[ABD] lastRSS autoposting bot MOD (0.1.4)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
damian0612

Re: [DEV] lastRSS autoposting bot MOD (0.1.4)

Post by damian0612 »

Hi,

The topic title seems to be limited to a certain number of characters, is this correct? I have installed a mod to allow 120 characters in the topic title, is there a way to allow the full topic title to be displayed?

Thanks
DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Post by DragonMaster1 »

damian0612 wrote:Hi,

The topic title seems to be limited to a certain number of characters, is this correct? I have installed a mod to allow 120 characters in the topic title, is there a way to allow the full topic title to be displayed?

Thanks

This is a limitation with phpbb

I had this problem with another mod and it was able to increase characters to 255

This should help you:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
	<title>Increase Subject Length @ phpBB Smith</title>
	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
	<meta name="Author" content="Jeremy Rogers">
	<meta name="Keywords" content="mods modifications hacks addon modded forum fora message board chat support development download template styles">
	<meta name="Description" content="A brief tutorial explaining how to increase the allowed length of subjects in phpBB 3.">
	<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.phpbbsmith.com/favicon.ico">
	<link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/smith.css" type="text/css">
		<link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/hacks.css" type="text/css" />
		<link rel="alternate" href="http://www.phpbbsmith.com/mb/rss.php?f=7&t=1" type="text/xml" title="RSS Feed">
	<script language="JavaScript" src="/common/site.js"></script>
</head>
<body id="top">

<div id="header">
	<div id="logo">phpBB Smith</div>
	<div id="tagline">Forging Refinements For Your Forum</div>
</div>
<script language="JavaScript" src="/common/select_expand1.js"></script>

<div id="advert">
	<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-8635322004979966";
google_alternate_ad_url = "http://www.phpbbsmith.com/inc/altad.php";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
google_ad_format = "728x90_as";
google_ad_type = "text_image";
google_ad_channel ="";
google_color_border = "8B4513";
google_color_bg = "FFEBCD";
google_color_link = "0000CC";
google_color_url = "008000";
google_color_text = "000000";
//--></script>
<script type="text/javascript"
  src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script></div>

<div id="breadcrumb">
	<a href="/" title="Back to phpBB Smith">phpBB Smith</a>
			&mdash;> <a href="/support.html" title="Back to Support">Support</a>
		&mdash;> <a href="/support.html#customize-bb3" title="Back to Customize Your phpBB 3 Forum">Customize Your phpBB 3 Forum</a>
			&mdash;> Increase Subject Length	</div>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="pagecols">
	<tr valign="top">
		<td id="leftcol">
<div id="topmenu">
<ul>
		<li><a href="/index.html">Home</a></li>
		<li class="block">Refinements</li>
	<li class="indent"><a href="/refinements.html" title="Modifications, Hacks, Templates, and More">Downloads</a></li>
	<li class="indent"><a href="/support.html" title="Guides and help for using phpBB.">Support</a></li>
	<li class="indent"><a href="/book.html" title="Info on my books!">Books</a></li>
	<li><a href="/utilities.html" title="Scripts to help you">Utilities</a></li>
	<li class="indent"><a href="/generate-db.html" title="Run SQL without installing extra programs">DB Update</a></li>
	<li><a href="/mb/forums.html" title="Help for projects based on this site.">Support Board</a></li>
		<li class="indent"><a href="/mb/login.html" rel="nofollow">Log In</a></li>

<li><a href="/awards.html" title="Recognition from the phpBB Community">Awards</a></li>
	<li><a href="/about.html" title="About the Author and Site">About Us</a></li>
	<li><a href="/mail.html" title="Send feedback.">Contact Us</a></li>
	<li><a href="/mailinglist.html" title="Subscribe for News.">Get Updated</a></li>
	<li><a href="/donate.html" title="Show your support.">Link to Us</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

</td>
		<td id="maincol" rowspan="3">
<div id="content">
		<h1>Increase Subject Length</h1>

