[ABD] phpBB Calendar 0.1.1 (alightner)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
alightner

Re: [Beta] phpBB Calendar 0.1.0 (alightner)

Post by alightner »

Rarehero wrote:Hey guys,

first of all I want to say thank you for this mod.
Unfortunately I have a problem with the mod. Everything seems to work fine, but the calendar setting don't I appear in the acp. Since I'm using a german phpBB installation I suggest, that the error has something to do wie the language integration. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Installed the mod very, very accordingly to the given manual.
2. Reinstalled the mod three times (didn't touch the database since the entries seem to be fine), again very accordingly to the manual.
3. Applied every change to the english language files and folders to the german language files as well.
4. Pruned the cache and checked the permissions again and again and again.

My suggestion, is that something went wrong with the integration into the german acp files. Everything else seems to be fine. When I activate the week overview directly in the database, the week overview appears on the index page. So my questions are:

1. Which files and have to be present to make the mod appear in the acp?
2. Which files have to be altered?
3. Does it have anything to do with missing files?

Thank you
There are language specific files used to defined the strings displayed for the calendar permissions module. I haven't tested the german install, but why not switch to english to install the module in the ACP, and then switch back to german? Not that it's the easiest fix, but you seem to speak english well enough to post your questions here, so I suspect you could manage.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
Do not PM me with questions about my mods.
Support will only be given through the topic threads above.
Rarehero

Post by Rarehero »

Thank you for your answer.

I have to mention, that I new to phpBB and therefore I'm not very experienced with phpBB yet.
But I was able to make some progress. I created a category / tab "Calendar" as a new module and placed the two calendar modules into this category. Now I have a tab "Calendar" in the navigation, but when I click the tab, only one of the two modules depending on which module is placed on top.

I guess I simply messed up the integration in the acp. What I have done before:

1. Went to System / Module Configuration / Administrator
2. Chosed "Calendar Seetings" from the bottom right drop down menu and added the module
3. Returned to the previous page and did the same thing with the second module
4. Activated both modules and placed them in the general settings category
5. Added permissions to my profile and to the administrator group (I'm administrator and member in two different user groups, but I've left both user groups for the installation)
6. Pruned the cache and reloaded the page with Shift + F5

I expected the relating links to appear in the general settings category, but that didn't happen yet. The modules appear as a category tab but not in sidebar navigation.

I'd prefer to have everything related to the calendar appear in a separate category / tab.

P.S.: I don't know how to change the language. I've found a drop down that defines the standart language and changed the standart language to english, but that didn't change anything (pruned the cache of course).
Rarehero

Post by Rarehero »

Ah, it's working now :)

I've integrated the modules into a catgory "Calendar" and placed this category into the general categry. Voila, both modules appear under the headline "calendar" in the general category.

Thank for your help. I can start to modify the mod to work my own phpBB theme :)

P.S.: Oh, I should have placed the modules into a sub category within the general category right from the start, correct? Gnaaaarf, I'm so stupid from time to time.
dda

Post by dda »

Hi

I have installed this mod on Glacier-Template. I can see the calender, i have the rights, i see 2 new register in acp but how i can create a new event? What is going wrong to me. Could you help me please?

http://87.98.140.190/~bischofz/forum2/index.php calendar is bottom.
alightner

Post by alightner »

dda wrote:Hi

I have installed this mod on Glacier-Template. I can see the calender, i have the rights, i see 2 new register in acp but how i can create a new event? What is going wrong to me. Could you help me please?

You first need to rule out whether it's a problem with your permissions or a problem caused by the style.

Change your forum to use prosilver and try clicking on the number of the day (if viewing the month of october click on the number 23 to create a new event today) to see if you can create a new event. If you can create the new event, then you need to keep working on your style to add a user interface for event creation. If clicking on the number of the day doesn't let you create a new event when using the prosilver style, then you haven't finished setting up your permissions properly to give yourself permission to create new events.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
frec

Post by frec »

frec wrote: this is what i meant:

in calendar view month:

in ucp manage event registration:

note the event in manage event registration is not colored.
bump
babyface1980

Post by babyface1980 »

Hi,

I've removed this calendar from my site and am now using a Topic Calendar. I have one problem though. I still have two links in my UCP Main even though I've more than double checked all the code I had to remove it still shows up.

UCP_MAIN_CALENDAR_REGISTRATION
UCP_MAIN_CALENDAR_MYEVENTS

I've cleared the cache and refreshed my templates, however it's still there.
frec

Post by frec »

babyface1980 wrote:Hi,

I've removed this calendar from my site and am now using a Topic Calendar. I have one problem though. I still have two links in my UCP Main even though I've more than double checked all the code I had to remove it still shows up.

you need to delete the modules for UCP.
depending where you add the module, but if you folow alightner's installation instructions for UCP module, then do this:
you go to ACP -> system -> overview -> delete UCP_MAIN_CALENDAR_REGISTRATION and UCP_MAIN_CALENDAR_MYEVENTS
dda

Post by dda »

alightner wrote:
dda wrote:Hi

You first need to rule out whether it's a problem with your permissions or a problem caused by the style.

