[ABD] Custom Title MOD

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Sethernis

Re: [BETA] Custom Title MOD

Post by Sethernis »

Hello.Im having problems with Custom title 1.0.1 phpbb 2 mod.I have edited all files and uploaded them i run the title_install.php and then when i try to edit my profile or register i get a blank page.I checked usercp_register, usercp_avatar and usercp_viewprofile and everything was edited correctly.I dont know where the problem is so i need your help.Please reply as soon as you can.Thanks.
maddskillsz

Post by maddskillsz »

Hi, I'm having the same problem as another member. When I click on Custom Title Mod in the ACP, it says
General Error
No mode specified

How do I fix this?
Thx
Segundo

Post by Segundo »

Thanks very much to Aexoden, Spacefish, and Gremlinn for their support for this mod.

I've just installed 2.0 Beta 1 succesfully on the first try.

A few tips to installers for this mod.

Pay attention to your line#'s when performing edits, the steps are in order so make sure each edit you make is further down the file. (i.e. First edit is on line 1034, next edit should be past line 1034) They never jump backwards. Often a 'Find' will be repeated in the file, so as long as you pay attention to your lines and only add the edit at the next instance of the 'Find' down the file from the preceding line edit, you should be ok. This is the hardest part of the install. Don't rush and pay attention. There are alot of edits for this mod. Take it slow. Be meticulous.

2ndly, I use a subsilver2 based style (Avalon), the edit for viewtopic_body.html didn't work for me, I had to change the code:

Instead of this...

Code: Select all

<!-- IF postrow.CUSTOM_TITLE -->
<tr>
<td class="postdetails"><strong>{postrow.CUSTOM_TITLE}</strong></td>
</tr>
<!-- END IF -->
I implemented this...

Code: Select all

<!-- IF postrow.CUSTOM_TITLE -->
<div class="postdetails"><div align="center"><strong>{postrow.CUSTOM_TITLE}</strong></div></div>
<!-- END IF -->
So, once again, Thank you Aexoden, Spacefish, and Gremlinn. The mod works perfectly.
Last edited by Segundo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gremlinn
Name: Nathan

Post by Gremlinn »

Segundo: You suggestion is for quick reply, not custom title. But, check the quick reply thread as I remember seeing a post explaining how to hide the quick reply section when the topic is locked.
Segundo

Post by Segundo »

lol sorry man, to many things going on at once. thanks. I'll edit it out.
seymournexus

Post by seymournexus »

Cheers for this mod in being made! Hope it gets released soon!
Aexoden
Name: Jason Lynch

Post by Aexoden »

As a quick note, I am working on releasing a new beta sometime in the next week (though the MODX documentation still hasn't been updated for 1.2.0, so I may have to dig into the format specification).

In any case, the changes I've made so far are:
  • Custom titles will now display in private messages. (reported by BioLogIn)
  • If using the replace rank or replace both modes, the custom title will properly replace the rank in the memberlist.
  • There was a strange off-by-one error with activating custom titles. Previously, if you had the required number of posts set to 0, they'd actually need 1 post to edit their title. This has been fixed.
  • The LOG_CONFIG_CUSTOM_TITLE language string is now defined, so there won't be any more weird entries in the administrator logs. (reported by updown and ghettowboy)
If there are any bugs I'm forgetting or any feature requests you'd like to make, this is the best time to do it. Otherwise, it'll have to wait for the next release, which could be days, weeks, or months depending on how lazy I feel at the time.

Also, if you're having trouble or simply don't like this MOD, I suggest giving Stich625's Custom Rank Titles a try. It seems to replicate at least some of the functionality, and is much easier to install.
windstarfire

Post by windstarfire »

Just asking to make sure before I install this mod:
Is it possible so that only the admin can change the custom rank of a user? I'm planning on installing it and granting certain users such as VIPS or users who have 'won' the right for a custom rank. I'd like to be able to fill out this custom rank via the admin panel.

