[ABD] Forum Statistics 0.3.0

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
TheUniqueTiger

[ABD] Forum Statistics 0.3.0

Post by TheUniqueTiger »

MOD name : Forum Statistics
MOD description : This MOD displays the various statistics about the forum in a modular structure, grouped under various headings.
MOD version : 0.3.0 (beta 4)
MOD author : TheUniqueTiger
MOD compatible with : phpBB 3.0.0, phpBB3 RC7 and RC8
MOD format : MODX

MOD features :
Well, here's the list of features... Also this is in the modular layout in the same hierarchy as shown below. It consists of two level modules, one main category and the others as modules... like 'Forum Activity' is a category and 'Forums statistics' is a module. In future, I'll make it possible to assign permissions for each of this second-level module.
The above modules can be moved up/down in the ACP.
For all the top x statistics, you can select the number of top entries to be shown. Options are 1,3,5,10,15.
To access the statistics page, click the 'Statistics' link where it normally displays Statistics on index page.

It also respects read permissions for forums so that only the appropriate content is shown as results among forums, topics, attachments and polls.

It also consists of an ACP configurable option to disallow guests from viewing FS.

New : Custom profile fields (CPFs) are now supported (single-text, boolean, dropdown). You can select which CPFs to show on the profile settings statistics page.
  • Basic statistics
    • Basic forum statistics
      • Overall - basic totals for the forum
      • Forum - totals of different types of forums
      • Topics - totals of different types of topics
      • Users - active & inactive users based on last visit time, total registered bots, total visited bots
    • Advanced forum statistics
      • Board background - board info
      • Database - database info
      • Filesystem - number & total size of attachments, avatars, cached files
      • Installed components - lists installed styles, imagesets, templates, themes, language packs
  • Forum activity
    • Forums statistics
      • Overall - total forums and types of forums
      • Top forums by topics
      • Top forums by posts
      • Top forums by polls
      • Top forums by sticky topics
      • Top forums by user participation
    • Topics statistics
      • Overall - total topics and types of topics
      • Top topics by posts
      • Top topics by views
      • Top topics by user participation
      • Top topics by attachments
    • Users statistics
      • Overall - total users, including bots, and most users online
      • Groups and their membership counts
      • Ranks according to post count (non-special ranks) and their respective member counts
      • Who is online - grouped by the user groups, with the usernames
      • Top users by posts
      • Top users by topics started
      • Top users by recent posts over the last x days (most active users)
  • Forum contributions
    • Attachments statistics
      • Overall - total attachments and size, total orphan attachments and size, total file downloads and size of total downloads
      • Recent attachments
      • Top attachment filetypes (by file extension)
      • Top attachments by download count
      • Top attachments by file size
      • Top attachment posters (users)
    • Polls statistics
      • Overall - Total polls, poll votes, open polls, (and if registered user) the number of polls in which he has voted
      • Recent polls
      • Top polls by votes
  • Periodic statistics
    • Daily Statistics
      • Overall - Total topics, posts, user regs as compared to the totals in the selected month
      • Topics - Daily split up of topic counts of selected month
      • Posts - Daily split up of post counts of selected month
      • User regs - Daily split up of user reg counts of selected month
      • *** You can select the month for which daily stats are shown, by default the current month
    • Monthly statistics
      • Overall - Total topics, posts, user regs as compared to the totals in the selected year/overall
      • Topics
      • *** You can select the year for which monthly stats are shown, by default the current year. You can select 'All' so that all data from board start date till current date is shown.
    • Hourly statistics
      • Overall - Total topics, posts, user regs in the selected time period as compared to the overall totals
      • Topics
      • *** You can select a day or month or all (from board start date to current date) for which to show stats, by default current day.
  • Settings statistics
    • Board settings statistics
      • Styles - the number of users using a particular style
      • Language - the comparison of number of users using different language packs
      • Timezones - the comparison of number of users belonging to different timezones
    • Profile settings statistics
      • Counts of users who have set their birthday & location
      • Age ranges - Shows statistics about number of users belonging to different age groups. The group intervals can be selected (4,5,8,10,15,20) however the lower limit is 0 and upper limit is 99.
      • User locations - Shows statistics about the top user locations... The number of top user locations can be selected.
MOD Addons : (list of addons supplied with this MOD, some of which are based on other phpBB3 MODs. These are purely optional for the user to install since they come as addon install files.)
  • Genders - based on the Genders MOD by eviL<3
  • User Online Time - (shows statistics about the top users by the time they are logged in) - based on my MOD User Online Time
***About this version:
New : Shows Custom Profile fields on the profile statistics page.
Detailed changelog in the MOD package.

Believe me, I thoroughly enjoyed coding this MOD! Quite a variety of statistics!

Future plans : Looking for creating addons based on other MODs, but after they become RC.

