[ABD] phpBBFolk - Topic tagging system

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
nanothree

[ABD] phpBBFolk - Topic tagging system

Post by nanothree » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:24 am

** Read this! **

This thread has no closed and discussion has moved to here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2104659

You can download the latest version here: http://www.nanothree.net/phpbb3/phpbb3-topic-tagging/

---------------------------------------------------------

Classification: Add-on

MOD Name: phpBBFolk
MOD Version: 1.0.0a
MOD Description: Gives your board a simple web2.0 tagging system allowing your registered users to add tags to topics and search for topics by tags, it also shows a tagcloud for the whole forum when a user is viewing the forum index and shows a cloud for a specific topic when viewing that topic

Language: English

Licence: GNU General Public License v2

Installation Level: Easy
Installation Time: ~10 Minutes
Format: Modx

Download File: Download

Demo Board: http://www.nanothree.net/phpbb/forum/ (out of date)
Demo Username: user
Demo Password: password

Demo Admin Username: admin
Demo Admin Password: password
Last edited by nanothree on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 14 times in total.

nanothree

Re: [DEV] phpBBFolk - Topic tagging system

Post by nanothree » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:41 am

This is my first mod, i hope others find it useful.

It is no where near finished yet, i just wanted to see what people thought about it so far so that i could continue to develop it.

Current features are pretty simple:
  • Add tags for a topic,
    Search board for tags,
    Tagcloud
Features i want to implement before release
  • Mod module for removing tags,
    Admin module for removing tags
There are obviously loads of other features and things that could be done but id like to know what people want to see.

Also if any experienced modders could give me feedback on the quality of this mod that would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

rickyschuijff

Post by rickyschuijff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:49 am

nice
Flyff Game go to FlyffWorld

joebart72

Post by joebart72 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:57 am

Post to delete ;)
I learn English with phpbb.com :)

freud47

Post by freud47 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:12 pm

When you look a post, you have on the back the window to add the tag ;)

Edit: I've post too late :P

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:32 am

i dont like the mod name, but it's still amazing!

as a suggestion, native search engine support would be great
carefull, not english speaker native here

nanothree

Post by nanothree » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:21 am

i was a little unsure how to integrate it with the native search. How would you feel if when you did a search there was another results table either underneath or on top of the current one displaying tag results?

OR

when have 2 search buttons one that says "search forum" and one that says "search tags"

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:56 pm

i think the best place is this:

adding the tag radio button at the end of the list, and a few other options like "search within topic name, message text and tag"
carefull, not english speaker native here

nanothree

Post by nanothree » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:42 am

new version, made a few changes and did a partial integration with the native search however i'd liek to expand on this in the future.

Nothing major just some things to make it easier to use and corrected some mistakes

NewSince

Post by NewSince » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:32 pm

This looks like a very cool system! I've been looking for something like this. Just a few thoughts and questions:

The tag cloud appears in the bulletin board view for all of the phpBB, and appears for a specific thread, but not for a specific forum inside the bulletin board. Why not show it for the bulletin board and forum, but not for the messages in a thread?

Should anyone be allowed to post a tag? Maybe only the poster should be allowed to change it, or at least have the option to remove tags- or maybe that can be an optional setting the admin can set- to allow everyone or just the user to change tags, lol.

I can post a tag as many times as I want to a thread: e.g. "Java, Java, Java, Java, Java" and artificially inflate the tag's popularity. A given thread should only have a tag once, right?