PS: Is it possible to add styles to the rank title by bbcode/html? like bold and colours

Cheers!
Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

windstarfire wrote:Just asking to make sure before I install this mod:
Is it possible so that only the admin can change the custom rank of a user? I'm planning on installing it and granting certain users such as VIPS or users who have 'won' the right for a custom rank. I'd like to be able to fill out this custom rank via the admin panel.

PS: Is it possible to add styles to the rank title by bbcode/html? like bold and colours

Cheers!
The ability to set one's own title is controlled entirely by permissions, so you can just give certain users or groups the ability to edit it. Administrators can of course edit any user's title at any time.

It's (unfortunately) not currently possible to style the title with bbcode, and there are some issues that would need to be worked out to make it feasible. (Like which tags are allowed, etc.) I may look into it at some point, but I've never completely understood the bbcode parser and how to best use it.
movsky

Post by movsky »

Hi, first I want to thank you for this awesome MOD. I installed it on my forum and it works perfectly. Well, but some problems appeard, not with the mod at all, but I miss a really important function.

Is there any possibility to blacklist some titles, for example something like "Admin", "Moderator", "banned" or whatever. If there was any question like this, I am sorry.

Anyway, nice mod!
Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

movsky wrote:Is there any possibility to blacklist some titles, for example something like "Admin", "Moderator", "banned" or whatever. If there was any question like this, I am sorry.
It's an interesting feature and I'm certainly willing to consider it, but there are some questions about how it could best be used:

I know more experienced administrators might prefer a direct regular expression interface, but that's probably too much for most people, who simply want to blacklist a few certain words. The question then becomes, should it blacklist only exact matches? Or should it blacklist anything that contains a "bad" word? I'm somewhat inclined to the latter, but it does prevent users from being more creative. (i.e. if "Admin" is banned, the creative user can't specify "The Admin's Slave").

It seems to me that users who attempt to abuse the title system would be somewhat rare, so an exact match could be used to eliminate the common cases, while administrators can manually deal with the more rare ones.. but then again, if just "Admin" is banned, I'm sure such users will almost certainly immediately try "Super-Admin" or something.

I guess I'd personally just avoid blacklists and manually deal with problematic users as they come up, but I've never administered anything other than a small forum.
movsky

Post by movsky »

I have to say, that it was just a hint from one of our users, who tried to use the title "administrator" or however the title is in english and ask if it is possible to avoid that. I mean, for me, it would be totally enough if just the exact titles like "Adminstrator", "Moderator" and "banned (?)" are blacklisted. In our forum it's just a little confusing, because Admins and Mods are using the same color then normal users, so nobody see the differents of an Admin or an registered User, who use the title "Admin". But, man, that's our problem, your mod works great. :)
Silverdown

Post by Silverdown »

Works great installed on my board :mrgreen:
My Extentions: None
PHPBB Fan since: 2.0.6 Version Using: phpBB 3.2.3
Dev Version Using: phpBB 3.2.3
Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

I have now released version 2.0 Beta 2. The link has been updated at the start of the thread, but for those of you who have limited time, you can find the download at http://www.aexoden.com/projects/custom- ... _beta2.zip.

This release fixes several bugs and should improve the MOD. The exact changelog is listed a couple of posts ago. (I haven't made any additional code changes since then.)

The MOD has been updated to MODX 1.2.0, though I'm still not sure I'm following the format completely exactly. I roughly tested the install for basic errors, though it's possible I could have made a mistake, so please report any problems you have!

Instructions for upgrading from 2.0 Beta 1 to 2.0 Beta 2 are included in the contrib directory in the archive.
Gremlinn
Name: Nathan

Post by Gremlinn »

The install instruction looks good at first glance (opens in IE and FireFox). The upgrade xml does not open in firefox. It does open in IE.

I'll be doing the upgrade instructions, probably tomorrow.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”