<p class="start">
	By default, phpBB 3 limits the length of post and topic subjects to 60 characters. In some boards, it is desirable to allow longer subjects, so this is a guide to hacking your phpBB to increase the limit. We will use 120 as the new subject length here, but you can use a different number by simply changing 120 to that number in the instructions that follow.	</p>
		<p>
	Before beginning, let me point out some limitations of this guide and the methods we will be using. The maximum subject length allowed by the MySQL database software is 255 characters, and this cannot be exceeded by the methods we will be using (there is a way, which we'll look at later). Other database management software (DBMS) may have different character limits. We will also be using SQL queries to alter the database tables. These queries are written for use in MySQL. If you are using another DBMS, you may need to edit the queries before you can use them. Now, on to the hacking!	</p>
		<p>
	There are three steps to increasing the subject length. First, you may need to run a few SQL queries. If you plan to use subject lengths of 100 characters or less, you can skip the queries. They're only needed when going over 100 characters.	</p>
		<p>
	You can run the needed queries using a database utility like phpMyAdmin or a <a href="/generate-db.html">Database Update script</a>. If you use phpMyAdmin, you may need to change the <span class="bold">phpbb_</span> prefix of the database table names in these queries. Database Update scripts will handle that automatically.	</p>
		<p>
	<script type="text/javascript" src="/common/select_expand_bbcodes.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
	var id = 'SXBB' + (1000 + Math.floor(Math.random() * 5000));
	SXBB[id] = new _SXBB(id);
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<pre class="code"><script type="text/javascript">
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts CHANGE post_subject post_subject varchar(120) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics CHANGE topic_title topic_title varchar(120) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_drafts CHANGE draft_subject draft_subject varchar(120) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums CHANGE forum_last_post_subject forum_last_post_subject varchar(120) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_privmsgs CHANGE message_subject message_subject varchar(120) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics CHANGE topic_last_post_subject topic_last_post_subject varchar(120) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
<!--
		document.write('</div>');
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	The second step is to prevent phpBB 3 from cutting off the subjects after 60 characters. This requires a small change in includes/functions_posting.php. Locate the following lines in this file.	</p>
		<p>
<!--
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>	$subject = truncate_string($subject);
	$data['topic_title'] = truncate_string($data['topic_title']);<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	Replace those lines with these altered versions. Remember to change the 120 on each of these lines if you are using a different length.	</p>
		<p>
<!--
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>	$subject = truncate_string($subject, 120);
	$data['topic_title'] = truncate_string($data['topic_title'], 120);<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	The third and final step is to edit the templates installed on your forum so that longer subject can be entered. As you may know, different templates tend to use very different coding.  We'll look at both prosilver and subsilver2, but in other styles the lines may be different. If you cannot find these exact lines, try looking for a line containing <span class="code">name="subject"</span> or <span class="code">name='subject'</span>.	</p>
		<p>
	First up is prosilver; look for this line in posting_editor.html.	</p>
		<p>
<!--
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>		<dd><input type="text" name="subject" id="subject" size="45"
maxlength="<!-- IF S_NEW_MESSAGE -->60<!-- ELSE -->64<!-- ENDIF -->"
tabindex="2" value="{SUBJECT}{DRAFT_SUBJECT}" class="inputbox autowidth" /></dd>
<!--
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	This is the matching line in subsilver2's posting_body.html.	</p>
		<p>
<!--
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>	<td class="row2" width="78%"><input class="post" style="width:450px"
type="text" name="subject" size="45" maxlength="<!-- IF S_NEW_MESSAGE -->60<!-- ELSE -->64<!-- ENDIF -->"
tabindex="2" value="{SUBJECT}" /></td>
<!--
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	In each file, check the line you've located to see if it contains the text <span class="code">maxlength</span>. If you find the line does not contain maxlength, you can skip this step. No edits are required here when there is no maxlength set. 	</p>
		<p>
	In the two default templates, you can see this:<br />
<span class="code">maxlength="<!-- IF S_NEW_MESSAGE -->60<!-- ELSE -->64<!-- ENDIF -->"</span>	</p>
		<p>
	Note the two numbers in there: 60 and 64. These numbers need to be changed to the length you are using for subjects. The number following S_NEW_MESSAGE (60, here), is changed to your desired length; 120 for the example. The second number is changed to that plus 4, or 124 for the example. Below is a sample of the prosilver line edited in this way.	</p>
		<p>
<!--
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>		<dd><input type="text" name="subject" id="subject" size="45"
maxlength="<!-- IF S_NEW_MESSAGE -->120<!-- ELSE -->124<!-- ENDIF -->"
tabindex="2" value="{SUBJECT}{DRAFT_SUBJECT}" class="inputbox autowidth" /></dd>
<!--
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	Now your posters can enter subject lines of greater length when making, editing, or replying to topics.	</p>

<h2 class="subhead">Allowing More Than 255 Characters</h2>

<p class="start">
	Above, I mentioned before that there is a 255 character limit when changing the allowed subject length with the method described. There is one way to exceed this length, but you must be careful when using it. This alternate method allows subjects that can potentially be much longer, even as long as a full post.	</p>
		<p>
	To use this method, you need to run a different set of SQL queries. A third query is included here for private message subjects, which was did not need to be changed with the other method. If you want to keep those at their default limit of 255 characters, skip that query. MySQL users can replace TEXT with TINYTEXT in these queries for shorter (but still very long) subject allowances.	</p>
		<p>
<!--
	SXBB[id].writeCmd();
//-->
</script>
<!--
		SXBB[id].writeDiv();
//-->
</script>ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts CHANGE post_subject post_subject TEXT NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE phpbb_topics CHANGE topic_title topic_title TEXT NOT NULL;
<!--
//-->
</script></pre>	</p>
		<p>
	Once you have run these queries, the second and third steps of the first method must also be carried out as described above. The number you use in place of 120 in those steps will be the maximum limit of subjects allowed from the posting form. You can use whatever number you wish.	</p>