When you look at a group of messages, it doesn't let me apply a tag to all of them as a group (which is good), but it still shows the box to add tags

For the search feature, it would be really nice to be able to search for posts with a tag while excluding other tags

Thank you for their efforts- this will be a terrific feature, and I can tell from the posts that you've been working on this intensively!

nanothree

Post by nanothree » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 am

NewSince wrote: The tag cloud appears in the bulletin board view for all of the phpBB, and appears for a specific thread, but not for a specific forum inside the bulletin board. Why not show it for the bulletin board and forum, but not for the messages in a thread?
I wanted the tags to be quite specific, so when searching for tags you got a thread and not just a forum then you would have to search that forum for a thread that was relevant to you. Its possible that i could do what you want though. In the *new* admin panel there are options for where to show a tag cloud and you can turn them on and off as suits you.
NewSince wrote: Should anyone be allowed to post a tag? Maybe only the poster should be allowed to change it, or at least have the option to remove tags- or maybe that can be an optional setting the admin can set- to allow everyone or just the user to change tags, lol.
This system is being used on my companies intranet and we would like our users to be able to tag posts that they think are relevant as i believe this will provide us with a good way of organising the information on our board. I see how this may not be a good idea on a public board where people arent often as trustworthy. I will implement this probably for the next dev release.
NewSince wrote: I can post a tag as many times as I want to a thread: e.g. "Java, Java, Java, Java, Java" and artificially inflate the tag's popularity. A given thread should only have a tag once, right?
No, a thread can be tagged multiple times. A thread that had been tagged 10 times with "php" woudl be more relevant in a search for "php" than one that was only tagged 3 times. I realised that it would be possible to make a thread seem more relevant by adding 10 "php"'s and like above this would be a problem on a public site. I think i will make it so that each user can only tag a thread with the same tag once. This will also mean it will be possible to track what users are tagging and ban unuseful users from tagging
NewSince wrote: For the search feature, it would be really nice to be able to search for posts with a tag while excluding other tags
I will look into this as i realise how useful it will be.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback, it really helps. The basic system is good enogh for my compant but pretty useless for the phpBB community so i want to improve it

Cheers!

Should have a new release today or tomorrow

nanothree

Post by nanothree » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Just released version 0.4.3!!!!

IMPORTANT - Uninstall this mod before applying the new version i have made a few changes to the language file to help prevent against clashes. You can just do i find for "//phpBBFolk MOD" and "<!-- phpBBFolk mod -->" to find all of the occurences (i think anyway!)

This has an administration panel so that tags can be deleted, you can also configure a few things about the system.

I havent put them in the instuctions yet but you need to add it as an administration module.

To do this:
Go to ACP >> System(tab) >> General Category

Then create a new category called phpBBFolk, then add all the modes into that, i suggest hiding the remove module as there is no need to access it directly

Let me know what you think of the admin panel and of course if there are any bugs.

I just did a fresh install on the test board and followed the MODX file so they should be correct.

Remember: Someone may have logged in as an admin and turned tagging off make sure it is on my logging in as admin and going to the ACP

Happy testin'

frechdaxx

Post by frechdaxx » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm

can i rename the phpbbfolk.php? Would like to have a name called tags.php ;) Great Mod ;)

nanothree

Post by nanothree » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:21 am

yeah, probably. You will need to find every reference to phpBBFolk.php and change it to tags.php. I think they are most probably all in functions_phpBBFolk.php and phpBBFolk.php

NewSince

Post by NewSince » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:02 pm

I'm loving this mod! I can't wait until more features are added.

A question: I know this is in the phpBB 3.0x area, but I just want to verify: this is a phpBB mod? My team hasn't decided whether to go with 2 or 3 yet, which decision will largely depend upon the suitable mods we find to save time.
I wanted the tags to be quite specific, so when searching for tags you got a thread and not just a forum then you would have to search that forum for a thread that was relevant to you. Its possible that i could do what you want though. In the *new* admin panel there are options for where to show a tag cloud and you can turn them on and off as suits you.
I'm sorry, I think I was confusing. Yes, each tag should connect to a list of threads containing that tag. I just thought that when viewing the entire bulletin board, the tag cloud would show the tags for all threads; in a specific forum, a tag cloud would display with the tags of threads only in that forum; in an individual thread... well, I suppose a tag cloud for that thread alone shows the relative popularity of the tags, so that can work too.

This must have been a lot of work for you- especially to implement features on your own time you don't need at work! It's terrific. Are there more features you're planning to implement?

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”