[ABD] phpBB3 Forum AI

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Anubis_The_Jackal

Re: [DEV] phpBB3 Forum AI

Post by Anubis_The_Jackal »

muggins wrote:He's been posting "progress reports" for a year with nothing behind it. I have been to 8pla.net quite a few times to help experiment with ALICE, and I notice no changes except that her database seems to be flushed often.

Every attempt to request code is met with an excuse that its 'too complicated' and unstable.

If that is the case, then the mod should be passed on to someone who isn't so shy about sharing.
The cashmod has been in beta 1 since July 08 - and other mods have been in development longer without releases. This one is by far not the longest hanging-nail mod out there, and the fact there is a demo that is being worked on shows that it is at least active. Harassing a mod author is not going to get him to release code faster or give you code if he or she feels that it is not ready, or maybe the code is too messy.

If I was working on a complex mod and my code was not exactly pretty, or well done yet, there is no way I would release it. If it is true that this is just advertising for the site - then so be it. However I have seen mods for PHPBB2 take years to come out, and some of them were still in development when PHPBB3 finally was released.

The core of the code seems to be the phpbb2 forum AI mod, so if that's the case anyone could make their own based on that - or if they are exceptionally skilled they could implement more.

However no one has yet, so I am inclined to think that he has made far more progress on phpbb3 AI bots than anyone else.
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V
updown

Post by updown »

muggins wrote:If that is the case, then the mod should be passed on to someone who isn't so shy about sharing.
@muggins and others: Just do as I do - lay back, relax and smile - this topic is the greatest crap I've seen here ever on phpBB.com.

19 pages of pure nonsense so far. On every technical question some pseudo-philosophical answers are replied, never ever any details, never ever any insights, only blah blah blah constantly beating about the bush.

This is a troll-MOD - Do not feed it - Do not wait for it - Do not support it.

I love suprises, but I don't count on them. If it comes for downloading, OK, if not, who cares? From my technical point of view, such an Alice bot will consume way too many ressources for a practical use on live-boards. Altering Program E itself isn't as hard as nexties pretends. It's all about input (posting) and output (reply). The input can be defined (forumbased) easily, the special "knowledge" database for alice is also an add of 2 o 3 functions - not more. Such a Mod is instantly relatively easy to build, but who really wants it?

The IQ is strongly limited (you can train as much as you want, or do you know ANY intellectual Alice-Version out there on any site right now???) and the usage is very limited.

Nexties is playing with emotions and illusions from the very beginning, painting great visionary pictures how helpful and cool such a human-like intelligent bot like ALICE would be. The reality is: ALICE NEVER will be like this, and such a MOD will never be so useful like nexties pretends.

I repeat: This all has been crap, is crap, and will be crap!

Good night fellows - and don't forget to tune in to the next "nexties-soap" episode: "Sorry, I can't tell you any code right now, because Alice feels so alone and she first needs a male bot-partner and you have to test this on my site for the next months, so they can make little bot-children that also need to be tested first and if they grew up, I will develop a bot-family so you don't need any members any more since they can talk to themselves, would'n that be great?"
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

Point taken, sir. :mrgreen:
Muggins
lugsciath

Post by lugsciath »

Mhh,

Cashmod and other Beta and Alpha´s (and some Dev also) shows parts of code, ready coded scripts and whole mods. In this thread there´s nothing like this, i think the best Forum AI here is the movebutton to a discussionarea (with all respect for Author´s, most of them shows results or part of it ;) ).

As i say: It isnt a php3 mod (see describtion), it is more an advertisment for a open (and imho endless) project or board, which get some hits through it :) . It is not the right place for discussing AI and modifications on it -> imo it should be moved in the modder discussion area until a alphaversion (a --> phpBB3 <-- Version) exist. Moderator/Author please comment, excuse me if i say something bad or wrong.

Greetings

Uwe
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Hmmm...this has turned into a Troll/Flaming contest.

nexties: I am locking this and marking as abandoned. When you're ready to produce some code and not some philosophical excuse as to why you can't or that it's too complicated then PM a MOD Team Member so we can unlock.

Everyone else: MODs that are in DEV status often stay in that stage for a long time (I have one like that :oops: ). You all should just relax and wait when you see at least SOME sort of status update (i.e. screenshots, code snippets). Not everyone is working for free all day on requests that you make. Real life is way more important than any MOD or even phpBB ;)

*LOCKED*
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
DavidIQ

Re: [ABD] phpBB3 Forum AI

Post by DavidIQ »

Unlocking at MOD author's request. Please keep discussions in check and on topic (that goes to all that are participating in this topic). Thanks.
RaNGE<3

Re: [ABD] phpBB3 Forum AI

Post by RaNGE<3 »

So...how it is going ?

bump.
lugsciath

Post by lugsciath »

I think honestly this discussion over this mod (which might in a very early construction phase) could be closed once more here or better moved into the Modder discussion area. No more new information is given into the last days/hours by author after reopening, no codepieces, nothing. Why it will be keep oben?

