Contact us page with spambot protection

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Ideas Bot
Registered User
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by Ideas Bot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

Right now contact us page do not use any spambot countermeasures which generates a lot of spam (not always fortunately)
Example - memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin


Would be nice to use the same spambot protection like on user registration form.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 68081
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by KevC » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am

There are at least 2 extensions that sort that out but yes it would be nice if it was standard.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

User avatar
vader696
Translator
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Krakow, Poland
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by vader696 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 am

KevC wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am
There are at least 2 extensions that sort that out but yes it would be nice if it was standard.
That is true. On my forum I use Contact Admin by mcgirr83. We have already built in proper mechanism, so we can use it instead of external extension.

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 20810
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am

According to the devs that is by design for if a user can't solve the CAPTCHA on registration, then they wouldn't be able to solve it on the contact page so then how would a user be able to contact the admin?
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by warmweer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am
According to the devs that is by design for if a user can't solve the CAPTCHA on registration, then they wouldn't be able to solve it on the contact page so then how would a user be able to contact the admin?
That's a valid point however I doubt I'm looking forward to having users incapable of solving the Captcha.
Also, the contact e-mailaddress can be put in a topic visible to guests (not as the literal address but something which is understandable, e.g. contactname hat provider point kom (or something like that + mentioning that the hat and the kom should be replaced by you know what).
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

User avatar
vader696
Translator
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Krakow, Poland
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by vader696 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am
According to the devs that is by design for if a user can't solve the CAPTCHA on registration, then they wouldn't be able to solve it on the contact page so then how would a user be able to contact the admin?
In this case we can use some checbox to disable/enable spambot protection on contact page.

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 20810
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:29 pm

vader696 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am
According to the devs that is by design for if a user can't solve the CAPTCHA on registration, then they wouldn't be able to solve it on the contact page so then how would a user be able to contact the admin?
In this case we can use some checbox to disable/enable spambot protection on contact page.
Then that would be a ticket request.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 64570
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm

vader696 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am
According to the devs that is by design for if a user can't solve the CAPTCHA on registration, then they wouldn't be able to solve it on the contact page so then how would a user be able to contact the admin?
In this case we can use some checbox to disable/enable spambot protection on contact page.
that would make the captcha completely pointless. the only reason to have a captcha is if you are trying to stop spammers.
if you have it on the contact page, then it possibly stops the user from being able to use the contact form.
so the contact form becomes useless for its purpose.

if this problem needs to be fixed in the code then it probably should be handled the same way that the extensions do it.
either with javascript or some other way to obscure the email address of the board so that the spam bots can not use it, not with a captcha that needs to be solved first.


robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

Drakath
Registered User
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by Drakath » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm
vader696 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am
According to the devs that is by design for if a user can't solve the CAPTCHA on registration, then they wouldn't be able to solve it on the contact page so then how would a user be able to contact the admin?
In this case we can use some checbox to disable/enable spambot protection on contact page.
that would make the captcha completely pointless. the only reason to have a captcha is if you are trying to stop spammers.
if you have it on the contact page, then it possibly stops the user from being able to use the contact form.
so the contact form becomes useless for its purpose.

if this problem needs to be fixed in the code then it probably should be handled the same way that the extensions do it.
either with javascript or some other way to obscure the email address of the board so that the spam bots can not use it, not with a captcha that needs to be solved first.


robert
What do mean pointless? If administrators care more about users not being able to solve the captcha then they will disable it. If not, they will enable it to stop the spammers. The contact us page isn't used solely for captcha problems, there are many reasons why someone would want to anonymously contact the administration without bothering to pm each admin or contact them without registering an account.

koraldon
Registered User
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by koraldon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm getting spam from the contact us form itself. The obscure extension is useless.
This should be great.
p.s. in 15 years of managing three boards with thousands of users each, I have never encountered someone unable to use the validation method... But I have always used Q&A type.

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 20810
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am

So then open a ticket request to have CAPTCHA added to default contact admin page or use my extension.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Drakath
Registered User
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by Drakath » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am
So then open a ticket request to have CAPTCHA added to default contact admin page or use my extension.
Your extension's spam countermeasure seems to be rather weak. I would love to see it with Google's reCaptcha or at least Q&A.
Edit: Also, it appears that the email is sent to all forum admins rather than to a defined support email address which is a very weird behavior for a contact form. How would you identify whether the email was already answered by another admin?

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 20810
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Drakath wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 am
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am
So then open a ticket request to have CAPTCHA added to default contact admin page or use my extension.
Your extension's spam countermeasure seems to be rather weak. I would love to see it with Google's reCaptcha or at least Q&A.
The spam counter measures used are the same one's used as for registration or as set in the ACP. It doesn't have it's own spam counter measures.

Also, it sends an email to admins just as the default contact page does or it allows to send a PM or to make a post to a forum as set by the admin.

You don't seem to know how the extension works so your statement's do nothing more than spread FUD.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

User avatar
AmigoJack
Registered User
Posts: 5238
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: グリーン ヒル ゾーン
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:04 am

koraldon wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm
in 15 years of managing three boards with thousands of users each, I have never encountered someone unable to use the validation method...
Have you also learnt that only a fraction of users ever report issues? Just because nobody mentions it doesn't mean it's working. Not to speak of that not being able to contact you naturally results in not being able to report an issue either.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

User avatar
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3374
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:35 pm
Name: William
Contact:

Re: Contact us page with spambot protection

Post by bonelifer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:13 pm

I'd be in favor of a switch to turn it on/off. If it's a totally new forum, default to on. If it's a version update, then default to off so as to not confuse the admin.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Image
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests