[ABD]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Locked
User avatar
lachlan438
Registered User
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:40 am

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by lachlan438 »

how can i put Rss feed in to the address bar
marksch
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Netherlands
Name: Mark
Contact:

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by marksch »

Hello,

I have installed this mod and have two problems.

1) After making all modifications, the RSS link appears nowhere in my forum.

2) The unicode text inside the

Code: Select all

 tags is not recognised. Apparently, the feed contains an incorrect unicode encoding header (or whatever it is called). 

The RSS feed itself works and can be found at
http://runrev.info/rrforum/phpBB3/rss.php

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Mark
Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new projects. Contact me for a quote.

Share the clipboard of your computer over a local network with Clipboard Link.
marksch
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Netherlands
Name: Mark
Contact:

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by marksch »

Hi,

I can now answer my own question. In the control panel, I have to go to the Styles tab, click on Templates and then on Renew. After doing force-reload in the browser, I can now see the RSS button in my forums.

I also included an RSS button in the address bar. I simply added

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="rss.php" />
after

Code: Select all

<link href="{T_THEME_PATH}/normal.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" title="A" />
<link href="{T_THEME_PATH}/medium.css" rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" title="A+" />
<link href="{T_THEME_PATH}/large.css" rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" title="A++" />
in the file overall_header.html in the folder /styles/proSilver/template/. Note that the file rss.php is in the root of my forum.

I noticed, however, that the button in the address bar doesn't appear if the forum runs inside a frame in the browser. So, I will add the same link to the headers of the html file that defines the frame.

Best,

Mark
Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new projects. Contact me for a quote.

Share the clipboard of your computer over a local network with Clipboard Link.
hug3
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 am

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by hug3 »

for subsilver2 template
****************************************************************************************************************************

Code: Select all

File Copy

Copy: root/rss.php 
To: root/rss.php 

Copy: root/styles/prosilver/theme/images/icon_rss.gif 
To: root/styles/subsilver2/theme/images/icon_rss.gif 

Code: Select all

Open: styles/subsilver2/template/overall_header.html
Find Code: 
<td class="genmed" align="{S_CONTENT_FLOW_END}">

Add on the next line Code: 
<a href="{U_RSS}"><img src="{T_THEME_PATH}/images/icon_rss.gif" width="12" height="13" alt="*" />{L_RSS_EXPLAIN}</a>&nbsp; &nbsp;

Code: Select all

Open: language/en/common.php
Find Code:
'EXTENSION_DISABLED_AFTER_POSTING'	=> 'The extension <strong>%s</strong> has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.',

Add on the next line Code: 
//rss feed code
  'RSS_EXPLAIN'	  =>'RSS ',	
  'RSS_READ_TOPIC' =>'Read Main Topic',
  'RSS_COPYRIGHT' =>'Copyright by',
  'RSS_FAILURE'	=>'Failed to get latest topics',

Code: Select all

Open: includes/functions.php
Find Code:
'U_RESTORE_PERMISSIONS'	=> ($user->data['user_perm_from'] && $auth->acl_get('a_switchperm')) ? append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}ucp.$phpEx", 'mode=restore_perm') : '',

Add on the next line Code: 
//rss feed code
    'U_RSS'			=>append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}rss.$phpEx"), 
***************************************************************************************************************************
save the files re-upload them,
refresh the template and go get it
hug3
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 am

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by hug3 »

One question i got is:
if the thread in the forum is multipage the link in RSS takes you to the first page, not the last ??

Is there a quick way to fix this so the link takes you to the last post on the last page??
User avatar
karbiko
Registered User
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by karbiko »

Hi
Nice mod, manchumahara.
It's makes its job very well

I've got a question and I've read all the replies and I don´t know if it's working now..
I tray to explain myself (sorry by my english)

In my forum, I have a closed users' group that have access to an special forum.
So, only this kind of users can see the topics inside and participate in them.

But if some normal user (or a guess that gets the url to RSS) goes to a RSS viewer, then all topics are shown.
So he can see all the closed topics that he doesn't have enought permiss to access.

