[ABD] phpBB Calendar

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
SpaceDoG

Re: [DEV] phpBB Calendar

Post by SpaceDoG »

Do to my too active life alightner is gonna take over as project owner/lead developer.
alightner

Post by alightner »

All,

We just updated the demo big time.
I don't have the screenshots updated, but you're welcome to try it out for yourself here:

Demo Board: http://calendar.hypermutt.net/
Demo User: demo
Demo User Password: demouser

One thing we decided to change was the way all day events were stored in the database. Since they were stored as timezone dependent things, if I stored a holiday like Halloween, anyone outside of my timezone saw Halloween spanning two days (or at least two partial days). It was decptive because Halloween is a date, not a "timed" thing. Therefore we changed it so that all day events show up on the correct date, regardless of the original poster's or end viewer's timezone.

If you want to have a timezone dependent event that lasts all day, you can still have one, just schedule it to start at 12:00am your time and end at 11:45pm your time. It's not exact, but close enough, and should end much potential confusion... If enough people complain, I can fix it so that events ending at 12:00am don't show up on the day they're ending in the calendar, so you could truly have a 24 hour time zone dependent event, but for now the ability to schedule timezone independent dates adds flexability.

Also birthdays are now treated as timezone independent all day events.

Additional upgrades include the ability to change to month, week, or day view of the calendar instantly by clicking on little icons on the calendar. Therefore you don't have to use the pulldown menu at the top of the page to navigate through the calendar, unless you want to jump ahead or back in time.

Also both the current day, and the date selected from the pulldown menu are highlighted (per enhancement request by mattgid).

As always, feedback is appreciated, and spacedog will have the SVN setup soon (hopefully this week) so we can start gaining momentum :D
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
Do not PM me with questions about my mods.
Support will only be given through the topic threads above.
Irvine

Post by Irvine »

I just wanted to suggest some features for your to-do list :D

I need to be able to create calendar events such as the following:

Event that repeats the 2nd & 4th Sunday of the Month
Event that is the last Tuesday of the Month
Event that is the third Sunday of the Month

So far I haven't seen any calendars for phpbb that support this (if you know of one please let me know!)

Thanks!
alightner

Post by alightner »

I do plan to support recurring events... eventually. I have a few ideas on how to implement them, but have not begun development on that part yet.

We still need to get the ACP and group permissions set up first.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
alightner

Post by alightner »

alightner wrote:If enough people complain, I can fix it so that events ending at 12:00am don't show up on the day they're ending in the calendar, so you could truly have a 24 hour time zone dependent event, but for now the ability to schedule timezone independent dates adds flexability.
I fixed this issue, now you can have truly all day events and choose whether or not you want them to be timezone dependent.

See the sample all day events on October 30th here: http://calendar.hypermutt.net/calendar. ... &calY=2007

Note that one is timezone dependent and one is timezone independent. If you check the "All Day Event" option, that stores the date, and everyone will see the event on the specified date - without any compensation for timezone differences. If you uncheck the "All Day Event" box and specify that you want it to start at 12am October 30th, and end at 12am October 31st, then you create a timezone dependent all day event for October 30th. Now you have complete control over when to use timezone adjustments on all day events :D
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
Irvine

Post by Irvine »

alightner wrote:I do plan to support recurring events... eventually. I have a few ideas on how to implement them, but have not begun development on that part yet.

We still need to get the ACP and group permissions set up first.
No problem. Just as additional food for thought, here's another case for the recurring event...

Event that is the 5th Sunday of the Month

The only thing special about this one is that it occurs in some months, and not others.
modbo

Post by modbo »

Very nice.
Waiting for release an perhaps an Addon to see next (10?) events on forum index :)
alightner

Post by alightner »

modbo wrote:Very nice.
Waiting for release an perhaps an Addon to see next (10?) events on forum index :)
Maybe just display the current week on the index?
That way you have a visual calendar display instead of just a text list of events.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
jodier

Post by jodier »

sounds really good.. looking forward to its release :D
GoleyC

Post by GoleyC »

Don't know what all is being developed for this calendar, but here are some things that would be great to see as features:
  • Able to choose which day of the week the week start, some like Sunday and some like Monday.
  • Subject length (Set the length of characters in an event subject)
  • Allow anonymous viewing: (Yes) or (No)
  • Default access level for ALL registered users
  • Use categories with events: (Yes) or (No). In addition if categories are allowed, Require a category with events: (Yes) or (No). Also allow the categories to include different color coding so that hyper links show up as different colors. In addition, a drop down box to sort just those events in that category.
  • Require start/end times to be entered with new events: (Yes) or (No)
  • Allow registered users to add private events: (Yes) or (No)
  • Allow admins to view private events: (Yes) or (No)
  • Allow registered users to limit events to their own groups: (Yes) or (No)
  • Moderated event listings, so that spam or other abuses cannot take place. I suppose with the permission system implemented all of these things will be possible.
Also, noticed that clicking on the actual day the number, the create new event comes up. I think it would be better to list the events for that day in a day view. Then if one needs to enter an event for that day, a create new event button somewhere in the template. Would also like to see a master create new event button or icon somewhere on the main month view.

Those are just a few of the ideas I have.
CG
frechdaxx

Post by frechdaxx »

Wow looks awesome, in my opinion the best calendar mod so far. I'm hoping it will work fine with the attendance mod :)
imagick

Post by imagick »

Looks really great!

I'd love to have a calendarlike that for our forum (we had to move to another server so we thought we'd upgrade to phpBB3 which led to our calendar not working any more) ... ;)

I know that's kind of rude to ask but ... do you have an idea when you'll be able to put out a public version of this, even if it's beta? :oops:

Cheers, Daniel.
modbo

Post by modbo »

alightner wrote:
That way you have a visual calendar display instead of just a text list of events.
I´am looking for this, like phpBB2.0 based on callite by snailsource, Addon by oxpus.

alightner

Post by alightner »

imagick wrote:Looks really great!

I'd love to have a calendarlike that for our forum (we had to move to another server so we thought we'd upgrade to phpBB3 which led to our calendar not working any more) ... ;)

I know that's kind of rude to ask but ... do you have an idea when you'll be able to put out a public version of this, even if it's beta? :oops:

Cheers, Daniel.
I need to add ACP support to let admins control the various available event types, and also add permissions. As soon as those two pieces of functionality are ready it will probably be OK to release a beta version, as all the most basic low level functionality will be in place. After that I can work on adding enhanced features in updated releases such as recurring events, etc.

If anyone knows of good tutorials or other mods that had to add permission checking to use as an example to speed me through that part I would appreciate it. I'm still a little fuzzy on how to add a new item to the permissions options.

Thanks!
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
alightner

Post by alightner »

modbo wrote:
alightner wrote:
I´am looking for this, like phpBB2.0 based on callite by snailsource, Addon by oxpus.

I'll consider it, but I'm more likely to implement something similar to what Ptirhiik had for his version 2 calendar. Go here for an example: http://ptifo.clanmckeen.com/ (Notice on the top right there's a yellow arrow and a calendar link. If you click the yellow arrow it will expand the current week's events.)

If I run out of enhancement requests, I *may* consider adding an option in the calendar configuration options to let you control whether you want the visual week view or the item list on the index, but I'm not going to make promises it yet ;) I've got to finish all the essential pieces of the puzzle first since it looks like there are a lot of people waiting on this mod now.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”