Change your forum to use prosilver and try clicking on the number of the day (if viewing the month of october click on the number 23 to create a new event today) to see if you can create a new event. If you can create the new event, then you need to keep working on your style to add a user interface for event creation. If clicking on the number of the day doesn't let you create a new event when using the prosilver style, then you haven't finished setting up your permissions properly to give yourself permission to create new events.
yes it was the permissions. But i dont understand. When i make a login with my name this ist the forum creator i cant make new events and when i make a test acount with standard-admin-permissions... they cane.. what i must make that i as owner become the same permission how this testacount?
babyface1980

Post by babyface1980 »

frec wrote:
babyface1980 wrote:Hi,

you need to delete the modules for UCP.
depending where you add the module, but if you folow alightner's installation instructions for UCP module, then do this:
you go to ACP -> system -> overview -> delete UCP_MAIN_CALENDAR_REGISTRATION and UCP_MAIN_CALENDAR_MYEVENTS
Thanks a million!! You're a star.
novice-1

Post by novice-1 »

I asked a while ago, I wondered how long before bugs are sorted etc and full release date? or is it going to be sometime yet while in beta?
DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo »

alightner wrote:
DJ Skitzo wrote:Would it be possible to maybe improve the calendar to add better timezone support? I have noticed that if a member adds an event to the calendar and their timezone is for example +01, then for me who has a timezone of +00 the event would show as starting at the incorrect time, thus causing a problem if I was planning on attending that event (my website is about music events and people travel around the world to attend them).

I also noticed that if someone has incorrect DST settings for their own account that also causes the events to appear as starting/ending at incorrect times aswell.
This mod has great timezone support... if the user creating the event schedules it for 5pm their time and you're one hour earlier than they are it will show as 4pm for you (in your timezone) and 5pm for them (in their timezone) - which is the way it should be. Outlook and many other widely used calendar systems behave this way. If your calendar is about planning events in all different timezones... what timezone would you expect the event to be displayed in? You would need some frame of reference for the user (and that's set by the user themself in their control panel). If you travel to an event and re-log into the forum, it's up to you the user to change your timezone in the UCP to match your current timezone because you moved - the forum didn't move, and it can't be responsible for guessing where you are. Besides what if they user wasn't traveling to the event... what if they wanted to watch it live over the web... they'd need to see the time with respect to their local time to know exactly when the event starts.

All day events are different if you create an all day event for October 12th, the event will say midnight to midnight the day of October 12th to all viewers (no matter what their timezone).
Today has become a perfect example of my point, the clocks have gone back 1 hour here in the UK, now when all of the users on my website have changed their daylight saving time from yes to no the calendar now displays all events as starting too early and ending early aswell.

I know that their is a button in the ACP for moving all events forward/back one hour, but then wouldn't this effect countries who's timezone don't have daylight saving time?
alightner

Post by alightner »

DJ Skitzo wrote:Today has become a perfect example of my point, the clocks have gone back 1 hour here in the UK, now when all of the users on my website have changed their daylight saving time from yes to no the calendar now displays all events as starting too early and ending early aswell.

I know that their is a button in the ACP for moving all events forward/back one hour, but then wouldn't this effect countries who's timezone don't have daylight saving time?
Just like the main phpbb software can't predict when individual users will adjust their DST setting, this mod can't predict it either... that's just a limitation of global calendars in general when different countries have different rules about DST. Yes the tool in the ACP isn't foolproof... if you have some users in different zones that observe DST at different dates. It's there as a utility to help admins cope if the majority of your users recognize DST at the same time, it won't help everyone, that's why the +/- hour switch doesn't happen automatically when the admin changes the forum time settings in the ACP, it's just there for a utility for anyone who thinks it will help.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo »

alightner wrote:
DJ Skitzo wrote:Today has become a perfect example of my point, the clocks have gone back 1 hour here in the UK, now when all of the users on my website have changed their daylight saving time from yes to no the calendar now displays all events as starting too early and ending early aswell.

Just like the main phpbb software can't predict when individual users will adjust their DST setting, this mod can't predict it either... that's just a limitation of global calendars in general when different countries have different rules about DST. Yes the tool in the ACP isn't foolproof... if you have some users in different zones that observe DST at different dates. It's there as a utility to help admins cope if the majority of your users recognize DST at the same time, it won't help everyone, that's why the +/- hour switch doesn't happen automatically when the admin changes the forum time settings in the ACP, it's just there for a utility for anyone who thinks it will help.
phpBB does still deal with it though, all dates are stored as a UNIX timestamp, which when processed with $user->format_date(), all timezone/DST dates and times become right, but for some reason their is only the calendar which doesn't update itself.
alightner

Post by alightner »

I store mine with the exact same unix timestamp that phpbb does... and use the same function as the main phpbb software to display the date with respect to the current user's timezone settings. It's exactly the same way phpbb stores post times etc. In fact, if you had a post that was displayed as being written at 5pm yesterday, and a calendar event that was scheduled for 5 pm yesterday, now that you've moved the forum time back one hour (by adjusting the DST setting) both the post and calendar event would suddenly say 4pm instead of 5pm. They're the same.
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”