[ABD] Report PM MOD

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
BondGamer
Registered User
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:49 pm
Contact:

[ABD] Report PM MOD

Post by BondGamer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:39 pm

MOD Title: Report PM MOD
MOD Description: This modification will allow users to report private messages in the same way they can report posts.
MOD Version: None

MOD Download: None

Planned Features:
  • Report icon added to private messages
  • Exactly like post reporting, except for PMs
  • Authorized moderators and administrators will be given access to the original PM message
I came up with this MOD idea after listening to a recent phpbbweekly podcast. They were debating administrators reading private messages and privacy. Right now the only way for an administrator to deal with someone reporting a private message is to access the database directly. This MOD will eliminate that hassle.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

User avatar
spacefish
Registered User
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:48 am

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by spacefish » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 pm

There is this mod here -> simple acp pm read ... but I really like the idea of your mod as well BondGamer and will be looking forward to it coming out. Thanks in advance! :)

BondGamer
Registered User
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:49 pm
Contact:

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by BondGamer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:28 am

spacefish wrote:There is this mod here -> simple acp pm read ... but I really like the idea of your mod as well BondGamer and will be looking forward to it coming out. Thanks in advance! :)
A lot of administrators won't install that because they respect private messages. The MOD I intend to create will protect privacy while allowing people to report PMs to forum staff.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

saaiberke
Registered User
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Gent/Belgium
Contact:

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by saaiberke » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:30 am

BondGamer wrote:
spacefish wrote:There is this mod here -> simple acp pm read ... but I really like the idea of your mod as well BondGamer and will be looking forward to it coming out. Thanks in advance! :)
A lot of administrators won't install that because they respect private messages. The MOD I intend to create will protect privacy while allowing people to report PMs to forum staff.
This is the mod I've been waiting for. Really looking forward to this one. If you need testers, let me know :)

Grtz,

Nic

Xabi
Registered User
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 9:04 am

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by Xabi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 am

I don't know what you mean with "private" here. If a PM can be reported, it's not a Private Message. This mod and the PM admin mod are blatant offenses to privacy rights. I don't understand how the phpBB crew admit this kind of mods.

saaiberke
Registered User
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Gent/Belgium
Contact:

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by saaiberke » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 am

Xabi wrote:I don't know what you mean with "private" here. If a PM can be reported, it's not a Private Message. This mod and the PM admin mod are blatant offenses to privacy rights. I don't understand how the phpBB crew admit this kind of mods.
I understand your concern but I have the experience that sometimes people are seriously offended by PM's. Now at least they have a possibility to report them immediately. So the admin can take the necessary action.

I'm in no way interested in reading peoples pm's but if they are against board rules, it is my duty as an admin to react, don't you think so?

Why should the phpBB admins forbid this kind of mods? It's like a mp3 mod, if you link to an illegal mp3 doesn't mean that a mod maker shouldn't be making such a mod.

Nic

Xabi
Registered User
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 9:04 am

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by Xabi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:26 am

Linking to MP3 is not illegal by itself -it depends on the linked MP3-; reading or reporting PM is.

Xabi
Registered User
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 9:04 am

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by Xabi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 am

Well, my complaints are a nonsense if these mods are admitted. Anyway, it would be convenient to change your board terms and conditions to reflect this, and to rename "Private Messages" to "Messages between members that can be inspected anytime by the board admins". Anything but "private": that's a deceit if you can inspect those messages.

saaiberke
Registered User
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Gent/Belgium
Contact:

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by saaiberke » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 am

Xabi wrote:Linking to MP3 is not illegal by itself -it depends on the linked MP3-; reading or reporting PM is.
You didn't read what I wrote, or at least didn't understand. Linking to an illegal MP3 is in my country illegal. If you put in your board terms that PM that are against board rules can be reported to admins I don't see any problem with that.

Grtz,

Nic

ghettowboy
Registered User
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by ghettowboy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:54 am

Xabi wrote:I don't know what you mean with "private" here. If a PM can be reported, it's not a Private Message. This mod and the PM admin mod are blatant offenses to privacy rights. I don't understand how the phpBB crew admit this kind of mods.
this mod would not be to undermind any form of privacy... unlike the simple acp pm read mod, where mods would be able to read personal messages... this mod would simply allow users to REPORT unwanted pms, which could range from a variety of things such as spam, threats, offensive things,ect.... and it would would be at the USERS descression whether or not to use this feature.. so, i ask you this Xabi, HOW WOULD THIS BE A VIOLATION OF PRIVACY RIGHTS??!! in my opinion it's not! in now way shape, or form.... since its up to the user to determine this and not any adminstrators.....

this is a very good mod idea.. and it will be very much welcomed.... :)

ghettowboy
Registered User
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by ghettowboy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Xabi wrote:Well, my complaints are a nonsense if these mods are admitted. Anyway, it would be convenient to change your board terms and conditions to reflect this, and to rename "Private Messages" to "Messages between members that can be inspected anytime by the board admins". Anything but "private": that's a deceit if you can inspect those messages.
i think your confusing this this mod with the simple acp pm read mod... believe me m8..... THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Xabi
Registered User
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 9:04 am

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by Xabi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:06 pm

They are not. Your users CAN'T "report" a private message of another person. The user who is sending the message is exposed to admins if the receiver reports the message, so it's no "private" message at all.

ghettowboy
Registered User
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by ghettowboy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:25 pm

Xabi wrote:They are not. Your users CAN'T "report" a private message of another person. The user who is sending the message is exposed to admins if the receiver reports the message, so it's no "private" message at all.
well, then the message sender should be mindfull of this then... as its not just about the sender... but the recipeint of the message as well.... and thats the basis of this mod.. if someone sends me a distasteful or offensive msg via pm, i would most certainly want a way to defend myself against it... and it would make sense to report it to a admin.... so, in that aspect i have no concerns for the outcome of the report as the sender would have had no respect for my privacy by sending such pms.... users have a right to privacy, yes , but privacy is a two way street also... if people have no respect, then privacy goes right out the window.... YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT.. no matter what arguments you put up... it's simply a means for users to protect their own privacy.

RedTrinity
Registered User
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 3:32 am

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by RedTrinity » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:35 pm

*sigh*

Why do these threads related to PM monitoring/moderating MODs always turn into heated debates? If you don't agree with using them or feel that its violating rights, then simply don't install them!!! :roll:

Simple as that.

Bondgamer, look forward to seeing further development of this MOD :)

ghettowboy
Registered User
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Re: [Dev] Report PM MOD

Post by ghettowboy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:47 pm

lol.... i agree with ya 100% RedTrinity

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”