[ABD] MSPortal

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
denney

[ABD] MSPortal

Post by denney »

MOD Title: MSPortal
MOD Description: MSPortal is Mantra Software's premier portal system for the phpBB3 forum. The portal wraps content in your phpBB theme header and footer making the portal pages look like an extension of your forum and integrating them seamlessly.
MOD Version: v1.0.RC2

MOD Download: MSPortal Download

Screenshots: MSPortal Screenshots

Unlike other portal systems, MSPortal attempts to be as simple and powerful as possible while strictly keeping with your forums look and feel. You can also redirect forums to their respective portal pages while still allowing users to post comments and topics.

Each page is fully customizable and is accessed via a specific URL you provide. If you display topics from a forum on a page, you can prevent access to that forum and redirect your users to the corresponding portal page instead. The portal will display a link on the forum index allowing users to still create new topics.

This is not the same RC2 build as before! MSPortal has been COMPLETELY rewritten from the ground up.
Last edited by denney on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Check out Mantra Software for my phpBB3 modifications and Denney's Dimension for my blog.
notsa

Re: [RC1] MSPortal v1.0.RC1

Post by notsa »

The action you attempted is not permitted.
:?: :?: :?: :?:
denney

Post by denney »

Oops.. :oops: Sorry about that. I was playing with permissions before ad forgot to give anonymous users permission to download.

It should work now.
Check out Mantra Software for my phpBB3 modifications and Denney's Dimension for my blog.
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

Denney, I must say this is a beautiful, easy to implement mod. Very simple install, and wonderful results. Some people may think it is kind of basic, but I, myself, prefer a more lightweight, modular approach to modification. Don't give in to the urge that so many others do, and load it up with unnecessary bloat. It's perfect with the features it has.

I had tried other mods attempting to achieve these same results, only to have them fail, or be semi-functional. Your mod is well coded, fast and easy to use. And as a nice bonus it picks up the overall theme of the forum - no need to fiddle with it to get it to look the same as the rest of the site. What more could one want?

I wish you the best, and will keep an eye on your work to come. If this mod is any indication, I'm sure to see many more good things to come from Mantra.

Thank you for your hard work.
-Spider
Twent

Post by Twent »

Does this allow you to control what it shows first?
Like can you make it so by default it shows the forum (as usual) then like the other links, it shows up in the navigation?
tupeu

Post by tupeu »

Great Work!
OK, i saw your site and this is my opinion:

I Don`t like: the blog- needs something...maybe you can make it to look like a wordpress blog, that would be spectacular and great to use

I like: those "view my profile on..." icons and I love your pictures gallery
For now, I just want that pictures gallery, how can I get only that?
denney

Post by denney »

Thankyou for all your kind responses. It's always nice to know your work is appreciated and it gives me a reason to continue developing it.

@Spider M. Mann: I don't plan on overloading it like some other portals because that's the reason I made this one. To just make it simple and display what I want.

@Twent: If you just leave the default index.php then yes, it will display your forum first. You can put the portal anywhere you want (even outside your own forum directory). The portal only display lists of topics like a news page. You can add links where ever you want inside your theme (that's up to you).

@tupeu: The picture gallery is a highly modified version of the NukedGallery script.

The blog, I know, it does need something like a sidebar. I am looking at adding a simple sidebar to display things like latest comments etc. Just basic blocks you can configure on the page. Nothing to detailed or extensive.

There's a tutorial for the "view my profile" links on my site. I haven't updated it to include the icons yet.
Twent

Post by Twent »

Awesome. Thanks.
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

Denney,

Just to give you a heads up - the Portal page wouldn't validate under XHTML 1.0 Strict with the way you have it set up (not to burst your bubble). There are two things you may want to adjust to make it compliant:

First, the <style> tag in msportal_body.html and msportal_page.html need to include the type= element, like this: <style type="text/css"> to make it valid (like the alt= tag for images).

Second, that block cannot be inside the <body> element, it needs to move into the <head> section. My workaround was to place this into the overall_header.html of the style, and it was fine:

Find in /styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html:

Code: Select all

</head>   
Before add:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
.gensmall {
    margin: 1px 1px;
    font-size: 10px;
}

.msportal_post {
    width: 100%;
}

.msportal_sticky {
    background-color: #F7ECEF;
}

.msportal_announce, .msportal_global {
    background-color: #ECD5D8;
}
</style>

And then remove those blocks of code from the msportal_body.html and msportal_page.html pages. Then it validated just fine.

You may want to implement it in a different fashion, like it's own CSS file or something, but this is a quick fix for validation. Good luck, and thanks again!

-Spider
denney

Post by denney »

No problem. I've made a note to put it into it's own CSS (like I was going to originally) before v1.0 is released.
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

Cool. It's no biggie, in the scheme of things. I'll let you know if I see anything else in my travels (which I highly doubt).

-Spider
gamerxgirl

Post by gamerxgirl »

Thanks for this! This is what I was looking for in a 'portal', all the other portals currently out don't come anywhere near what I need. :roll:
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

denney wrote:...I've made a note to put it into it's own CSS (like I was going to originally) before v1.0 is released.
Yeah, that's the best idea. I just put one together, and that's definitely the way to go. If anyone else is reading this, disregard my previous solution and make a separate CSS file for it instead, and call it from the overall_header.html file. Much cleaner.

Thanks!
-Spider
halofight977

Post by halofight977 »

OMG OMG OMG I love you, I've been looking for this for as long as phpbb2.0 was out! =D

Looks sooo cool.
A cool gaming website with a great community. :: I offer a forum for testing mods out. Just PM, Register for my site, or E-Mail me.
halofight977

Post by halofight977 »

How do you make it red?

Also could you make it a little more "fluffy" (fluff is stuff that isn't required but make it better)
but that I mean maybe have it like how you post a topic, but your actually posting a page ;)
A cool gaming website with a great community. :: I offer a forum for testing mods out. Just PM, Register for my site, or E-Mail me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”