</div>
		</td>
	</tr>
		<tr>
		<td class="bottomad">
google_ad_width = 120;
google_ad_height = 240;
google_ad_format = "120x240_as";
google_ad_channel = "";
//--></script>
</script>		</td>
	</tr>
			<tr>
		<td class="bottomad">
google_ad_width = 120;
google_ad_height = 600;
google_ad_format = "120x600_as";
//2006-11-02: Smith Tall ads
google_ad_channel = "8722445169";
//--></script>
</script>		</td>
	</tr>
		</table>

<div id="breadcrumb">
	<a href="/" title="Back to phpBB Smith">phpBB Smith</a>
			&mdash;> <a href="/support.html" title="Back to Support">Support</a>
		&mdash;> <a href="/support.html#customize-bb3" title="Back to Customize Your phpBB 3 Forum">Customize Your phpBB 3 Forum</a>
			&mdash;> Increase Subject Length	</div>

<div id="footer">
		&copy; 2002-2008 by <a href="/about.html" title="About phpBB Smith">phpBB Smith</a>
		(<a href="/copydetails.html" title="Further copyright information.">Disclaimers and Details</a>).
		&nbsp; &nbsp;
		<a href="/privacy.html">Privacy Policy.</a>
	</div>
</body>
</html>
damian0612

Post by damian0612 »

Thanks for your reply.

I installed this new mod http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1440325 and it has done the trick which now allows me 120 characters. But when I run this mod and it creates the topic, it still seems to limit the characters in the topic title and was wandering is it was just this mod doing it and if not at least I can rule out this being the problem. S I was wanting to know if there was something in this MOd which limits the characters also?

Thanks
Damian
DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Post by DragonMaster1 »

I have not installed the autoposting mod yet, I’m still investigating it

That code I posted allows up to 255 characters instead of 120, and I know it works as I do use that on my forum
kateland

Post by kateland »

FYI, might already be posted, but when I go to delete a topic posted from a feed, it WILL delete, however gives me this error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Out of range value adjusted for column 'forum_topics' at row 1 [1264]

SQL

UPDATE phpbb_forums SET forum_topics_real = forum_topics_real - 1, forum_posts = forum_posts - 1, forum_topics = forum_topics - 1, forum_last_post_id = 21290, forum_last_post_subject = 'Re: News Bot Forum', forum_last_post_time = 1235661027, forum_last_poster_id = 2, forum_last_poster_colour = '660000', forum_last_poster_name = 'keht' WHERE forum_id = 210

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 174
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions_posting.php
LINE: 1518
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: posting.php
LINE: 1440
CALL: delete_post()

FILE: posting.php
LINE: 278
CALL: handle_post_delete()
I'm sure it's related to the post count :)
here's your love letter
you bloodletter
you disappointed every time
alienbabeltech

Re: [DEV] lastRSS autoposting bot MOD (0.1.3)

Post by alienbabeltech »

wolf2009 wrote:
wolf2009 wrote:
Smix wrote:
btw. I´ve succesfully tested running this mod in cron.php ... I know it´s not the best way, but I didn´t have a better way ... So if anybody wants to try it ... Please try it and tell me how it works ...

Step one
: Remove edits from index.php ... (with ctrl + x)

Step two :

OPEN
cron.php
FIND

// Do not update users last page entry
$user->session_begin(false);
$auth->acl($user->data);
AFTER ADD (ctrl + v)

// lastrss autopost mod begin
include ($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/functions_lastrss_autopost.'.$phpEx);
// lastrss autopost mod end
Please test it and report how it works ... You can benefit from the fact that the mod is not initiated by users, but you´ll have to wait until the bot comes to your board ... (I´m checking how to add this into cron que, but I wasn´t succesfull yet) ...
seems a lot faster when you go back to the index page. with the index.php edit method, going back to index page always took like 2s or more than that.

will let you know if the bot is posting fine.
Bot seems to be not posting anything. Its been like 14 hrs since it posted anything.
someone help me here please
This is the best and most helpful community I have been on. You are some of the best people I have met. GOD Bless You ALL !
My Forum - http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/index.php
Smix

Post by Smix »

@ wolf2009

If you wan´t to test your APBot ... open cron.php ... it will post immediately ... Anyway thanks for testing, I see it´s not a way ... I´ve got still some bots on my board so APBot was still posting as you can see in the :arrow: demo forum :) ...

