I had the same problem with the server not being able to connect to armory, and I found the problem being cURL which this script bases its connection with armory through. So aperently the cURL extension is by default disabled in some apache/php distributions, including my host AND apachefriends which I use as server on my local pc.
So I fixed the script to use the standard stream function in php (fsockopen, fwrite and fgets).
Basicly what I do is to declare the proper request header, and then on the response stream I discard the entire header, and ends up with the XML code from armory.
I can put up some code if anyone wants it later, but if you have access to alter in the php.ini configuration file, you can enable cURL by finding the line:
and remove the ; (semicolon).