[ABD] phpBB3 Forum AI

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Dogs and things

Re: [DEV] phpBB3 Forum AI

Post by Dogs and things »

That sounds sensible,

I guess you're also trying to control the response time?
It would be nice if Alice not only not responds to every post that's not a first post but also if she delays her responses with a variable time-frame. At least to me it seems like more natural if she doesn´t post her response as soon as submit is hit.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
nexties

Post by nexties »

Exactly! You understand. Right now there is only one setting: Full Blast!
That setting gets the most out of testing, which is beneficial, but obviously
there is just no way it can get released that way.
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

If I were using phpBB3 I would really like to have a controllable Alice on my board.

But for my board, apart from a Spanish version, I would also need a setting that allows me to control her on a per-forum basis. At least an on/off switch, and a very nice extra would be a control over her activity level as a whole but also on a per-forum basis.

There's not much sense in having a bot responding in for instance dog-behaviour
problem topics, nor in having a bot responding to anything, anywhere, always and straight-away.
Unless she is used on a board with none or very low human activity.
She would fit in very nicely in certain sub-forums, if she behaves, but not at full blast all over the place.

Although I'm sure she can be thought to answer to certain behaviour problem questions. or to questions related with the forum functions, let's say with the FAQ on a board. Standard questions that require standard answers.

Things like: "A have no idea how to install this stuff, what the heck is SQL?" could produce an answer like: "Hello, have a look at this Knowledge base article that explains how to install MODs".

But none of that will be easy to realize.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
nexties

Post by nexties »

OK. Thanks for your feedback, 'Dogs and things'.

There is a new development: The ability to recognize the current position in the thread. This ability can be verified by examining the subject line of the first post and comparing it to the subsequent subject lines in the reply posts. The good news is that it is no longer necessary to post twice in a row to get the robot's attention. Alice will answer your first post on a new topic, without malfunctioning and creating a duplicate new thread.
Anubis_The_Jackal

Post by Anubis_The_Jackal »

I have an idea, which may have been mentioned before, but would add some "Humanity" so to speak, to the customs of the bot.

Being able to tell it when it can be on, and when it can be off - such as 6am to 6pm, or whichever, based on two things.

System 1 would be based on the system's time (server time) adjusted for whatever GMT + or - is used. That way if I wanted ALICE to turn on at 6AM and start replying to posts, and then turn off at 8PM, it would do so. Additionally an option to respond to missed posts would be an idea (a backlog may have arisen after the sleep time - and could be answered on 'wake-up' with a 60 second interval in between each answer). This would sort of be like a regular forum member that will answer posts in threads they are involved in the next day.

System 2 would instead be based on the user's time. That way if the user wants ALICE to not respond after 6PM on their own time, ALICE would wait until the "ON" time to do so. I do not like this option as much, but I give all ideas I can think of.

One more thing would be an obvious issue you probably have already addressed - an opt-out which will tell ALICE to 'not respond' to any of the posts or topics made by a member, who has in their profile opted out of having ALICE interact with them
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

@nexties: are you using Program-E as the base? How is the database usage? I've discovered that an hour's chat with a bot can easily rack up one million or more queries. Of course that depends on the number of phrases/patterns loaded into its brain, of course.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
nexties

Post by nexties »

@Anubis_The_Jackal: Great ideas to apply to the pre-alpha functionality once it is stable. ALICE used to get lost sometimes, answering a post before she was asked, and making duplicate threads. Now this seems to have been resolved.

Some of these ideas may already be built into phpBB, such as friends and foes feature. So that built in phpBB functionality should be tried with ALICE as an ordinary phpBB forum member to see if it works now, or whether ALICE needs additional programming to ignore foes.

You have good ideas, no doubt, but this may reduce testing, which ALICE very much needs right now.

@Dog Cow:
Yes, full credit has always been given in the 8pla.net site logo for the open source. ALICE is Program E on phpBB 3. According to the current row count in the conversation log in the mysql database table, ALICE may have had as many as over 26,000 conversations at 8pla.net. These pre-alpha database usage estimates are subject to verification. Each conversation logged is the result of multiple queries. Perhaps a phpBB theme may increase database usage.
nexties

Post by nexties »

Thank you RaNGe.
KeithR
Former Team Member
Name: Keith R

Post by KeithR »

nexties wrote:Thank you RaNGe.
More spam I see :|
Anubis_The_Jackal

I thought of something interesting - although it would be hard to accomplish.

