+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Master_Cylinder

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

nachtelb wrote:I'am personally against the use of the dislike-option. A forum needs users posting content - dislike is very bad from the psychological view. But if there is enough request for it and there is the option to not use dislike but to use like - i have no problem with it.

btw

prosilver/theme/images/icon_rate_bad.gif
prosilver/theme/images/icon_rate_good.gif

Is this pure accident?
I don't feel like phpBB needs to protect overly sensitive members from getting their feelings hurt if they post something that deserves a negative rating. They should learn from it not cry about it. I also have no problem if a specific forum wants to turn off the negative option as long as it's available to those of us that do want it. In fact, with both options, members might be more careful to NOT post bad things because they know there might be negative vote. If a +1 option is in the core then -1 should be too. That's only fair.

Those rate icons have been there for a while too so I don't know what their story is but simple thumbs up/down seems pretty universal. I'd prefer "thumbs" to +1/-1 or like/dislike any day.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

I don't feel like phpBB needs to protect overly sensitive members from getting their feelings hurt
I think what nachtelb meant is not the problem of hurting people. Its the factor that people. Usually write posts if the dislike something. If someone agrees with an opinion he normaly doesn't say anything.

But disagreement stimulates discussion. But if you can "disagree" just by pushing a button, it could prevent people from participating in the discussion...

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:
I don't feel like phpBB needs to protect overly sensitive members from getting their feelings hurt
I think what nachtelb meant is not the problem of hurting people. Its the factor that people. Usually write posts if the dislike something. If someone agrees with an opinion he normaly doesn't say anything.

But disagreement stimulates discussion. But if you can "disagree" just by pushing a button, it could prevent people from participating in the discussion...

regards, Dave
No, he said "...dislike is very bad from the psychological view."
That's the worst argument you've tried so far. If you want to stimulate conversation then you shouldn't want +1/Like either because then people will just push a button instead of participating. Right? :lol:

Furthermore, thumbs down can stimulate conversation because people will want to know why.

Too funny... :D
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

As stated, add both (+ and -) and let admin decide via the ACP if they want to use both options (or neither) :idea:
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

keith10456 wrote:As stated, add both (+ and -) and let admin decide via the ACP if they want to use both options (or neither) :idea:
This one seems to me too the best possible option, because it gives at the admin the most hi possible elasticity in configuration.
To this I would like to add just one more thing just for the label of the options that users can click: make option labels editable by the admin, could be the crowning of this aspect.
In such way admins can decide if show or not the [+] and the [-] option just filling the related text field that will be the label option that users read and click.

The following attachment would be just an example. Of course it has to be optimized and adapted to style.
Attachments
Like-dislike-System.png
Like-dislike-System.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Like-dislike-System-One-option-alone.png
Like-dislike-System-One-option-alone.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Last edited by peopleopinion on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote: The following attachment would be just an example. Of course it has to be optimized and adapted to style.
How does one choose to use icons (like thumbs) instead of text with that solution?
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote: The following attachment would be just an example. Of course it has to be optimized and adapted to style.
How does one choose to use icons (like thumbs) instead of text with that solution?
Good idea: what about to add further two boxes to choose or upload the two icon files?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Master_Cylinder

I don't know how it would be done best, just as long as the options are there.

Perhaps it uses the default icons that exist and admins can overwrite them, perhaps using the path to icons instead of the text. There could be a dozen solutions.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I don't know how it would be done best, just as long as the options are there.

Perhaps it uses the default icons that exist and admins can overwrite them, perhaps using the path to icons instead of the text. There could be a dozen solutions.

Not bad I like the idea: having default icons and admin can delete or replace with their own ones if needed.
For example: if setted, system uses icons; if not, system uses custom labels; if no icons nor labels are setted, system hides the function to user.
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

make option labels editable by the admin
That would be in conflict with the language system...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:
Perhaps...but forum titles and board name are editable in the ACP and don't conflict with the language system.

As I said, I don't know the best way to actually make the features happen... *shrug*
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:
No problem. Possible solutions:
  1. Use icons instead text, as already proposed: icons are international;
  2. Add editable labels for each installed and usable language at the user will be shown the correct one conformed to the language chosen into the UCP.
Easy like drinking a glass of water ;)
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Good idea, but there also needs to be an "unlike" choice to be fair. I'm at one forum where you can't vote down and it's supremely annoying, because there are things that genuinely should be "unliked" / voted down, whatever you want to call it.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Swanny wrote:Good idea, but there also needs to be an "unlike" choice to be fair. I'm at one forum where you can't vote down and it's supremely annoying, because there are things that genuinely should be "unliked" / voted down, whatever you want to call it.
I completely agree with this.
johnnyburn

Post by johnnyburn »

If the like system existed, you could tell that Arty's first comment had a lot of support. I think that there is value in "gamifying" posts in this way. It works for Facebook because of human psychology: people like to feel validated, and will strive toward posts that get likes. But also, from the like-er side, it is way easier and cleaner to like someone's post than to clutter the board with a post that says, "I agree with Arty."

Return to “phpBB Ideas”