[ABD] Topic Preview 0.7.1

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Re: [BETA] Topic Preview 0.7.1

Post by IPB_Refugee »

I cannot confirm this issue (using Firefox 3.0.2). (Maybe it's a caching issue that has nothing to do with phpBB-3 or this MOD.)
SafariAl

Post by SafariAl »

most likely it is, seeing as this is a hover event.
wmtoo
Name: Josi

Post by wmtoo »

I have actually considered that it is a caching issue....
Canis-Lupus

Post by Canis-Lupus »

This mod is working on my forum. The transpararent background problem I was having may have been caused by refreshing the wrong theme's templates. :oops:

Anyway, it is a nice mod to have on a forum but I am having a few little issues with it and was wondering whether anyone can suggest a solution.

1. It is not working with IE but is working fine with Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey.

2. It will not work on the main index page but works elsewhere where it should. This may be a compatablility problem with the last post on index page mod I installed. (Edit: Pretty sure this is the problem as that mod has its own popup box which shows the full title of the topic).

3. The popup box appears in a position below the cursor which can often lead to it contents in whole or in part being cut off at the bottom of the screen. Is there anyway of altering its position to ensure it does not disappear in whole or in part off the bottom of the screen?\

Thanks for reading this post. If you wish to submit an account for your time, please PM me and it will be duly considered. ;)
pgarvin76

Post by pgarvin76 »

Canis-Lupus wrote:This mod is working on my forum. The transpararent background problem I was having may have been caused by refreshing the wrong theme's templates. :oops:

Anyway, it is a nice mod to have on a forum but I am having a few little issues with it and was wondering whether anyone can suggest a solution.

1. It is not working with IE but is working fine with Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey.
This is strange. I have thoroughly tested it on IE 6 & 7. I have noticed sometimes IE required several "refreshes" to properly clear the cache. How about deleting "temporary internet files" and see if it works.
Canis-Lupus wrote:2. It will not work on the main index page but works elsewhere where it should. This may be a compatablility problem with the last post on index page mod I installed. (Edit: Pretty sure this is the problem as that mod has its own popup box which shows the full title of the topic).
There is nothing to display on the main index page b/c there aren't any posts on that page, unless you install a mod like you did. I will be working on the code to make it compatible with NV Recent Topics soon, probably after I submit it to the official MOD DB.
Canis-Lupus wrote:3. The popup box appears in a position below the cursor which can often lead to it contents in whole or in part being cut off at the bottom of the screen. Is there anyway of altering its position to ensure it does not disappear in whole or in part off the bottom of the screen?
I'm sure you "could" program it so it shifts the position relative to the screen border. It's bound to be tricky b/c of the different way the different browsers deal with window size and position. I see this as a low importance request right now.
pgarvin76

Post by pgarvin76 »

wmtoo wrote:I have actually considered that it is a caching issue....
I'm interested in your problem. But I don't have any idea where to start troubleshooting w/o some type of pattern. Since it does work most of the time I doubt it is related to caching. You do realize that the MOD won't work with your recent topics mod(s) right? See my comments in the above post about creating something to work with NV recent topics. Do you have that or another mod that does the same thing?
pgarvin76

Post by pgarvin76 »

Attention All:

I will be away from a computer and not able to read or reply to posts for the next three weeks, 9/26/08 thru 10/18/08. If you are having issues please search the thread first as it is probable that the solution had been posted before.

I consider this mod stable right now. But there are two areas were people seem to have trouble.
1) After installing the MOD and activating the ACP module you must visit the ACP module page for this mod and activate it. Then the users must turn the mod on themselves, unless you use my mass change utility.
2) After installing or updating the mod many users have gotten the "transparent floating text". This is caused by the BROWSER'S CACHE. You must manually refresh a forum page to force the browser to re-download the CSS. IE seems to be buggy at this and may take several refreshes.

If you still don't see an answer post up and one of the other users may help you. I will answer all unresolved posts when I get back.

