Update Standard Profile Fields

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Re: Update Standard Profile Fields

Post by Kamahl19 »

what are fields important for registration? Only username and email.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Password is kinda useful, as well. As are language and timezone.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 »

sure, but those are more like "settings" then user profile fields. you know what I mean.
Neuropass

Post by Neuropass »

Agree and JABBER should just be eliminated.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

+1 on the all fields should be made custom profile fields with some shipped as standard but each one editable/removable depending on the board.

Ones that have to be included would be:

Username
Password
Email

Signatures can already be turned on/off but interestingly the signature module in ucp isn't hidden when the board wide setting is set to no (bug or feature?)

Birthdays same thing, board wide setting so no real need to change/adjust.

Timezone and language are more board preferences and not related to profile fields in my eyes so no need to go anywhere near them.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

Actually I would prefer to kick out all the standard fields and improve the functionality of the custom fields.

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

If I have understood the problem, I think that this kind of "address book" implementation can be done with just 3 fields, of course editable by users and an "Add New" button and a "Delete" button.
In such way no admin actions will be needed for adding some kind of customized fields and there will be a perfect flexibility without the need to "foresee" the evolution of new internet services or something: each user can add a new service himself without the use of predefined fields for categories nor predefined lists of services. With this solution it will be possible to add an "infinite" number of new services for every user that can appear in user profile or every where it is needed or expected.

For example:
1 text field: the icon that can be optionally uploaded or updated by user by clicking on the icon preview. Well... I really don't know if an icon is needed for real...
1 text field: the name of the service that the user have to fill
1 text field: with address, nick name, or other content that the user have to fill (with a useful autolink function that transforms the content in a link if the field contains a link or keep the content unmodified if the field is filled with other content, like a simple nickname)

1 add button
1 delete button (at the side of each entry of course)

For a clear comprehension of my idea see the screenshots
Attachments
Contatti-per-servizi-aggiuntivi.png
Contatti-per-servizi-aggiuntivi.png (10.65 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

May be I'm doing something wrong: why posting in
https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/idea.php?id=22

viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2189656&p=13450326
Last edited by peopleopinion on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

+1
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

As long as we're updating profile fields we should let the admin, via the ACP, enable/disable/make mandatory each field and/or require a specific number of posts to fill out the fields to deter spam losers...
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Why exactly do we actually have to distinguish between custom profile fields and standard fields?

Wouldn't it be better if we have only customizable profile fields.
So everyone can chose which fields he want.

You would just have to add some option for a better display (maybe some kind of category or tabs)...
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:Why exactly do we actually have to distinguish between custom profile fields and standard fields?

Wouldn't it be better if we have only customizable profile fields.
So everyone can chose which fields he want.

You would just have to add some option for a better display (maybe some kind of category or tabs)...
Why do you want spammers to be able to choose the fields they want? They'll want a dozen spam links in a webpage field. Some idiot child will eventually create a "last time I had sex with your mother" field and set it to 5 minutes.

It's a BAD idea to let members choose their own custom fields, it'll cause too many problems...

All all fields should be controllable via the ACP and *only* an admin should be able to add a custom field.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
D@ve wrote: [...]
Why do you want spammers to be able to choose the fields they want? They'll want a dozen spam links in a webpage field. Some idiot child will eventually create a "last time I had sex with your mother" field and set it to 5 minutes.

It's a BAD idea to let members choose their own custom fields, it'll cause too many problems...
This can happen everywhere: in PM, in signature, in public posts subject or body, and in admin custom field too.

The solution? Rigid forum/website rules again those behaviors: if a subject goes wrong for heavy things like these, bann it or delete his account... solved the problem...
I think that every admin would to have perfect users for its website or forum... but it is not possible: spammers or mannerless or bad educated people are everywhere.
But this doesn't mean that if a think is ok for other people cannot be implemented cause mannerless people: for serious bad behaviors I usually ban or delete their account. End of game.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
D@ve wrote: [...]

This can happen everywhere: in PM, in signature, in public posts subject or body, and in admin custom field too.
PM's can be reported and we're not talking about PM abuse, we talking about profile field abuse.

Not if the admin doesn't create a custom "last time I had sex with your mother" field, not if the admin disables the website field and if the admin stops users from adding a signature until they have more posts he'll have a better idea if the user is going to follow rules already.

There is a MOD that allows admin control of profile fields and it *does* help.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Some idiot child will eventually create a "last time I had sex with your mother" field and set it to 5 minutes.
Who said, that the fields should be customizable by the user (that would completley nonsense)...

But why do we need fields for ICQ, Skype, AIM etc. this is old school already. And Skype Facebook & Co could will be old school faster as we think
We just need more sophisticated custom fields.

regards, Dave

Return to “phpBB Ideas”