[ABD] MediaWiki login integration

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
yossa

Re: [ALPHA] MediaWiki login integration

Post by yossa » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:40 pm

I would really like an update on the status of this mod and even more so a detailed instructions on how to use it.

I have copied the provided files to correct loactions, modified the MediaWiki config file and set auth mode to MW through phpBB ACP

When I register or log in from MediaWiki nothing happens on the message board, not even errors of any kind. I am using the newest versions of both packages and even something as simple as stating that this won't work with these versions would suffice.

But I think I speak for many users here when I say that with no instructions given it's not simple to get this mod to work.
I'm a cow
Mars is red
Go on buddy
Eat my Head

EtSuGu

Post by EtSuGu » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:00 pm

yossa wrote:I would really like an update on the status of this mod and even more so a detailed instructions on how to use it.
I second that. Damnian please take pitty on us :P :)

Skullsplitter

Post by Skullsplitter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:28 pm

I'd try to offer you guys some help, but it was a few weeks ago I installed this and I didn't encounter any problems, so my memory is fuzzy on the implementation and what could go wrong. It seemed straightforward and clear to me at the time.

The reason I signed up is to post a problem I'm having. Occasionally users are being logged out of the wiki (but not the forum). This is intermittant, in my experience it's more likely to happen with long periods of inactivity, perhaps because a session in the wiki times out before the forum. I've briefly looked at how sessions might time out in mediawiki and haven't had any luck. I have reports that it's more likely to happen when following links to wiki pages from the forum, but in my experience users don't describe bugs very well.

Anyone experience anything like that?

It's installed at http://www.skullsplitters.org

vonedaddy

Post by vonedaddy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:43 pm

I am having problems with this. I have phpbb2 installed in root directory and mediawiki in /wiki

I followed these instructions:

Code: Select all

File Version: $Id: README,v 1.8 2007/10/03 14:51:05 nkd Exp $

Create a group in PHPBB for your wiki users. I named mine "Wiki". 
You will need to put the name you choose in the code below. 

NOTE: In order for a user to be able to use the wiki they will need to 
be a member of the group you made in the step above.

Put Auth_phpbb.php in /extensions/
Put iAuthPlugin.php in /extensions/

Open LocalSettings.php. Put this at the bottom of the file. Edit as needed.

/*-----------------[ Everything below this line. ]-----------------*/

// PHPBB User Database Plugin. (Requires MySQL Database)
require_once './extensions/Auth_phpBB.php';

$wgAuth_Config = array(); // Clean.

$wgAuth_Config['WikiGroupName'] = 'Wiki';       // Name of your PHPBB group
                                                // users need to be a member
                                                // of to use the wiki. (i.e. Wiki)

$wgAuth_Config['UseWikiGroup'] = true;          // This tells the Plugin to require
                                                // a user to be a member of the above
                                                // phpBB group. (ie. wiki) Setting
                                                // this to false will let any phpBB
                                                // user edit the wiki.

$wgAuth_Config['UseExtDatabase'] = true;        // This tells the plugin that the phpBB tables
                                                // are in a different database then the wiki.
                                                // The default settings is false.

/*-[NOTE: You only need the next four settings if you set $wgAuth_Config['UseExtDatabase'] to true.]-*/
// $wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Host']        = 'host';            // phpBB MySQL Host Name.
// $wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Username']    = 'username';        // phpBB MySQL Username.
// $wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Password']    = 'password';        // phpBB MySQL Password.
// $wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Database']    = 'database_name';   // phpBB MySQL Database Name.

$wgAuth_Config['UserTB']         = 'phpbb_users';       // Name of your PHPBB user table. (i.e. phpbb_users)
$wgAuth_Config['GroupsTB']       = 'phpbb_groups';      // Name of your PHPBB groups table. (i.e. phpbb_groups)
$wgAuth_Config['User_GroupTB']   = 'phpbb_user_group';  // Name of your PHPBB user_group table. (i.e. phpbb_user_group)
$wgAuth_Config['PathToPHPBB']    = '../phpbb3/';        // Path from this file to your phpBB install.

// Local
$wgAuth_Config['LoginMessage']   = '<b>You need a phpBB account to login.</b>';         // Localize this message.
$wgAuth_Config['NoWikiError']    = 'You are not a member of the required phpBB group.'; // Localize this message.

$wgAuth = new Auth_phpBB($wgAuth_Config);     // Auth_PHPBB Plugin.

Now my php works fine, but blank screen in the wiki pages? Anyone have any ideas? I edited all the necessary info in the added code also.
:VONEDADDY:
WWW.HEREYAH.COM

piegus

Post by piegus » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:40 pm

I have a queston. Is this mod is compatible with phpBB 3.0.0 and mediaWiki. Or is this mod need to be rewrited??

Nais

Post by Nais » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:20 am

piegus wrote:I have a queston. Is this mod is compatible with phpBB 3.0.0 and mediaWiki. Or is this mod need to be rewrited??
I'm using the latest versions of both (that'd be with mediawiki 1.11.0) and it works just fine for me.