@ kateland
BIG thanks for report ;) ... Finally some backtrace info ... I´ll have a look at this ...

@ damian0612
Hello,
the subject is cutted in standard way as it is when normal topic is posted by any user and it´s limited as phpBB ... I was testing changing those limits and if you´ll browse the pages back, you´ll find it (but it´s long time so ... - I´ll make some time this weekend and read this topic from the very beginning and make a list of bugs which have been found and which have been fixed or none ...) ... and what was the problem with installation ? :shock: ... not purging cache? ... Anyway, if anybody find some bug, the first place I´m checking is the mod bugtracker ...

@therat
... strange behavior ... :? ... I don´t know what to try more ...
Last edited by Smix on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
alienbabeltech

Post by alienbabeltech »

Smix wrote:@ wolf2009

If you wan´t to test your APBot ... open cron.php ... it will post immediately ... Anyway thanks for testing, I see it´s not a way ... I´ve got still some bots on my board so APBot was still posting as you can see in the :arrow: demo forum :) ...
aah, thanks for telling me that. I can do that manually, no problem. At least it doesn't slow the board down like it does with index.php.

ANyways, if you need help with testing something else, I'll be more than happy to do so for this great MOD.
This is the best and most helpful community I have been on. You are some of the best people I have met. GOD Bless You ALL !
My Forum - http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/index.php
damian0612

Post by damian0612 »

Thanks smix, used the code you posted http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p7313635 and it works perfectly, many many thanks 8-)
kateland

Post by kateland »

[edit again!]

I have a fix for the approval issue and the topic syncing issue.

Try this and let me know:

OPEN includes/functions_lastrss_autopost.php

FIND (around line 190)

// this is not working, but let´s try it
'post_approved' => true,
REPLACE WITH

'rss_post_approved' => true,
FIND (around line 195)

autopost_approve($subject);
REPLACE WITH

//autopost_approve($subject);
OPEN includes/functions_posting.php

FIND (around 1621)

// Start the transaction here
	$db->sql_transaction('begin');
BEFORE, ADD

//Kate's approval tweak for lastRSS autobot
	if ($data['rss_post_approved'] == 1)
	{
		$post_approval = 1;
	}
It worked for me!
Last edited by kateland on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
here's your love letter
you bloodletter
kateland

Post by kateland »

Sorry to post again, didn't want to edit yet again - on a separate issue, is there any way to change the order that the topics are being posted in?

For example, the DB says the latest one is the 3rd one in the list. The latest topic should be at the top??

here's your love letter
you bloodletter
madmartyau
Name: Marty

Post by madmartyau »

It's only the initial posts that do that. I found the best way to configure the mod is to have it only do 1 post at a time. The setting for number of posts is only for the initial run anyway. Or alternatively go into each topic in reverse order of how you want it ordered and post a reply.
Call me Grumpy.
therat

Post by therat »

kateland wrote:[edit again!]

I have a fix for the approval issue and the topic syncing issue.

Try this and let me know:

OPEN includes/functions_lastrss_autopost.php

FIND (around line 190)

'post_approved' => true,
REPLACE WITH

'rss_post_approved' => true,
FIND (around line 195)

autopost_approve($subject);
REPLACE WITH

//autopost_approve($subject);
OPEN includes/functions_posting.php

FIND (around 1621)

// Start the transaction here
	$db->sql_transaction('begin');
BEFORE, ADD

//Kate's approval tweak for lastRSS autobot
	if ($data['rss_post_approved'] == 1)
	{
		$post_approval = 1;
	}
It worked for me!
Thanks, I'll try this over the weekend.
blitztrading

Post by blitztrading »

hi,

I have this RSS feed: http://www.graphseo.net/feed which is limited to ~200 characters when you check it, but when you open it in IE you have the full articles.

how is that possible? could it be possible to do the same with this mod (ie retrieve the entire articles ...)

Thx
PrattP

Post by PrattP »

Hi Smix,

Got this error after attempting to install ACP mod after installing the normal autoposting bot.
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Table '<my-forum-db-path>.phpbb_1lastrss_autopost' doesn't exist [1146]

SQL

SELECT * FROM phpbb_1lastrss_autopost WHERE next_check < "1236157349" AND enabled = "1"

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 174
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions_lastrss_autopost.php
LINE: 230
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: index.php
LINE: 45
CALL: include('includes/functions_lastrss_autopost.php')
Know what the problem is?

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”