[ABD] Phoogle (Google) Map

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
davaguco
Name: DAVID AGULLO

Re: [DEV] Phoogle (Google) Map

Post by davaguco » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:45 am

This is the best MOD I've seen for my boards, the features so far are exactly what I've been looking for. If you need anybody to translate it into spanish when you release it, please tell me, I'll be glad to help.
David.
English-Spanish Mod Translator. Send me a PM if you need anything translated (usually free unless you need a fixed finishing date).

antracit

Post by antracit » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:16 am

Ok

Really nice work!! :D

I like this mod to and will not convert and ”go live” with my forum before this could be implemented. So if I can be to any assistance (testinstall on my own xampp + swedish language) finishing this mod might be possible to speed up.
:?:

Keep up the good work and drop me a PM

Regards
antracit

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Status report: Our brave beta testers are working on v0.0.1c now and I'm continuing work on v0.0.1d.
I've changed the main map template just a bit, and added some more features, like:
'Show User on Map' link in user's Profile page if they have a map point set and have selected to be shown on the map.
A nifty bit that returns the map to where it was before you expand someone's map bubble.
Introduced 'modes' like the rest of phpbb3 does, so different actions can be performed with minimal added code.

Also, I'm still working on the Events part, but this may not make it into the first [BETA] version of the mod - it's getting pretty complicated, but very cool, too. Here's a shot of the Events ACP so far.

Appaz

Post by Appaz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:02 pm

refreshing that topic every day for many times :) waiting... :)

i've got a feature idea - maybe good, maybe not... :)
Map markers. maybe those markers could be user avatar images? just resized to, i don't know... 20x20px.
They might be with that small, don't know how to name it in english... leg... :D so sharp location can be seen.. hope you understand...
what would it give - easier way to find exact user you are looking for without using any additional clicks on search filters, because of you can easily see recognizable avatar...

this might be the feature which can be turned off in admin panel i guess.

EDIT:
Here is a visual example.
Also, marker border and that "leg" color could be made same color as a user legend (usergoup) color, whic user belongs to (admin, moderator etc)
People won't work. Successful idea will.

vincentSD

Post by vincentSD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:32 am

How are close/similar locations represented? Is there anything to denote that there's overlap? (say several folks in the same dorm or something)

devilside

Post by devilside » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:56 am

Wow that'S what i need. :shock: :D

Xabi

Post by Xabi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:08 am

Xabi wrote:I suggest a feature that would covert phpBB3 in a really "social networking" system: a way to input country and region for each user, with dependant dropdown menus. Then, using Phoogle, you could filter all the users from Finland, USA, Australia... and show them on the map.

mrTablet

Post by mrTablet » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 pm

Date of release?

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:57 pm

vincentSD wrote:How are close/similar locations represented? Is there anything to denote that there's overlap? (say several folks in the same dorm or something)
At this stage, they are not handled any differently than distant markers, they just stack up on each other. I'd like to try using Google's marker manager to 'cluster' markers within a specific distance at specific zoom levels. Not to that stage yet in the development. ;)
mrTablet wrote:Date of release?
Not decided, still coding and testing. I've got 3 guys doing some pre-release testing ( [ALPHA] testing, I suppose ). Once I'm comfortable with the Install file, and fairly sure the sql is correct, and other things are done, I'll release the first [BETA] version.
Xabi wrote:I suggest a feature that would covert phpBB3 in a really "social networking" system: a way to input country and region for each user, with dependant dropdown menus. Then, using Phoogle, you could filter all the users from Finland, USA, Australia... and show them on the map.
Cool idea, I'll think about it... ;)

Xabi

Post by Xabi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:00 pm

I can provide you with Country>Region DB schemas for all the countries in the world :-)

I think that this would be a substantial feature.

piegus

Post by piegus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:49 pm

Is it possible that map will be cooperating with phpBB3 Calendar, or Google Calendar about events??

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm

piegus wrote:Is it possible that map will be cooperating with phpBB3 Calendar, or Google Calendar about events??
No, I do not have plans to integrate either of those apps. Out of curiosity: Does Google Calendar have a map component? In other words, if Google Calendar's info could be accessed through the Phoogle Map MOD, would there be location data associated with each calendar entry?

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Xabi wrote:I can provide you with Country>Region DB schemas for all the countries in the world :-)

I think that this would be a substantial feature.
Would this include latatude/longitude information for each Country/region/city that would be in the dynamic drop-downs you mentioned?

Xabi

Post by Xabi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 am

BassFace wrote:Would this include latatude/longitude information for each Country/region/city that would be in the dynamic drop-downs you mentioned?
Mmmm... I'm talking about Country/region, not cities (the region level seems enough for categorizing people, I think). So, latitude/longitud is not useful for regions... Cities would be entered by hand in the phpBB3 location field. But we don't need latitude/longitude for this: Google is able to locate "location,region,country" text schemes. And, if a user wants to set his location more precisely in the map, he could do it by hand.

rbraud

Post by rbraud » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:31 pm

It's exactly what I'm looking for !

I hope that it will be possible to download quickly.

Regards,

Rodolphe

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”