[ABD]RSS Feed Poster

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
MasterZ

[ABD]RSS Feed Poster

Post by MasterZ »

MOD Title: RSS Feed Poster
MOD Description: This MOD will read RSS feeds that you specify and post new feeds as a message in the forum that is given.
MOD Version: 0.0.0

MOD Download: Not Available at this time.
Last Stable version: N/A

Demo Board: None yet
Demo Username:
Demo Password:

Road Map
[DEV] 0.0.1
- Learn how to create ACP page
- Create ACP page for settings
- - Give link to RSS feed, set forum to post in, and delete button
- - Set how often to check for updated feeds
- - Set a new username that will be the poster of each feed
- - Add option to keep feeds in the same thread (thanks interested123)
- Create user to post feeds
- Save settings into the database

[DEV] 0.0.2
- Learn how to get RSS information and parse it
- Display feeds in a test page to make sure we can get that part to work

[DEV] 0.0.3
- Learn how to post messages into phpBB
- Format and post feed information
- Find way to recognize already posted feed from a new feed

[BETA] 0.1
- Test and find bugs

Future Features
* Possibly posting Podcasts video or audio message in a post?
* Customizable post for feeds (thanks thelinx)

This is my first mod and I am fairly new to RSS feeds, so I will probably need some help along the way.
I will not have much time to work on this this week, but I hope to get 0.0.1 completed and a good chunk of 0.0.2 done by this weekend.

More information and to offer help may also be found Here
Last edited by MasterZ on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
carmelomvp

Re: [DEV]RSS Feed Poster

Post by carmelomvp »

thanks I found this mod, when is released?

Thanks!
zs6ro

Post by zs6ro »

I've been waiting for someone to come up with what i think you are developing !!!

With phpBB2 there was a MOD called "FIND" which I use on my old board successfully ... It would take selected feeds from other sites and create unique topics on my board .. My users and myself as well, enjoyed them ...

If I recall, the Admin was able to set "how often to check for updated feeds" .. Different feeds would update at different times, some only once a day, some twice a day and even some who would update every hour ..

I'm looking forward to your progress and if I can beta test on a phpBB RC2 board, let me know ...
ZS6RO
thelinx
Name: Linus

Post by thelinx »

You should be able to specify different usernames for different feeds, too.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

zs6ro wrote:With phpBB2 there was a MOD called "FIND" which I use on my old board successfully
Could you please point me to the direction of this mod? It might make a few things that I am doing easier, or at least give me an idea about things.
thelinx wrote:You should be able to specify different usernames for different feeds, too.
Good idea, I will add that
carmelomvp wrote:thanks I found this mod, when is released?
No guarantees, expect that it will be awhile.
zs6ro

Post by zs6ro »

ZS6RO
cornnfedd

Post by cornnfedd »

im also looking forward to this one.
Mazda Rotary Videos Online Free braptv.com
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

I started reading the MOD documentation last night, it's a lot of stuff to go by but I'm sure that I can do it in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm really looking forward to this mod :)
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

I thought of another feature to add to this later on, after the main part works.

Allow users to add their own rss feeds that gets PM'ed to them when it is updated. Basically like a feed reader for individuals
zs6ro

Post by zs6ro »

MasterZ,
Allow users to add their own rss feeds that gets PM'ed to them when it is updated. Basically like a feed reader for individuals
From what I understand you will be creating topics with your RSS incoming feeds from other remote websites ... Why not then focus on making PM's of any Topics rather than just the RSS feeds ?? .. Let the User set up what Topics he wants to be subscriobed too .. (I think there is a Mod out for this already) ..

That way you encompass ALL "User-subscribed" Topics instead of just RSS feeds into the PM ...
ZS6RO
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

zs6ro wrote:MasterZ,
From what I understand you will be creating topics with your RSS incoming feeds from other remote websites ... Why not then focus on making PM's of any Topics rather than just the RSS feeds ?? .. Let the User set up what Topics he wants to be subscriobed too .. (I think there is a Mod out for this already) ..

That way you encompass ALL "User-subscribed" Topics instead of just RSS feeds into the PM ...
Maybe later. For now I'm only going to focus on RSS feeds.
interested123

Post by interested123 »

I have requested this so many times and am really waiting for it. This is the only one feature I have missed on moving over from vBulletin (which has in inbuilt RSS Feed manager) to Phpbb3. So MasterZ, I hope it will be soon. Thanks. :D

Please parse the full html in the RSS feed like embedded flash and youtube videos, flash mp3 players, jpg and gif files, ahref links etc.

A feature suggestion for the future: an option to add the new parsed RSS feed items into the same topic so that we can have only one topic for one RSS feed if required. This feature is there in ArticleBot.
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

That will be a good option to allow each feed to repost in the same topic.

I plan on doing as much video integration as I can later (for video podcasts and such), but that will be much later.

I don't know how long this is going to take. Normally it looks pretty simple to do, but I know nothing of programming for phpBB, so it will take some time for me to read up on how to do this stuff. I have been reading the documentation but I don't think I will understand it until I just jump in and get working on it.

Any help on training me will be greatly appreciated by me and all who want this MOD :D
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

So, if I get this correct....

Creating the info class is the setup instructions.
Modes are for each function that I may want to do, like add rss feed, add user, delete user, etc
the acp page with the main performs the specified functions based on what mode was sent to it
Language file sets up the text for the acp tab
html file is the actual display and html part of each forum.

If the above statements are correct, how do I add a second list to my tab? Like a short list of things to do on the left that are under that one tab?

Can somebody confirm what I just said is accurate and answer this question?
thelinx
Name: Linus

Post by thelinx »

Im not sure, but i think its correct.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”