If you have read the Dune series prequels about the Butlarian Jihad, the computer mind Omnius had a sort of decentralized system of updates where its mind and information was synchronized between the worlds that it controlled.

Would it be possible to synchronize the main "brain" that is learning now across the boards - and trade updates between them? Or would that be too far out of its way?

Additionally could it be remotely "plugged in" as in a separate server runs ALICE, and it is just one "mind" across several boards (facilitating a faster learning potential.) Basically if you had 20 forums connected to one database for the "mind" being built, it would learn much faster. Then, updates could be distributed from that to the other independent forums.

It could be volunteer based - where forums that have a certain activity could join in and allow ALICE to interact.

Just random thoughts.
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V
nexties

Post by nexties »

The Bad Toad wrote:
nexties wrote:Thank you RaNGe.
More spam I see :|
@TheBadToad: Terminator. The Sarah Connor Chronicles is simply a Widget that is 100% free for anyone to embed in their website. It is not an advertisement, does not pay a single penny, so it is ordinary content :arrow: not spam. It is just a free way of showing support for this TV show about artificial intelligence which is up for cancellation, so fans are trying to save it. In short, 8pla.net contains no advertisements.

PROOF: Here is the code which you can get by clicking [GRAB IT] that clearly has NO ad tracking syntax:

Code: Select all

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/48ad0ca2f32283e9/49ee3cf25ca13bb6/49e00316d84b2c25/929a2184" id="W48ad0ca2f32283e949ee3cf25ca13bb6" width="300" height="500"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/48ad0ca2f32283e9/49ee3cf25ca13bb6/49e00316d84b2c25/929a2184" /><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>
@Anubis_The_Jackal: That sounds intriguing.

Anubis_The_Jackal asked, "Would it be possible to synchronize the main "brain" that is learning now across the boards - and trade updates between them? Or would that be too far out of its way?"

Yes it may be possible, some of the fundamentals have been shown to at least half-way work now, but there would be some challenges. For example, subject to verfication, it seems that embedding a flash swf file that connects two separate forums works only in read-only mode by default. Reading remote forum records and displaying them with embeddded flash swf file in real time works, but trying to write a new record to the remote forum from within the local forum using the embeddded flash swf file appears to be blocked. More work needs to be done to get this other half working. Then the Artificial Intelligence Brain could take control of two or more forums. Right now the single Artificial Intelligence Brain at 8pla.net has control over one phpBB forum and one account on a popular social networking site at the same time. It's a start.

NOTE: This discussion is highly preliminary, and may be proven wrong. It is intended to point out that it would be a challenge to do it and is also offered in discussion for entertainment purposes (which make no mistake, is truly an important factor) for your great idea, Anubis_The_Jackal, which by the way is called a: superbot
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

Plonk.

Next-tease, you are foolish and boring. Produce some code, or spam elsewhere. This has gone too far.

Moderators, take note please.
Muggins
lugsciath

Post by lugsciath »

Sorry,

it seams a kind of advertisement here, no further informations or release notes where made (and in sight). I really think that might be very well to have a look into a release, but there was nothing.

You wrote, that these mod arent designed for phpbb3 (see first post), so i don´t think it belongs to this place. Better it was moved from here to the modder discussion ;)

Greetings

Uwe
Anubis_The_Jackal

muggins wrote:Plonk.

Next-tease, you are foolish and boring. Produce some code, or spam elsewhere. This has gone too far.

Moderators, take note please.
lugsciath wrote:Sorry,

it seams a kind of advertisement here, no further informations or release notes where made (and in sight). I really think that might be very well to have a look into a release, but there was nothing.

You wrote, that these mod arent designed for phpbb3 (see first post), so i don´t think it belongs to this place. Better it was moved from here to the modder discussion ;)

Greetings

Uwe
The bot forum posts are from when it was running on phpBB2.
At this point this bot is not programmed yet to read or write to the phpBB3
forum.
Which means it was meant for phpbb - just not phpbb3. You're ganging up on a mod author because he's not finished?
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

He's been posting "progress reports" for a year with nothing behind it. I have been to 8pla.net quite a few times to help experiment with ALICE, and I notice no changes except that her database seems to be flushed often.

Every attempt to request code is met with an excuse that its 'too complicated' and unstable.

If that is the case, then the mod should be passed on to someone who isn't so shy about sharing.
Muggins

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”