Sadly: This mod looks more and more like a very useful, but hidden ghost ;) and i prefer for myself some more results and examples to know whats about...

BTW. A bot / Projekt named alice already exist, which simulates a AI (through output of triggered words and some parts of input ) and it is no problem to put it in a phpbb Board. The code is availabe under:

http://php.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite ... story.html

And if you want it to try out: test it. Question: Is this Project a part from this mod ? If it is, i´m wondring about the big secrets ;), if they are. Is there any comment about the mod out there :? ?

Just my 5 ct hard on topic and -> AI (german: KI). Sorry for my written english :)

Greetings

Uwe
lugsciath

Post by lugsciath »

Just Bump, too. Nothing happens.
nexties

Post by nexties »

Thanks very much DavidIQ for phpBB3 Forum AI back to [DEV] status.

@RaNGE<3: It is going well. The newest fundamental changes to the mod source code are all holding. Which means it is moving closer to a releasable format. It functions almost the same, though noticeably improved, but internally it is based on some BIG changes. It is almost an all new mod. Not only has the mod source code almost totally changed, but even the phpbb files being modded have changed. This explains why code snippets would have been a complete waste of time. It would have shown a lack of caring for consequences to release an R&D automatic posting machine that was programmed to fail. The forum AI mod was hardcoded for a robot to fail under stress, to find the weak points, of a robot joining the forum as a regular member. This way those weak points could be reinforced.

@lugsciath and others: This project is on the brink of being trashed on phpbb.com by DavidIQ.
This is said with extreme politeness and obedience: Rather than throw away all the forum AI research and development, if this project does get trashed at phpBB.com, then out of respect for phpbb.com, that decision will not be disputed again. What was learned here will simply be recoded so it can be ported to another popular Internet forum package written in the PHP programming language with a restriction from the author that the mod never be ported to phpbb. Clarification: This is absolutely not a threat nor declaration of any bad intentions. It simply observes with concern for the possible consequences of pushing a mod author to release an advanced mod before it is ready.

Updates to this thread will be less frequent. Work is continuing successfully. This project is fully active.

NEWS: Another phpBB version 3 forum AI is born:
http://petrochemical.gronerth.com/forum ... 0-t17.html
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

nexties wrote:What was learned here will simply be recoded so it can be ported to another popular Internet forum package written in the PHP programming language with a restriction from the author that the mod never be ported to phpbb.
I'm sorry but under the GPLv2 license, the license most forum software use or some derivative of it, you won't be able to make this restriction.

The real reason I let you know that I will trash this topic if it doesn't go anywhere is because you seem to be using it as a form of advertisement, as you seem to show in your last post, instead of as a means for you to receive feedback and release code regarding your MOD.

I suggest that you put this behind you and continue development to a point where you can actually release some Alpha or Beta version of it so you can quench the thirst of your obviously VERY interested "fans" ;)
nexties

Post by nexties »

DavidIQ wrote:
nexties wrote:What was learned here will simply be recoded so it can be ported to another popular Internet forum package written in the PHP programming language with a restriction from the author that the mod never be ported to phpbb.
I'm sorry but under the GPLv2 license, the license most forum software use or some derivative of it, you won't be able to make this restriction.

Its OK. That was said with good intentions, to cause no further hassle in the event of being trashed.

The real reason I let you know that I will trash this topic if it doesn't go anywhere is because you seem to be using it as a form of advertisement, as you seem to show in your last post, instead of as a means for you to receive feedback and release code regarding your MOD.

A form of advertisement that is not a form of commercial solicitation because there is no product nor service. It is strictly and only, an attempt to promote voluntary testing of their own free will. Work on code pieces for release will be attempted soon.

I suggest that you put this behind you and continue development to a point where you can actually release some Alpha or Beta version of it so you can quench the thirst of your obviously VERY interested "fans" ;)

Development continues daily. You have grateful "fans" too. One is replying to you right now.

Thanks for moderating!
lugsciath

Post by lugsciath »

At first: Nice comments, a lot of text, some warnings and a (importend) demonstration link. Last at end of posting. At first your introducing words:
if this project does get trashed at phpBB.com, then out of respect for phpbb.com, that decision will not be disputed again. ... Development continues daily
Any results, codesnippets or files that shows how this mod works? I´m already waiting for an answer to my question also. Is some of the used code similiar with the code from alice bot?
lugsciath wrote:Question: Is this Project a part from this mod ?
Just a new (importend) question about your demolink:
NEWS: Another phpBB version 3 forum AI is born:
http://petrochemical.gronerth.com/forum ... 0-t17.html
just take a look of the index of this "demo"board: