[ABD] phpBB Calendar 0.1.1 (alightner)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
vincentSD

Re: [DEV] phpBB Calendar (alightner/spacedog)

Post by vincentSD » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 pm

rove wrote:Great mod, i certainly will use it. If you decide to turn it into a topic calendar however then i won't use it. I have absolutely no need for a topic calendar.
Ideally he'd just add the functionality to optionally tie them to topics, not require it for any/all events created. That way, if you never, ever tie them to a topic, you're fine, but if you do, you're fine, and if you want a mix, you're also fine.

It could be done as simply as a button on a topic to create a calendar entry from the first post which would open the calendar entry panel and retain the topic's location to be included with the calendar entry. Set a field saying which KIND of calendar entry it is and store the topic lookup data in the body of the entry. When viewed, it takes that data and opens the thread instead of displaying the body content. Volia.

Not as "clean" as integrating it into the post at create time but a hell of a lot more flexible, fairly easy to do (I think) and everyone benefits.

alightner

Post by alightner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 pm

vincentSD wrote:Ideally he'd just add the functionality to optionally tie them to topics, not require it for any/all events created.
Please stop assuming all people who write code are men - it was funny at first, but now I'm starting to get annoyed... this is the third time I've had to correct someone in the calendar thread (if you include the original post from spacedog)... in which he told everyong I was a girl in the original post by saying:
Added alightner to the dev team. She's a much welcomed and thorough addition.
I'm not assuming everyone reads the whole thread and realizes I'm a girl, but why not just say "Ideally they would just..." when in doubt?
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
Do not PM me with questions about my mods.
Support will only be given through the topic threads above.

hedd gwynfor
Translator

Post by hedd gwynfor » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 pm

A fair enough point 'alightner', but what about the content of his/her post? ;)

alightner

Post by alightner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:51 pm

I don't want to hack things together - either I'll fully support adding events from post creation or I won't bother at all... the half way functionality where you click a button to create an event with default values extracted from the post sounds like a maintanence disaster ;) There's a risk of things being out of sync if the user alters data in one place and not the other. If keeping things in sync is the purpose of adding topic calendar support, that proposed solution won't help much.

I like the idea of having the checkbox in the ACP to turn the topic calendar support on and off so it's optional, as I personally have no use for it.

It's looking like there are plenty of people who want the calendar as is (and a few who wouldn't mind the optional enhancement) so I will probably release what is working now (whenever permissions are added). Then, if I have spare time to add the topic calendar support after recurring events get implemented - great, but if not and someone beats me to it by creating a mod for this mod (as Gremlinn suggested) that would be great too. :D
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

RigNalScIn

Post by RigNalScIn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:28 am

alightner wrote:It's looking like there are plenty of people who want the calendar as is (and a few who wouldn't mind the optional enhancement) so I will probably release what is working now (whenever permissions are added). Then, if I have spare time to add the topic calendar support after recurring events get implemented - great, but if not and someone beats me to it by creating a mod for this mod (as Gremlinn suggested) that would be great too. :D
YEA!!!! :D :D :D :D

One of the great things about MOD's and open source in general is that you can simply dev them for how YOU want them and people can pick up and carry the ball further from there if they like...

vincentSD

Post by vincentSD » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am

alightner wrote:Please stop assuming all people who write code are men...
In the English language, when gender is unknown the masculine is used.
...why not just say "Ideally they would just..." when in doubt?
Because, again, a specific person not a reference to a general person nor to an ambiguous entity that may be singular or plural was used. As a single author is known in the non-general sense and gender was ambiguous -- when skimming for content among 70-odd threads it's remarkable how few gender references one tends to pick up -- the masculine pronoun was appropriate.

At my work, there's a Carol and an Ashley, both regularly referenced in 3rd-party e-mails as 'she' even though they're guys. It happens in print media. Having an existential crisis isn't really called for. (BTW, half my coding dept has XX chromosomes, don't make the assumption that others are making unfounded assumptions either :p )

Kudlaty

Post by Kudlaty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:02 am

I want to say that i really await for first realse of this mod. It's really great :)

I see in this topic that ppl want to topic calendar event.. if U do that.. please also add choice to swich on/off this feature. :)

And if it's not a big problem to add sign in for some events it's will be great... I think about sign in like MMO raid sign up.

About that the people think that only man programming... U know.. there is not to much girl which programming or even interested in informatics. So they believe that only man can programming... I know that's really annoyed but maybe some day that things change. :) I see on my study that repeatedly is more and more girl on informatics :)

So good luck with programming :)
I wait for this mod with impatient

(Sorry for my poor english.. )

alightner

Post by alightner » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Kudlaty wrote:And if it's not a big problem to add sign in for some events it's will be great... I think about sign in like MMO raid sign up.
Sorry - I don't know much about Raid (I think it's a gaming thing) but that's as much as I know... I might add some attendance tracking features to this mod someday... but I don't fully understand most of the features listed in the link you provided:
Members can sign-up for the raids posted, listing their class, level, resists, keys, etc.
If I were to add attendence features it would likely be a simple checkbox on the view event page where users could "vote" yes, no, or maybe if they plan on attending. Then perhaps display a list the usernames who have already RSVP'd as links to their profiles... so if that info is available in their profiles, people could find out what they need by clicking on the usernames listed, but as for making the attendence mod so specialized for raid that it lists raid specific info on the view event page - someone else will have to do that ;)
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

alightner

Post by alightner » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:53 pm

vincentSD wrote:In the English language, when gender is unknown the masculine is used.
That's incorrect in modern English... that's why we are taught to say "postal carrier" or "postal worker" now instead of "postman". Perhaps you are not from the US and your rules for English are different... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one :D However, for future reference in the US that would be an inappropriate rule.... moving on now :)
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

alightner

Post by alightner » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:31 am

It looks like permissions are running now. I still need to update the demo with this weekend's changes... but it's getting very close.

Thanks to PaoDoc for providing an Italian translation and doing some testing this morning :D
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

PaoDoc

Post by PaoDoc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:22 am

My job is nothing respect to yours ;) When the mod will be ready I'll publish a topic on http://www.phpbb.it with your mod!

alightner

Post by alightner » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:11 am

The demo has been updated with permissions (see first post in thread for details on testing the different permission options)... now all I have to do is package up the mod for it's first release :D
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota

SaWey

Post by SaWey » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:38 am

Good luck packing it up! :)

Will the package also contain the option to select who will be able to view the event?
(As in the demo, this is disabled)

moifest

Post by moifest » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Great news alightner,
Much awaited MOD this.

Thanks

GoleyC

Post by GoleyC » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Before you package it up, you should double check the 'week' view text, as the one in the demo is showing {WEEK} instead of the text word Week.

This shows up when adding an event.
CG

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”