+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Post Reply
User avatar
MohamedAG
Registered User
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 pm
Location: U.S.A.
Name: Moh Sal
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by MohamedAG » Mon May 26, 2014 10:16 pm

This is much better than writing a post (or ignoring the post) if you have no time to write.

This feature is one of the reasons social script (such as google+ and facebook) are becoming popular, a simple click could encourage a writer or contributer to give more ( even if it is for the sake of encouragement) :)

User avatar
AmigoJack
Registered User
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: グリーン ヒル ゾーン
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by AmigoJack » Mon May 26, 2014 11:36 pm

MohamedAG wrote:if you have no time to write
...then a bulletin board that lives thru posts isn't the right place anyway.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
...
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

User avatar
MohamedAG
Registered User
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 pm
Location: U.S.A.
Name: Moh Sal
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by MohamedAG » Tue May 27, 2014 1:20 am

AmigoJack wrote:
MohamedAG wrote:if you have no time to write
...then a bulletin board that lives thru posts isn't the right place anyway.
you see something you like on the board and press "Like" .... why must I create a new post to say "I Like It" or "Thanks" if I could just push a button.... and some times it's 20 or more topics (in busy forms) !!! and if you do that they might treat you as spammer for saying "thank you" "thank you" "thank you" so many time...... where it's not the case with just the like button. Image Image

In other cases posting a reply is a must and that's where the discussion is needed "thus creating a post". :)

User avatar
AmigoJack
Registered User
Posts: 5600
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: グリーン ヒル ゾーン
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by AmigoJack » Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 am

MohamedAG wrote:why must I create a new post to say "I Like It" or "Thanks" if I could just push a button....
I already answered that
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
...
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

User avatar
MohamedAG
Registered User
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 pm
Location: U.S.A.
Name: Moh Sal
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by MohamedAG » Wed May 28, 2014 7:58 pm

AmigoJack wrote:Problem with simplicity/concept is: you can't trace back when and why someone liked it. If posts change/move/vanish from a topic even more context is gone. Not to speak of activity on the board: people tend to click instead of replying with reasons why they like something (and why not).

Similar to ideas here: I don't know from each one why he would like it or not.
So .... If someone click the like button...... you would not know why he/she likes it.
:
But... If someone replied with "I Like It" or "Thanks" .... for some reason you could figure out why they like it or why they thanked the author !!!!!!

To me it's the same ..... and if you want to go the extra mile and express your feelings on why you like or why you thanked the author than you would have to post a reply.

One reason people MUST explain why they like a post (or thank) is because this feature is not available. If users go on every post they like and post "I Like It" or "Thanks" they will be treated as spammers. Therefor they are forced to 1-Do Noting 2-like and thank with a post that won't be considered a SPAM.

User avatar
peopleopinion
Registered User
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:46 pm

For devs:
Is there any news about this idea?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69226
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by KevC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:51 pm

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

User avatar
peopleopinion
Registered User
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks, but unfortunately it is just a mod or ext. Not into the core.
But it is a start, nevertheless I'd prefered a version with the possibility to vote + and -.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

User avatar
peopleopinion
Registered User
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:48 am

MohamedAG wrote:
AmigoJack wrote:Problem with simplicity/concept is: you can't trace back when and why someone liked it. If posts change/move/vanish from a topic even more context is gone. Not to speak of activity on the board: people tend to click instead of replying with reasons why they like something (and why not).

Similar to ideas here: I don't know from each one why he would like it or not.
So .... If someone click the like button...... you would not know why he/she likes it.
:
But... If someone replied with "I Like It" or "Thanks" .... for some reason you could figure out why they like it or why they thanked the author !!!!!!

To me it's the same ..... and if you want to go the extra mile and express your feelings on why you like or why you thanked the author than you would have to post a reply.

One reason people MUST explain why they like a post (or thank) is because this feature is not available. If users go on every post they like and post "I Like It" or "Thanks" they will be treated as spammers. Therefor they are forced to 1-Do Noting 2-like and thank with a post that won't be considered a SPAM.

IMHO, When a user decide to expresses a vote, psychologically is also stimulated to write a comment from the same starting action.
Then, my theory is that a voting feature if well built will be a stimulation for incrementing good posts and decrementing really unuseful posts like:
OK
Like
Don't like
+1
-1
Thanks
Etc.
that will be replaced by the expressed vote.

