write them down, because they aren't memorable. For example, a username might be pp-cookankle with a password sagalglint. Occasionally you'll get even stranger combinations.

Subscripbers can always find their usernames and passwords in the subscription details page at the PayPal web site. You can provide your customers with a shortcut to thisl link (where merchant-email is the email address of the merchant - in this case you);

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... hant_email

The link takes each subscriber to his own History page at PayPal and shows a list of any and all subscriptions purchase from you. Merchants can also pull down a list of subscribers, including usernames and password, in a downloadable log.

To use Password Management, you must first run your own Apache web server on Unix or Linux (or use a hosting provider that offers it; the vast majority of host do) Password Management works with .htpasswd and .htaccess files used by Linux/Unix and Apache as described at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html.
The Perl script in this hack works in conjunction with the Password Management option on the PayPal system, IPN, and your web server to automatically add and remove users from your .htpasswd and .htaccess files and thus provide immediate password-protected access to new subscribers

End of story

I'm not sure if this can be implemeted in the MOD discussed here at this forum, but I would hope this could be a consideration.

Thanks
wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 »

Has development on this stopped? Doesn't seem like much is going on with it. Seems very useful though!
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Not stopped no .. slowed a little due to work commitments. To stay up to date just check the topic. No need to PM or email me. I will always keep the thread updated. No post means no news to pass on.

I have stated before I need it so I will be writing it, maybe someone beats me to it, maybe not.

As for charges from payments gateways that is 100% up to the gateway. Google checkout have a good offer at the moment although that may change. That is why I am writing it to support multiple gateways. ;)

Also some people still posting about pay to do X or pay to do Y. Please please please read what I am saying. You are paying for subscription to a group. After that what permissions that group has or what meaning on your board a group has is 100% up to you.
johnnie_swiss

Post by johnnie_swiss »

i appreciate the work :-) and more so that you have better things to do than devote all your time to this mod! looks good though...

go have a beer or a coffee or something :D
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

My current project is in the middle of rollout to 45,000 users :o so is VERY time consuming!! Was not giving out ... just explaining!! And yes I think a beer is needed today!!
Baby Boy

Post by Baby Boy »

Can't wait to see it working but if you ask me, this already sounds like a mod I've already started on. (I started it for the phpBB2 system but am getting ready to merge whatever is done now into the phpBB3 system and continue working.)

All in all, will like to see it once its done.
Need a Fresh phpBB Installed, Upgraded or Hooked Up with Some NICE Mods. Send me an email... mdstreetsoulja@gmail.com for more info.

CashTalkz Dot Net - Participate in the Forum and Earn Money!
BeautyGal

Post by BeautyGal »

Babyboy so maybe you can work with them to further develop this mod into a superb mod? Eh? ;)
Baby Boy

Post by Baby Boy »

^^ Beauty Gal:

Its always a possibility, never say never. We'll see what happens and if anymore development occurs in this mod and like I said, if it does get put out before mines, I'll still continue to develop mines and maybe some how in the far out (but NOT TOO FAR) future, me and poyntesm could make these 2 meet in the middle or something.
Need a Fresh phpBB Installed, Upgraded or Hooked Up with Some NICE Mods. Send me an email... mdstreetsoulja@gmail.com for more info.

CashTalkz Dot Net - Participate in the Forum and Earn Money!
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Very much interested in this.
How are the development?
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

How is this going and is it coming along good?
episode

Post by episode »

OK, check this out. Since I've been using phpBB my Programming Team (completely involved within my site where phpBB rc3 is used) has been getting a lot done and I might add that they are getting, if not already, very experienced. More and more programmers are signing up with us and the request for paying for programs coded by my Programming Staff is in need of a certain type of payment method. I read through all the posted comments and suggestions and this is my thought on the subject. (I'm, at the moment, very excited to see a wire-transfer method being initiated within phpBB)

