captcha in Contact Us form

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
fob-coby

captcha in Contact Us form

Post by fob-coby »

give the admins the possibility to have a captcha (like in the registration form) on the Contact Us or contact admin form

Some admin would like this very much because of increasing spam through the Contact Us button.
Some admin don't like this because their possible members can't cope with the captcha.
ssl
Name: Fred

Re: captcha in Contact Us form

Post by ssl »

Hi
With this extension it's possible to activate te captcha: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... act_admin/
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!
qcz

Post by qcz »

Welcome to the phpBB community

It says this on anywhere that there's a captcha
If you are visually impaired or otherwise can't complete this code then please contact the board administrator
And what if that person is visually impaired? They would need to contact the board administrator, which they couldn't do because they are just introduced with another captcha
My personal site: https://broadcastre.cc

When replying directly to me please quote me so I get notified. Thanks.

Broadcastre Computer Chat https://broadcastre.cc/forum (please consider joining)
Random American

Post by Random American »

fob-coby wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm
give the admins the possibility to have a captcha (like in the registration form) on the Contact Us or contact admin form
Respectfully, I got to downvote this. If the Captcha is broken, then people won't be able to contact the board administrators.
We need universal health care now!
Thank you to all who help fight the pandemic.
fob-coby

Post by fob-coby »

Random American wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:35 pm
Respectfully, I got to downvote this. If the Captcha is broken, then people won't be able to contact the board administrators.
That's why you leave that decision to the board admins. You could choose not to use it, other admins may choose to use it.
fob-coby

Post by fob-coby »

qcz wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 pm
It says this on anywhere that there's a captcha
If you are visually impaired or otherwise can't complete this code then please contact the board administrator
And what if that person is visually impaired? They would need to contact the board administrator, which they couldn't do because they are just introduced with another captcha
Not every board is the same. Ours is a board for a motorcycle club, so there won't be any visual impaired people. That's why I say leave it to the boards administrator, like with the registration form. The admins know their board and can choose the best protection.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Random American wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:35 pm
I'd say that's straying into a different territory entirely, though. What you're proposing is not a "captchas cannot be used to protect the phpBB Contact Us form" issue, but actually a "the captcha I am using does not support visual impairment" issue. If your captcha cannot support your users and "requires that it be skipped in order to support them", then anyone can bypass your captcha by claiming visual impairment.

The option to turn on a captcha should be there. We will continue using the extension to put it there, until it's finally recognized as a core capability that is needed in order to give an in-box solution to one more very common and highly-utilized method in which phpBB boards get spammed. Once the option is there in core, if you don't have a disabilities-capable captcha, indeed you might choose to turn that feature off, or never turn it on. Others will be using a higher-functioning captcha, and will leave it on or turn it on.

The claim of "if the captcha is not working, users won't be able to use Contact Us form" is true. And is something a board administrator will need to test; same as they need to make sure it's working and not denying people from using their registration and login pages without their knowledge, too. But that's hardly a reason to not have captchas at all. Stopping things that aren't people is exactly what captchas are for, and I don't want Contact Us traffic from things that aren't people.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

That's a no by my side. I remember that this topic has already been discussed to the point of exaggeration in the past and that the common agreement was that we did not want to implement this option for reasons considered consensually valid. If memory serves me right.
There are extensions for that to be used on purpose.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
qcz

Post by qcz »

3Di wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:12 am
I remember that this topic has already been discussed to the point of exaggeration
True this is actually a duplicate idea
My personal site: https://broadcastre.cc

When replying directly to me please quote me so I get notified. Thanks.

Broadcastre Computer Chat https://broadcastre.cc/forum (please consider joining)
fob-coby

Post by fob-coby »

qcz wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:01 am
3Di wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:12 am
I remember that this topic has already been discussed to the point of exaggeration
True this is actually a duplicate idea
That something is discussed in the past is not a very good argument. Circumstances can change, so perhaps the idea is not new, but the need is still there. If you leave the choice to use a captcha in the 'contact us' form with the board admin, everybody wins. You can choose to not use it and others, like myself, would choose to use it.
At the moment I have disabled the 'contact us' form, because of the daily spam abuse. So how can possible board members get in touch with the board admin now? Only by the contact form of our main WP websites contact form which has a chaptch. I think that is not a good option and would prefer to make my own choice.
HaioPaio

Post by HaioPaio »

I believe that the spam prevention via the contact form should be preferably done via an extension.
Our board uses "obscure contact us". It has reduced spam to zero while not adding any hurdles like captchas.
Any admin is free to decide if he seeks for an extension or stay with the core software.
As long as the core software is open for such measures, it does not bind admins.

Spam protection is a fast moving target and extensions can react faster than core changes.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Whether or not I believe the arguments against are weak (which I do), and regardless of whether previous requests have resulted in 36 for and 2 against (which they have), the real point is that phpBB supplies exactly this functionality (captcha plug-ins) for exactly this purpose (prevent abuse of phpBB pre-login pages), but is witholding it — or likely just never implemented it, once a Contact Us form option was introduced to phpBB instead of just the mailto: link.

It doesn't "take an extension" in order to get captcha support in phpBB. So the idea that it's "proper" for one huge door through which the exact abuse that captcha protects against should remain not even "optionally" covered by phpBB's already-existing core functionality just seems like arbitrary resistance, rather than logical or intuitive thought. Yeah, we get it... your captcha would be a problem if users couldn't bypass it during the Contact Admin form. But that's not everyone's captcha; nor the same decision everyone would make even if they had your captcha.

Not that we aren't very grateful to have an extension which can cover the omission in the mean time. And it's not that behavior will be inherently better by having core functionality; just inherently and intuitively available. It's "the argument against" which remains silly, and the absence of that option which remains illogical.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”