[ABD] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Pda0

[ABD] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Post by Pda0 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:13 pm

MOD Title: mail2forum (m2f)
MOD Version: 2.0.0a5
MOD Download: currently Alpha releases (testing only!)
MOD Website: http://www.mail2forum.com

Current Status: http://mail2forum.com/v20-development/status/
Issue Tracker: http://tracker.mail2forum.com/projects/show/m2f
Current Source: browse SVN repository

How to get involved: Visit out support forums, and contact admins George andPda0.

MOD Description: A fully-featured message hub. Imports and exports messages from/to unlimited formats, such as phpBB 3, email, RSS, nntp, blogs, other Bulletin Boards (SMF, vBulletin, etc.).

Objectives:
  • Mail2Forum v2.0 will be written on a completely new code-base. The initial development aim will be to replicate as closely as possible the functionality of the v1.2 branch.
  • Written to very high coding standards - fully Unit Tested (Simpletest), DB Abstraction (Doctrine), Model-View-Controller (Zend Framework), content and presentation separated, modular, pluggable system for 3rd-party contributions.
  • The aim is to free m2f from the 1:1 constraint in version 1.2 (between phpBB forum and mailing list), replacing it with a many:many relationship between unlimited modular channels.
  • Channels will be written to a public API, and therefore can be user-contributed. We aim to bring to the project new functionality in the areas of Bulletin Board (phpBB, vBulletin, SMF, Phorum etc.), Mailing List, RSS, NNTP, Blog and others.
  • We aim to expand the list of uses for m2f. It is currently used in a limited number of ways: to mirror and/or archive messages; to provide a mixed-media access point for different groups of users (web-based and email-based); to import messages from an external archive or repository. v2.0 should add further possibilities: daily message digests; up-to-date feeds (RSS, etc.); further archiving options; interfaces with other media (SMS gateway?, PDF, etc.).
Planned Features:
  • Pluggable, modular message channels for input and output:
    • bulletin board: phpBB, vBulletin, Phorum, SMF, etc.
    • email: POP, SMTP, mbox, Sendmail, PHP mail()
    • RSS
    • NNTP
    • Blogs: Wordpress, etc.
    • Stdin: pipe messages to m2f on the command line
    • who knows.....!
  • Pluggable, modular message filters for message transformation and analysis:
    • spam filter: rules and regexp matching, possible integration with an external spam filter
    • batch delivery - daily digests, etc
    • BBCode <-> HTML <-> ASCII
  • Moderation Centre: a storage facility for unrouted messages, and an approval center for messages to a protected chain. Supports default chains. If exporting a message fails for some reason (if the phpBB database is down, for example), the imported messages are stored in the Moderation Centre.
  • Mailing-list features: Allowing users to subscribe/unsubscribe to a forum via email. Supports users with multiple email addresses (so they can send from different addresses without being bounced).
  • Periodic Message Digests: Sure, there is a MOD available for phpBB to do this, but m2f is not just for phpBB!
  • Scheduler: users create a Cron job which contacts the scheduler once a minute. Each time it is contacted, the scheduler decides which m2f imports to run, if any. Also useful for a time-limit and resume function for importing.
  • Centralised functionality for subscription/unsubscription, digests, moderation in one easy Control Panel.
  • Localisation: all admin pages can be easily translated by adding a new language file.
Discontinued phpBB 2 MOD: mail2forum v1.2 for phpBB 2. Feature-complete but feature-frozen!
Last edited by Pda0 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 14 times in total.

georgecrawford

Re: [DEV] Mail2forum for phpBB 3

Post by georgecrawford » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:16 pm

We welcome your comments and discussion on the feature-set and development of mail2forum v2.0!

saaiberke

Post by saaiberke » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:18 pm

That seems a nice and interesting project to me :) I will follow your development on this.

Grtz,

Nic

Geisthund

Post by Geisthund » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi George

I used M2F on my phpBB2 board but only allowed trusted users access. Why!!!?
The majority of my users read/post messages via the website but if I'd allowed open access to M2F and the user didn't remove the previous message before sending their reply. The reply would mess up the web page displaying the reply plus any previous replies i.e. if this happened repeatedly a whole page of view topic could be taken up with just one reply.
I even tried placing a message asking users to delete all text below their reply but that had limited success.

