+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
AmigoJack

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by AmigoJack »

proSilver always had Image and Image since 3.0 already, but never made use of it.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

imkingdavid wrote:This is relevant in phpBB's own Area51, where the RFCs forum (which I guess is now Ticket DIscussion forum) has/had people that sometimes post to just say "+1", i.e. that they'd like to see a feature added, but they don't really have anything specific to add to the discussion. This would trigger an email notification for anyone subscribed to the topic, and they'd have to login and check the forum only to see that the post didn't add any discussion.

Adding a +1/like would allow them to give their support without triggering any emails or getting in the way and breaking up the flow of actual discussion as someone is reading the topic.
It will also help those topics to fizzle out into nothing though since there is no added exposure, unless liking a post also works to bump the topic.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
potku

Post by potku »

Since notifications now work in a different way, e-mails would not be a problem.

This would be a very, very nice feature in phpBB. :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
zag2me

Post by zag2me »

Did a simple "like this post" feature ever get implemented in phpbb?

I see its standard on a lot of other forum software now.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

zag2me wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 pm Did a simple "like this post" feature ever get implemented in phpbb?

I see its standard on a lot of other forum software now.
No of course not. Hence the existence of this idea and it not set to having been implemented. :wink:
Beau76

Post by Beau76 »

Would really like to see a simple like post option added to phpBB core considering it appears to be a standard feature for most other forums.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Beau76 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm ... considering it appears to be a standard feature for most other forums.
That by itself is not a good reason to add something in phpBB. Most countries in the world have relative food shortages. ;)
I'm neutral towards a like button, in certain situations it's serves a good purpose, in others it induces "competition" for the most likes.
If it were to be included in the core, then, I hope it comes with an on/off switch.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Beau76

Post by Beau76 »

Seriously, comon phpBB team. Make this part of the core that people can switch on or off.

It’s been 4 years and still waiting for the development extensions on offer to do this simple function that every other forum seems to have as standard. Ridiculous.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Beau76 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 pm It’s been 4 years and still waiting for the development extensions on offer to do this simple function that every other forum seems to have as standard. Ridiculous.
Either you're just trolling or haven't bothered searching as there have been a couple of actively developed extensions in existence for this, which have been mentioned in this very topic, for a few years now.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

It's just that the extensions appear and disappear. They stop being dispersed and do not work in new versions of phpbb. I have been using the Reputation system from Pico for years. It was a very good extension that could be permanently embedded into phpbb. Of course, people would also be happy with something much easier because the Reputation system was really extensive. Well, but there is nothing :(
I know, I know, it was not and it will not be. I know, there are no developers. I know, I know...
But this is just my opinion on the matter.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

That is just simply not true. Breaking changes are not being done to the core so constantly that extensions just stop working from one version to another. Most extensions can go an entire version line or even two (going from 3.1 to 3.2 that is) without a single change due to core changes. Are there some changes that can break extensions every now and then? Yes, that’s a possibility, but certainly not the norm.

I’d like to point out that this idea is part of the GSoC proposals so it might get some attention in the coming months.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:04 pm I’d like to point out that this idea is part of the GSoC proposals so it might get some attention in the coming months.
:)

The problem is that most of us here probably do not know how to write scripts so as to write something by themselves or adjust abandoned extensions. Yes, most of us just want to use phpbb as a tool for our own purpose. In addition, we want to have what is fashionable (eg +1) or modern. In addition, we want someone to control it and react when there are errors. That it would be safe and without fear :)
I know, it's very big requirements, but let's not kid yourself, that's what they are.
Great respect for the authors of phpbb and extensions. Thank You.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pmmost of us just want to
That pattern can be found in countless situations elsewhere:
  • I just want to drive the car and not care when it breaks
  • I just want to have fun and not care about accidents
  • I just want to get money and not actually give something in return
  • I just want to get homework done and not wrap my brain around it
  • I just want to have kids and not care about problems they may cause
  • I just want to have intercourse and not care about diseases
You always need to put effort into something if you want to have the desired outcome. Or you adapt your expectations/priorities.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm Or you adapt your expectations/priorities.
that is sometimes what you have to do.
therefore, extensions for things that maybe only a small percentage of the users would want instead of adding it to the core.

people seem to forget the basic thing about phpbb. From the beginning it was always designed to be a simple basic bulletin board script.

it was never designed to have all the bells and whistles that other programs have by default. hence the reason for the MODs and now extensions.
you get the basics needed for a bulletin board software and then add whatever you want to make it your own.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
nachtelb
Name: Bernhard

Post by nachtelb »

Could the phpBB-Team start a crowdfunding for this? I think we only need 24 hours after a massmail to all phpBB-members to get the needed money - no matter how high the costs are. I would pay 50 Euro directly and if necessary would double it.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”