I'm looking at the development you have in your sight and where you're coming from is a Must Have for phpBB as an option. The way I wish to setup payment methods are as follows:

I want ANYONE who decides to register with with my site do so freely, at absolutely no cost to them, with full or standard access after accepted and assigned to their proper user group decided upon by my Staff of moderators/administrators affiliated with my forums. All active/registered users may browse, post, reply, suggest, upload etc. at absolutely no cost. This is where the payment method for my site is defined:

For my site I want to be able to upload/download any applications submitted by my Programming Team, or applications submitted by any member of my Forum, but before DOWNLOADING files that my Staff has uploaded I need to have it setup where all New Registered Users can view or post anything in the forum, but restrict them to a flat 1-time fee of the predetermined amount in order to download my Programming Team's submitted applications. Once the transaction has been approved, Admin/Moderators will be able to give the New Registered User the proper permissions (setup through the ACP) to proceed to download all and/or any Applications posted on my site at any given time.

Basically what I think is that the new development on the Paid Subscriptions Topic, active in this phpBB community forum, should have the above option available and easily configured through the ACP. New permissions should also have a choice to add a New Registered User to a MODIFIED user group where you can assign a roll with a relevant title such as "Paid Download Subscriber - Full Access" for people who paid their 1-time flat fee, giving them permission/full access to downloading my Programming Team's Application. Paypal would probably be the best in this case with a PayPal Account Setup/Configuration Settings available under the ACP.

Please consider this option while developing your Paid Subscriptions Modification along with all the other phpBB Community Members ideas on this suggested topic for development. It would be nice to have ALL of the Community's payment ideas brought to them in one package. The best way I can see it is that, after deciding on what options you are going to program, have them ALL available under the ACP and let the users themselves setup their own Paid Subscriptions to be applied to their Boards as the User sees fit.

You gotta really make a Payment method for people to be allowed to download files, especially when they belong to you and you have put in hours of work in coding applications like my Programming Team has.

Anyone?
~episode
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

I have stated and seems I need to state it AGAIN ... this is payment to get membership to a group. That is all. I am just a MOD author writing a MOD I need. Its not my job to develop a payment system to cover all phpBB users needs. Not meaning to offend or annoying anyone but this is the scope of the MOD. The scope is not going to change.

Sorry if that means feature 'x' is not included and you need it, I am writing this to meet my own needs and will release the code so anyone with the same needs can use it. It will be GPL and as such anyone is free to take it and ammend/change it to their own needs provided they follow GPL limitations. Also as per my post above I will post any updates ... no updates = no news. I expected a mid-september beta release roughly.
TRICHES.FR

Post by TRICHES.FR »

poyntesm wrote:I have stated and seems I need to state it AGAIN ... this is payment to get membership to a group. That is all. I am just a MOD author writing a MOD I need. Its not my job to develop a payment system to cover all phpBB users needs. Not meaning to offend or annoying anyone but this is the scope of the MOD. The scope is not going to change.

Sorry if that means feature 'x' is not included and you need it, I am writing this to meet my own needs and will release the code so anyone with the same needs can use it. It will be GPL and as such anyone is free to take it and ammend/change it to their own needs provided they follow GPL limitations. Also as per my post above I will post any updates ... no updates = no news. I expected a mid-september beta release roughly.
Indeed, this is not a reaquest, it's a dev so it is at it is .... Though in the future, if other MOD writters could, Ad-ons would be a possibility ...

When do you think this MOD will reach Alpha stage by the way ?
Geisthund

Post by Geisthund »

Hi episode

Skimmed your post so may have missed the point.
Seems to me all you need to do is bar downloading to everyone except those that subscribe to a specific usergroup. You can add or remove permissions via the ACP.
Geisthund

Post by Geisthund »

poyntesm wrote:I expected a mid-september beta release roughly.
That's great news and should fit in perfect with my plans to swtich to phpBB3 early November.
Gareth
Ps If you need any beta testing please pm me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”