Page 1 of 17

[ABD] Prime Anti-bot - Anti-spambot Text Verification

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:28 am
by primehalo
MOD Title: Prime Anti-bot
MOD Description: Implements a text-based human validation system in order to verify that a form submitter is human and not a SPAM robot. It will remember a successful validation so the user won't have to re-validate each time. The validation phrases/questions and responses are fully customizable; you can put as many or as few as you want (one is picked from the list at random each time it's needed). Can be configured to validate on new registrations and guest postings.
MOD Version: view the
Installation Instructions
MOD Download: Main Download Site

Demo Board: http://www.AbsoluteAnime.com/forum/
Demo Username: Not Required
Demo Password: Not Required

For the release history, please view the
Installation Instructions.

Re: [BETA] Slick CAPTCHA (version 0.0.0) - Text-based CAPTCHA

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 am
by Forum-UK.co.uk
What's the point of this mod as when registering it shows you a box with random letters and numbers in it and you must repeat it to continue.


To enable it in ACP > User registration settings
Image


When above is enabled, this is shown during registration
Image


Or am i missing something ?

Re: [BETA] Slick CAPTCHA (version 0.0.0) - Text-based CAPTCHA

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:17 pm
by TimJBart
Yes you are missing something. Those images of letters (the CAPTCHA) might eventually be worked out meaning that bots will be able to read them and auto register, despite having them enabled.

This MOD stops these bots from registering because the questions posed cannot be answered by a bot, you have to be human to understand them. e.g. What is the opposite of hot?



Looks like an interesting MOD. It would look nice if it wasn't a different style to the actual board, but I am guessing this is something you can work on after you have nailed the functionality.

Re: [BETA] Quick CAPTCHA (version 0.0.0) - Text-based CAPTCHA

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:44 pm
by primehalo
Precisely, plus there are other advantages. It uses a cookie to remember that the user was verified, so they only have to do it once, not every time they want to post, and sometimes people can't get those image-based verifications entered correctly.

I could try working on making the template fit the style of the board if it's something you really want. I tried and ditched the idea early on because I wanted it to fill the entire visible area of the screen, and couldn't figure out how to get the prosilver style to do that. If anyone can help me out with that, please let me know.

Re: [BETA] Quick CAPTCHA (version 0.0.0) - Text-based CAPTCHA

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:09 pm
by dodo5000
nice mod
thank you

Re: [BETA] Slick CAPTCHA (version 0.0.0) - Text-based CAPTCHA

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:59 am
by Forum-UK.co.uk
TimJBart wrote:Yes you are missing something. Those images of letters (the CAPTCHA) might eventually be worked out meaning that bots will be able to read them and auto register, despite having them enabled.

This MOD stops these bots from registering because the questions posed cannot be answered by a bot, you have to be human to understand them. e.g. What is the opposite of hot?



Looks like an interesting MOD. It would look nice if it wasn't a different style to the actual board, but I am guessing this is something you can work on after you have nailed the functionality.
Ah yes i see. Sorry, i understand now. :)

Would it be possible to mod root/styles/prosilver/template/ucp_register.html with this mod, meaning that a template would not be needed.

Fraser

Re: [BETA] Slick CAPTCHA (version 0.0.0) - Text-based CAPTCHA

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 am
by primehalo
Forum-UK.co.uk wrote:Would it be possible to mod root/styles/prosilver/template/ucp_register.html with this mod, meaning that a template would not be needed.

Fraser
As per your request, I have modified it so that you have the option of permitting the CAPTCHA to appear as part of the existing templates rather than on a separate page. I have this set as the default option.

To display the CAPTCHA on a separate page, open "./language/en/mods/quick_captcha.php" and uncomment the line (remove the first "//") containing 'QUICK_CAPTCHA_TEMPLATE_FILE'. You can also add and/or change the pass keys and responses in that same file.

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:26 am
by squarepush3r
cool mod, as much security as possible is the way i see it. i have 1300 spam bot users registered on my old forum =[

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:57 am
by primehalo
squarepush3r wrote:cool mod, as much security as possible is the way i see it. i have 1300 spam bot users registered on my old forum =[
I've got the same problem, which is why this is one of the first MODs I wrote for the new board.

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:54 am
by squarepush3r
ok, i got this mod installed, i am not sure if its working or not?

is it mandatory to remove the Visual Confirmation for this MOD to work? Being the safe guy, I would like to run both.

