Rating:
In Progress
Ticket:
PHPBB3-9837
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: Posts waiting for approval should be visible to the authors

Post by JoshyPHP » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 am

I'm concerned by the creeping complexity of item visibility in SQL queries. Could it be better to display unapproved posts and topics on the same page but outside of the normal reading flow? For example, in viewforum.php you'd have another list of topics above announcements with a header such as "Your topics awaiting moderation". Same on viewtopic, you could have a list of posts at the top of the page that says "Your posts awaiting moderation." Maybe it could be expanded to moderators as well, in which case it would say "Topics awaiting moderation" and show all unapproved topics for current forum, or only the latest 5 or something like that.

Most of the time, you wouldn't even have to run a query to retrieve them if the topic/post counters show that there are no items awaiting moderation.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2.

v12mike

Re: Posts waiting for approval should be visible to the authors

Post by v12mike » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 pm

JoshyPHP wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 am
I'm concerned by the creeping complexity of item visibility in SQL queries.
I am not thrilled by the complexity of the query, but it does not seem to slow it down significantly, and it is not going to be more efficient to split it into 2 queries.
JoshyPHP wrote:
Could it be better to display unapproved posts and topics on the same page but outside of the normal reading flow? For example, in viewforum.php you'd have another list of topics above announcements with a header such as "Your topics awaiting moderation". Same on viewtopic, you could have a list of posts at the top of the page that says "Your posts awaiting moderation." Maybe it could be expanded to moderators as well, in which case it would say "Topics awaiting moderation" and show all unapproved topics for current forum, or only the latest 5 or something like that.
Having spent some time prototyping code to re-implement draft posts to be more useful and user-friendly, that is the structure that I (coincidentally) ended up with for that problem. It does also increase the complexity at the tail end of rendering the page. I have no strong preference for one layout or the other for this feature (but one is coded and tested, the other not).
JoshyPHP wrote:
Most of the time, you wouldn't even have to run a query to retrieve them if the topic/post counters show that there are no items awaiting moderation.
The topic/post counters are global, not per-user (nor per-topic-page), so are not of much practical use in determining whether there are unapproved posts to show to a particular user on a particular page. I am also not convinced that the the post counters are reliable enough for this purpose.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”