The User locations stats is fine but it largely depends on the locations entered by various users... For example London is different from London, UK. So what I'll suggest is apart from the location, I'll suggest creating a custom profile field for City or Country which would then be appropriate for this statistic.

This MOD now fully supports custom profile fields for single-text, boolean and dropdown.

Since my test forum is too small and with only 2 users, I would appeal to the downloaders and testers to post screenshots of the forum statistics pages which is most descriptive. Please give me permission so that I'll link them to this first post with your credits. This is so because on a small forum with hardly any posts, topics and users, the statistics of such a test forum won't reflect the true potential of this MOD.
I'm trying to get this MOD working on my live forum which is also small, but really have to show whatever my MOD shows even though the results may be less.

MOD download : Download link
(Update instructions from 0.2.0a - 0.3.0 included)
Important install instruction:
After you create the first parent module named 'FS', click the 'Forum Statistics' link that is visible in the left sidebar under Module Management and proceed to create the further modules.

Awaiting your feedback...

Watch out for updates to this post as the development continues! Cheers! :P
Last edited by DavidIQ on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:02 am, edited 18 times in total.
Reason: Marked as abandoned. See last post for new development topic.
You have only One Life... So before you are History, make sure you make it to the History books! - TheUniqueTiger
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Re: [DEV] Forum Statistics

Post by Highway of Life »

Any chance you might have an option to display them in graphs versus tables?

Example.
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

New registrations per month, topics per month, posts per month would be nice (as opposed to day)... most active users, fastest users, etc. - basically all of the default stats that the Statistics MOD offered for PHPBB2 would be nice :)

Great to see this MOD being redeveloped for PHPBB3, have been missing it since we upgraded.
saaiberke

Post by saaiberke »

Maybe some add-ons like for the gender-mod? Number male users, female users. And an add-on for "where do our users live?" (using location info from the profile UCP).

Further, all stats from the phpBB2 version as RedTrinity said :)

Grtz,

Nic
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

saaiberke wrote:And an add-on for "where do our users live?" (using location info from the profile UCP).
I like that idea!!!

Another one could maybe tie in with the custom profile fields? One of the options for those are dropdown menus to choose answers from, so you could have the results added up and displayed as a statistic for that, too :D
TheUniqueTiger

Post by TheUniqueTiger »

@ Highway of Life,
Oh surely yes... Without graphs it would be too simple... But it won't be like the graphs in your example... I'm planning simple horizontal bar graphs... pretty much similar to the poll graphs but not exactly the same. The general stats will be in a table as those stats are not on the same scale. The others would be graphs as they would each be on same scale.

@ RedTrinity & saaiberke,
I don't know anything about the similar MOD for phpBB2... I'm doing this MOD without the knowledge of that MOD. If you could please list what all statistics that MOD offered, I'll be willing to add them in this. I'll be putting in my own code, I just need to know what stats it offers.

@ all,
In addition, I'll be also supplying a patch for the stats for number of male/female users and male:female ratio, which you could add if you also have the Genders MOD. Similar for '10 Top-rated topics' for those who would have my Ratings for topics MOD (still beta).

Regarding the stats per month, is there any simple way to get those stats, because I was thinking of creating a table to keep track of these statistics per day and per month. Both will be shown under general statistics...

And about the location idea about where the members live, all members do not specify a location always and some even have some strange locations like 'from Hell', 'from your backyard' etc... So you cannot have them as statistics as there is no way to distinguish real locations. I wouldn't go for this idea now, though its very easy to code...

Also tell me one thing, what kind of display would you like? Everything on one page, everything clustered adjacent to each other or one below the other, or in tabbed form like the UCP/MCP/ACP? I can do any but I need your opinion... Lets see, I'll decide after 10 opinions here.

Meanwhile I forgot another statistic... 10 top forums (by topics).
:P
You have only One Life... So before you are History, make sure you make it to the History books! - TheUniqueTiger
saaiberke

Post by saaiberke »

UniqueTiger,

The phpBB2 version was made in a way that you had the general module with boardstatistics, other programmers could write add-on modules based on this concept. Everything was on one page, in blocks one under the other. You could choose which block was visible by guests, registred users or admin only. There also was a possibility to move the blocks up or down (like the formcategories in phpBB2 and phpBB3). You could choose the top X to show (5,10,15,20 etc....).

What I can remember are these statistics:

Gender ==> % male, %female and %not specified
Top posters
Most viewed topics
Most popular topics (most answers)
When do the users post most (between 00.00h and 23.59h)
Number of new registrations per month (counted from board start date)
Number of new messages per month (counted from board start date)

I will send you an example in PM because I know a board where this stats are used but you need to be logged in to see them.