This issue was the only reason I could not fully implement M2F on my forum which IMHO is a fantastic mod.
Would it be possible to automatically strip any text other than the reply itself??? Maybe by using an invisible tag????

georgecrawford

Post by georgecrawford » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:08 pm

Geisthund wrote:Would it be possible to automatically strip any text other than the reply itself??? Maybe by using an invisible tag????
This is actually a very complex subject, as the quoted text in an email is often vital to understanding the sense of the message. The best solution I've come up with so far is to use a MOD which puts all quoted passages in forum posts into a collapsible box, so they don't take up anything like as much room: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=229348

Cheers

Geisthund

Post by Geisthund » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi

The way I’m think is if an email reply is sent back out before being stripped for inclusion into the forum then there would not be a problem following the thread via email.
If a line was added to the outgoing email saying something like:-

Everything below the line could then be stripping to EoF prior to importation.

If my memory serves I tried something similar with advert stripping facility on your previous version but without success.

HTH

georgecrawford

Post by georgecrawford » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:26 am

In my experience, firstly email users don't like to follow such rules, and secondly, they often like to alternate quotes with reply fragments to quickly answer each point the original poster makes. This makes such search and replace functions in m2f very unreliable.

Some further discussion on the topic for your consideration:

http://www.mail2forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2697
http://mail2forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=251 (please note this thread is VERY old, but it does explain some of the issues)

Geisthund

Post by Geisthund » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:22 am

Hi

Having read your suggested topic's the only way to proceed IMHO would be to include a warning and strip everything else e.g

Please post between the following lines. Everything posted outside the lines will be removed.

A more elegant solution may be possible with HTML formatted mail.

If a user takes the time to compose a reply of more than one line then they'd equally be prepared to follow such a simple rule. Possibly bouncing emails not following that rule i.e. no text within reply block.

I'd also like a warning option which would block/ban a users access to M2F included in viewtopic rather than having to go via ACP.

IMHO Most users are a lot more net savvy than they used to be and will happily adapt to any system if that system offers access to a useful facility.

When I changed my forum from phpbb2 to 3 there was a near riot on my site. I thought at one stage I was going to have to go back to phpbb2 before they all walked out :lol: but I stuck to my guns. Within a week most of the uses got to grips with the new setup and peace returned to my site. (Thank god!!)

georgecrawford

Post by georgecrawford » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks for your ideas. I need to give them some thought, but I think you may be on to something.

Mizpah

Post by Mizpah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi Guys,

it seems as if this mod may do what I need - although it has a far larger feature set than I am after! I would really like to find out it if this may be suitable, or ifyou know of a simpler alternative ?

I have guild website with an 'applications' system. A user selects the class they want to apply as, a dynamic form is built, they fill it in, its validated, and an html formated email is sent, and the mysql database is has a record written. This is acomplished with chronoforms (a joomla 1.5 componant).

In addition to the above (which happens fine), I would also like the post to written to a selected forum, in an appropriately formated way.

Would I be able to use this mod in order to achive the above ?

Elaborating on this, I woudl ideally like the post to be made as the logged in user who created the form!

Cheers,

Miz

Pda0

Post by Pda0 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:18 am

As long as someone builds up the appropiate channel (in this case it looks like a chronoforms channel would apply)... the answer is YES!

.pd

madd74

Post by madd74 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:41 pm

This looks wonderful, something that I think, if I am reading it correctly, I have been wanting for my forum.

kholman

Post by kholman » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:26 pm

In our implementation of M2F on vers. 2.0.x, we strip out email header info and direct users to do the same. Generally that seems to work although there is some work for mods/admins but not excessive.

The inability to use M2F is our big holdup on implementing phpBB3.

spblat

Post by spblat » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:52 pm

I'll be watching this topic eagerly. I've got a site that really needs this. Thanks for getting it started! If you need someone to test the initial features (mail in and/or mail out), please count me in.

woodsnwind

Post by woodsnwind » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:32 am

I'll vote for this one as being very important to me. I've installed phpBB3 only to find this type of feature missing, and it'll probably be a showstopper for the app. My users are accustomed to yahoo. sigh.

-t

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”