Is there any way to close that "free" access?
Thanks
I hope I were enought clear you understand me.... :oops:
hug3
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 am

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by hug3 »

karbiko wrote:Hi
Nice mod, manchumahara.
It's makes its job very well

I've got a question and I've read all the replies and I don´t know if it's working now..
I tray to explain myself (sorry by my english)

In my forum, I have a closed users' group that have access to an special forum.
So, only this kind of users can see the topics inside and participate in them.

But if some normal user (or a guess that gets the url to RSS) goes to a RSS viewer, then all topics are shown.
So he can see all the closed topics that he doesn't have enought permiss to access.

Is there any way to close that "free" access?
Thanks
I hope I were enought clear you understand me.... :oops:
that is weird, possibly check your permissions for those topics, as I got this mod installed and it only displays whatever users should see as in only to what permissions they have.
User avatar
karbiko
Registered User
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by karbiko »

Thanks Hug3
I have some differents users, with differents access to de forums and they work well

I have 2 principals forums: one with free access to registered users and another with access just for an special group of users.
If I go inside with my registered user acount, I can't see the special forums
And if I do it with the special group account I can see both of them

But if I go to google reader and I see the RSS of my forum I have access to all the posts.

Even when I was in the first page of my forum, before having access, I could see the RSS image and it showed the link.
So if anybody could get it, he goes to reader and can see inside without registering in the forum

Then, now I have the mod installed, but I have deleted the icon so that nobody can see it, and I have a topic in the special forum to give the access link to RSS functions
(Is there any way for not showing the RSS icon in the accesing page, untill the users came inside?)

So, finally, I don't know what it's hapenning with mine...
User avatar
manchumahara
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Bangladesh
Contact:

Re: [RC1]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by manchumahara »

Updated to new version 1.0.5. Check the first post. Now Feed validation error is fixed. The mod is also submitted to moddb for approval. Check here for approved vesion(1.0.4)
User avatar
karbiko
Registered User
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

Re: [RC1]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by karbiko »

Hi again...
I could do some tests and found that actually in the reader you access messages depending on the permissions you have assigned.

Thanks for your help
endeffects
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: [RC1]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by endeffects »

a small bug for the rss icon, it is jumping which means its much higher then
the other icons on the beside them
hug3
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:16 am

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by hug3 »

karbiko wrote:Thanks Hug3
I have some differents users, with differents access to de forums and they work well

I have 2 principals forums: one with free access to registered users and another with access just for an special group of users.
If I go inside with my registered user acount, I can't see the special forums
And if I do it with the special group account I can see both of them

But if I go to google reader and I see the RSS of my forum I have access to all the posts.

Even when I was in the first page of my forum, before having access, I could see the RSS image and it showed the link.
So if anybody could get it, he goes to reader and can see inside without registering in the forum

Then, now I have the mod installed, but I have deleted the icon so that nobody can see it, and I have a topic in the special forum to give the access link to RSS functions
(Is there any way for not showing the RSS icon in the accesing page, untill the users came inside?)

So, finally, I don't know what it's hapenning with mine...
OHH I see what you mean,

Well for that to work you need to change edit in overall_header.html.

Code: Select all

Open: styles/subsilver2/template/overall_header.html
Find Code:
<td class="genmed" align="{S_CONTENT_FLOW_END}">

Add on the next line Code:
<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN --><a href="{U_RSS}"><img src="{T_THEME_PATH}/images/icon_rss.gif" width="12" height="13" alt="*" />{L_RSS_EXPLAIN}</a>
&nbsp; &nbsp;<!-- ENDIF -->
if you look closely I added <!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN --><!-- ENDIF --> part
ptex
Registered User
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by ptex »

marksch wrote:I also included an RSS button in the address bar. I simply added

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="rss.php" />
Wonderful suggestion, I highly recommend it gets included in the next version of the modx instructions of this mod! 8-)
User avatar
manchumahara
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Bangladesh
Contact:

Re: [Beta]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by manchumahara »

ptex wrote:
marksch wrote:I also included an RSS button in the address bar. I simply added

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="rss.php" />
Wonderful suggestion, I highly recommend it gets included in the next version of the modx instructions of this mod! 8-)
That's great. I didn't mark it before. I will include it in next version.
User avatar
karbiko
Registered User
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

Re: [RC1]simple rss mod for phpbb3

Post by karbiko »

Thanks Hug3
Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”