Also, what exactly is the human verification? Is it a question, if so what should i be looking for to check if it is funtioning correctly. Ok thanks!

btw, I am a huge anime fan also! just finished GunGrave yesterday.

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:29 am
by primehalo
squarepush3r wrote:ok, i got this mod installed, i am not sure if its working or not?

is it mandatory to remove the Visual Confirmation for this MOD to work? Being the safe guy, I would like to run both.

Also, what exactly is the human verification? Is it a question, if so what should i be looking for to check if it is funtioning correctly. Ok thanks!

btw, I am a huge anime fan also! just finished GunGrave yesterday.
This MOD does not require that you disable the built-in visual confirmation. The verification is a set of instructions/questions and responses that can be found in the "language/en/mods/prime_captcha.php" file. One is picked at random for the user to answer.

You should see it when you go to register or when you go to post without being logged in. Once you verify that you are human, a cookie is saved so it won't ask you for verification again until you clear your cookies. I would post a screenshot but I don't see an option to attach a file.

Always nice to meet a fellow anime fan. :D

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:43 am
by squarepush3r
ok, i see
'Enter the phrase "I am human"...'
=> array ('i am human', 'iamhuman'),

'What color is a clear afternoon sky?'
=> array ('blue'),

'What is the opposite of hot?'
=> array ('cold'),

im pretty sure i followed the instructions correctly, but im not sure if its coming up.

http://mercola.diorsplace.com/index.php

thats my website, I am using 2 other MODS as well =] never be too secure, if you try to register there, you can see the 2 others (the first is a full page one before registration details), the second one is a question "in what sport can you hit a homerun?"




Also, what are some of your favorite animes? I see Trigun was on your homepage. What are some of your favorties ?! (you dont have to answer, I know that question is kinda tired).

I am a member of Anime News Network site, but their forum is massively moderated, the chances of a thread getting locked is *very* high.

I am loving this new PHPBB3 !

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:04 am
by primehalo
No, it's not showing up on your site. It should show up as a section after the timezone and before the image verification.

Did you remember to do the template installation instructions? Unlike phpbb2, with phpbb3 we're instructed to put the template changes in a separate file, located in the "templates" directory when you unzip everything.

I love so many anime that it's hard to pick favorites, but I really do like Ranma 1/2, Animation Runner Kuromi, The Slayers, Gunbuster.... and the list just goes on.

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:28 am
by squarepush3r
primehalo wrote:No, it's not showing up on your site. It should show up as a section after the timezone and before the image verification.

Did you remember to do the template installation instructions? Unlike phpbb2, with phpbb3 we're instructed to put the template changes in a separate file, located in the "templates" directory when you unzip everything.

I love so many anime that it's hard to pick favorites, but I really do like Ranma 1/2, Animation Runner Kuromi, The Slayers, Gunbuster.... and the list just goes on.

wow, im a little embarrased to say i have never seen any of those :/ ill make sure to catch them ...

im more of a new school anime fan, my favorite is probably Kenshin, or Ghost in the Shell SAC series...


ok, i figured out what i did wrong. When i was copying code, from the files, such as this

Code: Select all

//-- mod: Prime CAPTCHA -----------------------------------------------------//
	if (isset($template->_rootref['PRIME_CAPTCHA_ERROR']) && in_array($mode, array('quote', 'post', 'reply')))
	{
		$error[] = $template->_rootref['PRIME_CAPTCHA_ERROR'];
	}
//-- end: Prime CAPTCHA -----------------------------------------------------//


if would end up posting in wordpad to ALL ONE LINE. so the // comments would ruin the whole thing -_-

however, i didn't have that problem when <!--- ---> style commenting was used, so i fixed em, and its showing up now. w00t! major security.


i want to all install the photo verification one

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=548249

that has kitties and cars, but i dont want to lose my PHPBB3 default captchya, if its a replacement ill keep the standard default visual, but if i can add it, great!

Re: [BETA] Prime CAPTCHA (0.0.3) - Text-based Human Verification

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:10 pm
by IPB_Refugee
Hi Ken,

your demo board at http://www.absoluteanime.com/phpbb3/ doesn't show anything but a blank page (I use Firefox 2.)

Therefore I have to ask what's the difference between your MOD and the Anti Bot Question MOD?

Thank you!
Wolfgang