Also authors should have a brief ref of what readers think, that should be a good starting point to develop the topic or to make future decisions of what kind of topic open in the future or what don't.
Also, for readers in hurry should be a good thing because received votes will synthesize and show on-the-fly best post to read and find the best solution for their problem.
But to have a complete information, even if in synthesis, is needed to have the total positive and negative votes as well.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69226
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by KevC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:45 am

peopleopinion wrote:
Thanks, but unfortunately it is just a mod or ext. Not into the core.
But it is a start, nevertheless I'd prefered a version with the possibility to vote + and -.
I would think it's unlikely to be a core feature.
Extensions are simple to install, you upload a folder and you're done.
That adds the feature you want, hassle free and doesn't bloat out the core code with things that some people might not want.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

User avatar
peopleopinion
Registered User
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:30 am

KevC wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
Thanks, but unfortunately it is just a mod or ext. Not into the core.
But it is a start, nevertheless I'd prefered a version with the possibility to vote + and -.
I would think it's unlikely to be a core feature.
Extensions are simple to install, you upload a folder and you're done.
That adds the feature you want, hassle free and doesn't bloat out the core code with things that some people might not want.
In this moment there are really a lot of features that phpbb has but I don't want, but if there is the possibility to activate or deactivate with a click a certain feature I don't have any problem. The same is for this one.
The philosophy of ext bring them to be a problem in the moment the dev decide to not develop them anymore: every board that has such feature lose it at the first update that doesn't support it any more. Voting and feedbacking each post or topic became a std feature almost everywhere. Social users aspect it and frequently want it as other things, like a good external video support. If some basic and evolved features aren't present users even don't interact in no way just read and go. That's not good. Users that like only writing and reading are going to be every day less, voting and multimediality is the future and it is the core of democracy philosophy.
These are the motivations because websites as youtube, fb and similar have such success. And these are the motivations that makes BBs candidate to extinction or just limited to little niches if they don't update their possibilities offering more possibilities and services with the aim of keeping themselves competitive.

Anyway having an extension is better than nothing. At least for a while. :|
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69226
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by KevC » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:47 am

At some point you have to draw the line and say which things are built in and which are not.

The ones you've suggested in this topic are now available as extensions.

As the software is opensource, it's up to the community to continue that support if the author doesn't want to.
You can't add EVERYTHING to the core. For instance, all the things you've mentioned, and added more and more options to as the discussions have gone on, would make the software enormous and unworkable, so at some point you have to say, ok that will be better as an addon.

A lot of people don't like +1 and 'like' options because, after all, it's a discussion board. If everyone just ticked like all the time you wouldn't have any discussion. It's also dangerous to just go with whatever some social media site has deemed is the next big thing because in a few months or years it might not be any more. Just look at the things like ICQ numbers, yahoo messenger and AOL for example.

You can't have everything built in.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

User avatar
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Posts: 2667
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: EST
Name: David King

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by imkingdavid » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:08 pm

KevC wrote:A lot of people don't like +1 and 'like' options because, after all, it's a discussion board. If everyone just ticked like all the time you wouldn't have any discussion. It's also dangerous to just go with whatever some social media site has deemed is the next big thing because in a few months or years it might not be any more. Just look at the things like ICQ numbers, yahoo messenger and AOL for example.
Sure, having a 'like' or +1 might discourage actual discussion in some cases, but it does prevent people making posts solely for the purpose of saying something like "Thanks" or "I agree" or "Good post" or what have you, which allows for the posts containing actual discussion to be more prominent.

This is relevant in phpBB's own Area51, where the RFCs forum (which I guess is now Ticket DIscussion forum) has/had people that sometimes post to just say "+1", i.e. that they'd like to see a feature added, but they don't really have anything specific to add to the discussion. This would trigger an email notification for anyone subscribed to the topic, and they'd have to login and check the forum only to see that the post didn't add any discussion.

Adding a +1/like would allow them to give their support without triggering any emails or getting in the way and breaking up the flow of actual discussion as someone is reading the topic.

It also gives the topic starter (and other relevant parties) a rough measurement of how many people appreciate X idea vs having to wade through a topic to see what posts are in favor of whatever the topic is about and which aren't.

I realize that the use case am referring to is more of a topic-centric +1 system, rather than a post-centric one, i.e. the 'thanks' is given for the topic rather than individual posts. But it can still apply, arguably even more effectively, to post-centric contexts.

My post isn't an argument for adding this into the core, but rather just an explanation of how such a feature can be beneficial in a context that actually promotes relevant discussion and deters one-off agreement posts.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69226
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by KevC » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Yes I agree that's a valid function for it, and probably highlights why it would make most sense as an extension rather than a core feature.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

nachtelb
Registered User
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Germany
Name: Bernhard
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by nachtelb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:55 am

If the dev-Team dont like it as Core-Element, i wish it could be part of the "Extensions developed by Extensions-Development-Team".

Most forums try to build a community. The possibility to give a fast +1 feedback is a important psychological element. The author gets more positive feedback for good posts. More Feedback leads to more posts from authors writing quality-posts. ... leads to more readers ... more users ... :)

The critic about down-voting is not targeting this idea.

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”