The future: I have been working on, in the limited time I have had recently, integrating the mass change utility into the ACP module. I will have a lot more time once I return from my honeymoon to finish this. After that is done I need to clean up the main install file and re-organize the other files a bit. I want to make certain parts of the install easier to understand and I need to update the files to conform to MODX 1.2.1. then I will submit the mod to the official MOD DB. Once that is done I will begin working on making the MOD work with NV Recent Topics and similar MODS.

Thanks to everyone who has installed and supported the MOD. See you in three weeks. :D
wmtoo

Post by wmtoo »

I know you won't be back for a bit - I can wait :) My users won't die with the intermittent issue.

Yes - I do have NV's mod installed (recent topics) - so that could be a culprit. Since I have about 20 styles to modify, I will wait 'til you get back and see if you come up w/something that might be compatible with the R/T mod.

If I could have one "wish" - it would be to be able to hover over the title and get the first topic to pop (as it does) and then also be able to hover over the "last topic posted" image (the little, tiny paper-looking image next to the user's name who posted last) to get a mouseover for the last topic. Having it work w/Board3Portal's news block, as well, would be icing on the cake.

I don't want much, eh?? :?
jab_904

Post by jab_904 »

Awesome awesome mod, works for me without issue. Many thanks and props to pgarvin for developing this. Just what I was looking for. :D
globetrotting

Re: [BETA] Topic Preview 0.7.0a

Post by globetrotting »

awesome, works very well except one thing:
autinhyeu wrote: when i search new posts, this MOD not work...
in reply
IPB_Refugee wrote: this MOD is not supposed to work with searches for posts. ...This MOD only works when you search for topics.
When I search for new posts since last login, there is a viewforum-like list of new topics.
There is no preview shown on this page, which I believe is a bug - and I think that autinhyeu meant the same thing.

My 0.7.1 -download shows within the modifications needed in search.php two "FIND"-Instructions in a row without giving any instruction what to do with the first one:

Code: Select all

In search.php 

Find 
Tip: This may be a partial find and not the whole line.
Code: Select All
                    $shadow_topic_list[$row['topic_moved_id']] = $row['topic_id'];

Find 

Tip: This may be a partial find and not the whole line.
                $rowset[$row['topic_id']] = $row;
Add after
Tip: Add these lines on a new blank line after the preceding line(s) to find.
				// mod: Topic Preview
				$topic_preview->set_post_ids($row['topic_first_post_id'], $row['topic_last_post_id']);
				// end: Topic Preview

maybe that is the reason?
Das Sein ändert das Bewußtsein
mtrs

Post by mtrs »

I have a private forum in my board.
When I see that forum, this mod shows php notice.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewforum.php on line 704: Undefined offset: 2498
These are the lines of 700-710 viewforum.php

// mod: Topic Preview
        if ($topic_preview->enabled) {
            $template->assign_block_vars('topicpreview', array(
                'TOPIC_ID' => $topic_id,
                'PREVIEW_TEXT' => $topic_preview_posts[$topic_id], //line 704
                'ALT_TEXT' => $user->lang[$folder_alt])
            );
            unset($topic_preview_posts[$topic_id]);
        }
        // end: Topic Preview
        unset($rowset[$topic_id]); 
I abandoned all of my mods.
DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo »

I have installed this (for the second time now), the first time was on a subSilver2 based them (AcidTech), but now I have changed the layout of my forum to a proSilver based theme.

The edits where exactly the same in the html files, however, when I move my mouse over a topic title I just get the writing, but no background & the worst bit is that it displays around half of a page below the actual topic in internet explorer & in fire fox the writing displays in the same place as IE, however, the background of the box actually shows up for that.
wmtoo

Post by wmtoo »

Did you make sure to do the theme/common.css edit?

I found, too, that I got no background until I did that.

I also changed the font from 10px to 12px because my users complain it's too small.
DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo »

Yeah I did the edit & then refreshed my themes and templates and purged the cache
eman80

Post by eman80 »

DJ Skitzo wrote:Yeah I did the edit & then refreshed my themes and templates and purged the cache
Try to click (ctrl + F5) to purge your browser chace.

I faced this problem too when I installed this mod but it was solved when I did that.
Last edited by eman80 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welcome to my forum:
http://www.elibrary4arab.com

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”