It has been a long time since I installed it, but if anyone has questions on how to get it to work, I'll try to help you out. It doesn't look like damnian is going to be working on this anymore. :(

piegus

Post by piegus » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:23 pm

Nais wrote:I'm using the latest versions of both (that'd be with mediawiki 1.11.0) and it works just fine for me.
So you tell me that 3.0.0 Gold and MediaWiki (newest) is working with this realase (brigde) from damnian

Nais

Post by Nais » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:16 am

piegus wrote:
Nais wrote:I'm using the latest versions of both (that'd be with mediawiki 1.11.0) and it works just fine for me.
So you tell me that 3.0.0 Gold and MediaWiki (newest) is working with this realase (brigde) from damnian
It's running with phpbb3 gold and mediawiki 1.11.0. As far as I know it's also the latest version of damnian's mediawiki auth plugin. Albeit with the occasional auto-login oddities, which I don't care too much about anyway, it works fine.

Ratmaster

Post by Ratmaster » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:35 pm

I don't get it. All you have to do is make those files and it will work?

prnoct90

Post by prnoct90 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 pm

I don't understand how do you download/implement this?

Nais

Post by Nais » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Here's how I did it (hopefully I remember everything):
  • Download the files, auth_mediawiki.php and mediawiki.php, from damnian's SVN: https://damnian.svn.sourceforge.net/svn ... Wiki/root/
  • Copy auth_mediawiki.php into your /includes/auth/ folder of your phpBB3 installation. Create it if needed.
  • Copy "mediawiki.php" into languages/en/auth (or appropriate language folder). Again, create the "auth" folder if needed.
  • Once the 2 files are copied, enter your Admin Control Panel. Go to the Authentication section of Client Communications. For "Select an authentication method" choose Mediawiki from the dropdown box. Scroll down to "MediaWiki installation path:". Here you enter the installation path of your Mediawiki installation, relative to your phpBB3 installation. This is the folder that contains the LocalSettings.php file. You may also choose a custom field that'll accept the Real Name data from the Mediawiki registrations. I chose none.
  • In order for the autlogin to work, you need to tell Mediawiki to accept the appropriate cookies. This is done by adding the following section to your LocalSettings.php

$wgCookieDomain = '.domain.com';
    $wgCookiePath = '/'; // Optional, defaults to '/'
    $wgCookieSecure = false;  // Optional, only change on scheme mismatch

The important part is the $wgCookieDomain. "Domain.com" is of course the name of your domain.
    • If your wiki and your forums are in subfolders of the same domain, then set it to:http://www.domain.com
    • If your wiki and forums exist on sub-domains of a given domain (ie wiki.domain.com and forum.domain.com) set it to: .domain.com
      The other options you can adjust as needed, but I've left them as is.
  • At this point the the authentication should be functional. But the integration is still not complete. Here are some things you'll want to change.
    • Redirect the forum's registration link to go to the wiki's registration page. There are a number of ways of doing this. I did it in a hackish sort of way by editing includes/functions.php, finding the line:

'U_REGISTER'			=>[code] 
      and setting that to something like [code]append_sid("http://www.domain.com/wiki/Special:Userlogin&type=signup"),
      which is the wiki registration page. Remember to change "domain.com/wiki" accordingly.
  • Deactivate the Edit Account Settings module from the User control panel. This is because these settings are now handled by the wiki.
    • Go to Admin Control Panel. Go to the System tab. Pick User Control Panel. Click on Profile. Next to Edit Account Settings, click on disable.
I'm afraid I can't offer a ton of help on the intricacies of how the plugin operates or troubleshooting other problems. I can only help with the limited experience of problems that I've run into, and there haven't been many. Hopefully some other developer will pick up this project and can put the finishing polish on it.

Twill

Post by Twill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:32 am

So, this integrated the phpBB userbase into the mediawiki userbase?

What if we have an existing phpBB userbase and are wanting media wiki to call that for login data rather than the other way around?

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks
Twill

Nais

Post by Nais » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Twill wrote:What if we have an existing phpBB userbase and are wanting media wiki to call that for login data rather than the other way around?
One solution I know of is the phpBB extension for Mediawiki. I've not used it though so I'm not sure how successful it is.

TrafficJan82

Post by TrafficJan82 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:09 pm

This is a great MOD and exactly what I need, thanks for all the hard work.

Unfortunately, I have found that changing the authentication away from db to Mediawiki doesn't allow me to log in as admin anymore, since the admin account is stored in the phpbb database. Is there any way around this?

Please help, I really need this login integration.

Thanks,
TrafficJan82

Edit: I've solved my own problem. It's simply a matter of creating a Wiki account with the same username and password as the admin account for phpBB. Then the login works, and the account has access to the ACP.

gc2008

Re: [ALPHA] MediaWiki login integration for LDAP

Post by gc2008 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:57 am

Hi Nais, I am planning to use both MediaWiki and PHPBB for my site. This MOD is cool to integrate the login process. However, I am in a unique situation. We are using LDAP as the user registry. Which means, user register into the LDAP tree via an external registration page. I am aware of the MediaWiki LDAP extension and also PHPBB seems to support LDAP as authentication. Now, the question is whether I can use this MOD if my user registry is LDAP rather than MySQL table? Your input is appreciated!

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”