Grtz,

Nic
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

Here is the link to the PHPBB2 Statistics MOD along with a list of all its features, hope it helps :)
TheUniqueTiger

Post by TheUniqueTiger »

Thanks for your suggestions and the reference to the phpBB2 MOD. I've thought about it and came up with the following ideas...

Due to the large number of statistics, it would not be feasible to load everything at once for display, so this essentially requires a tabbed view with or without submenus, loading only a single tab of statistics. The tabs and their contents are as follows...

Features -
  • Overview with basic statistics which includes total topics, posts, users, polls, attachments, (male/female users)
  • Board background statistics - Total size of attachments, total size of avatars, database server, database size, GZip compression on/off, installed styles, imagesets, templates, themes, Bots who have visited and their last visit time
  • (Top) Forums by topics, by posts, by polls, by number of sticky+announcements+global (non-normal) topics.
  • (Top) Topics by posts, by views, [by ratings]
  • (Top) Users by posts, by topics started, by time online, by polls created, by polls rated, [by topics rated], eldest by age, youngest by age
  • Attachments (total number & size of attachments, number of orphan attachments, topic with most attachments, users who posted most attachments, largest file size attachments, attachments file types)
  • Polls (top polls by participation, users who have participated in most polls)
  • Daily, and monthly stats (number of topics, number of posts, user registrations, polls created, page views and averages) For daily stats, stats shown for current month. For monthly stats, stats shown for each month back upto board install date.
  • Private messages - total, PMs per month, number of PMs by month, users who sent most PM, users who receive most PM
  • Board settings - Languages, Locations, Styles, Age ranges...
The ones given in square brackets require additional MODs.

Can you please give me an idea how to do the post time statistic... that is hourly from 0000 to 2300? I simply can't get an idea about it, so I'm keeping it on hold now.

I'm planning a monthly statistics table to store monthly data (like number of topics in Jan, Feb, Mar...), otherwise it would take a lot of time retrieving data from the database.

I'm not planning separate paks for the MOD, but the ones that require other MODs for this to work will be supplied in additional install files. However this MOD will support adding additional statistics for MODs just like the ones requiring other MODs like Gender...

I'm going forward with these ideas and developing alpha code for now... You can keep on giving ideas.

That phpBB2 MOD has quite a lot of statistics! :)
Sandrus

Post by Sandrus »

A lot of success with this mod! Any idea when it'll be ready?
TheUniqueTiger

Post by TheUniqueTiger »

Sandrus wrote:A lot of success with this mod! Any idea when it'll be ready?
Nope, just started coding it... No idea when it'll be complete... But I'll keep you updated in this topic.

To all,
I'm making it a module based MOD that can be manipulated in the ACP like other MCP/UCP modules... The list of statistics that I have planned as in my previous post above will all belong to the respective modules Each module will also have permissions whether to be shown. (Yes!) You can set permissions for various groups for the modules they can see for example overview, board background statistics, forums, topics, etc... It'll take some time, but its quite worth it, isn't it?
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

Sounds great :D Look forward to the first Beta version :)
TheUniqueTiger

Post by TheUniqueTiger »

Well, here's the list of features that I've made till now... Also this is in the modular layout in the same hierarchy as shown below. It consists of two level modules, one main category and the others as modules... like 'Forum Activity' is a category and 'Forums statistics' is a module. In future, I'll make it possible to assign permissions for each of this second-level module.
The above modules can be moved up/down in the ACP.
  • Basic statistics
    • Basic forum statistics
      • Overall - basic totals for the forum
      • Forum - totals of different types of forums
      • Topics - totals of different types of topics
      • Users - active & inactive users based on last visit time, total registered bots, total visited bots
    • Advanced forum statistics
      • Board background - board info
      • Database - database info
      • Filesystem - number & total size of attachments, avatars, cached files
      • Installed components - lists installed styles, imagesets, templates, themes
  • Forum activity
    • Forums statistics
      • Overall - total forums and types of forums
      • Top forums by topics
      • Top forums by posts
      • Top forums by polls
      • Top forums by user participation
    • Topics statistics
      • Overall - total topics and types of topics
      • Top topics by posts
      • Top topics by views
      • Top topics by user participation (completed till here!)
  • Forum contributions
  • Periodic statistics
  • Settings statistics
Let me know your opinions about this! I think I can make the first beta by Sunday. :P
crackerboy

Post by crackerboy »

Love the idea that this mod comes for Olympus,i have missed it since 2.0.22 8-)
Keep up the good work you are doing and keep us oriented
saaiberke

Post by saaiberke »

TheUniqueTiger wrote:
Can you please give me an idea how to do the post time statistic... that is hourly from 0000 to 2300? I simply can't get an idea about it, so I'm keeping it on hold now.
Yes, it is a count of all messages between 00 and 1, 1 and 2, 2 and 3......until 00.00 and calculates the percentage against the total number of postings.

Grtz,

Nic

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”