+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Jodi-86

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Jodi-86 »

nachtelb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pmCould the phpBB-Team start a crowdfunding for this? I think we only need 24 hours after a massmail to all phpBB-members to get the needed money - no matter how high the costs are. I would pay 50 Euro directly and if necessary would double it.
I might be wrong but i'd have thought it was getting time to do it along with all their other jobs and projects and day to day life etc rather than a money thing.

Out of interest, does anyone know of any cases of a forum implementing a like button - only to find the post count significantly drops because members just click like - rather than continuing the discussion?
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm
tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pmmost of us just want to
That pattern can be found in countless situations elsewhere:
  • I just want to ...
  • I just want to ...
  • I just want to ...
Yes AmigoJack. I want to, we want to, the users of my board want to. This is not my invention. People want to have on the forum what they have on FB and hence all the confusion and imitation. For some, it's hard to live without likes :)
Maybe crowdfunding is not bad idea?
The team writes the cost with each idea and waits for financing, then implements the idea.
Regards
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Jodi-86 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 pm ...
Out of interest, does anyone know of any cases of a forum implementing a like button - only to find the post count significantly drops because members just click like - rather than continuing the discussion?
No, I usually avoid forums with like or +1 buttons 8-)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Jodi-86 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 pmdoes anyone know of any cases of a forum implementing a like button - only to find the post count significantly drops because members just click like - rather than continuing the discussion?
Yes: most boards did have less posts when starting to have such a feature. I know one board which doesn't want "thanks" posts at all and insists on using the "like" feature. I know another board which never wants to implement this feature, because the owner in long terms experienced less posts on other boards thru this, and wants rather comments than soulless thanks.

All this applies to boards only having a "like" feature, not a "+1 or -1" feature (like here for ideas).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
nachtelb
Name: Bernhard

Post by nachtelb »

Perhaps it is important to say that there are forums in the wild that contain content in addition to discussion and not just discussion. Some things do not need to be discussed, but ratings are helpful. In addition, it does not always have to be negative when there are fewer soulless "LOL" contributions.
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 pmI want to, we want to, the users of my board want to
So this is reason enough to have it as integral part of the core code? Apply the logic of this justification for adding maybe hundreds or more lines of code (which, by the way, will put an extra load on those who will have to maintain it from then on) to all those other things some deem indespensable for their individual boards ... ;)
tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 pmPeople want to have on the forum what they have on FB and hence all the confusion and imitation.
Not "people" as this implies that all of them want it: "some people" would be a more realistic term.
[Sorry, it's hard for me to resist: Those who can't live with a board not having the look & Feel, all the "bells & Whistles" of FB will too often end up with the same kind of "communication" as on FB. Features that can be used will be used - and, more sooner than later, even misused.]

What is so fundamentally wrong with the idea of providing features like this one as extensions: for those who feel to have a corresponding demand, but only for those?
Or does my demand of having a fully functional BBS which is lean, fast and easily expandable with all the features I need weigh less?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Ibedejo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 am

Code: Select all

*a lot of good stuff*
What is so fundamentally wrong with the idea of providing features like this one as extensions: for those who feel to have a corresponding demand, but only for those?
Or does my demand of having a fully functional BBS which is lean, fast and easily expandable with all the features I need weigh less?
This post certainly deserves a like 8-)

edit: why is the of in the codebox red?
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

warmweer wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:44 pmcodebox
Because its content is considered code and of is in almost every language a keyword. Code is no quote and vice versa. :roll:
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

At the end.. comparison will only bring misery. There's no point in explaining it or going about it any further. Looking at those votes.. If: 1) core => default value = off/false 2) extension => default value = on/true.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Anyway back on topic, I'm voting NO as a core feature (nothing against it as an extension).

tojag

Post by tojag »

Google tools - search console:
"Does your site contain structured data like event listings or review ratings?
Then Google can present your data more attractively, and in new ways, in search results."

In my opinion, +1 is a way to have an opinion rating. This can also help with the page seo.
Back on topic..
Why in core? Because it gives a better chance that users will have available +1 in each subsequent version of phpbb.
Of course this may be an extension but official, supported by the phpbb team.
Regards
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

tojag wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:25 amThen Google can
Why not linking to websites? Instead of optimizing for one search engine only you might want to read on HTML Microdata, which already comes with a Rating element/scope. Can't be more simple.
tojag

Post by tojag »

Sorry, AmigoJack, I do not understand you. Maybe it's my English, maybe I'm a complete layman on technical issues, or maybe phpbb is not for me? I'm not a web programmer, I just want to use phpbb on my forum. Maybe my forum is not a big forum (about 650,000 posts and about 12,000 users) but users want many things including +1. It's not me who wants +1, a few thousand users of my forum want to +1. I think that those people who wrote here also do not want to +1 for themselves but for their communities.
Google wrote in Search Console that this is good for seo, why not believe it? I can not use Microcode in particular in phpbb :(
In any case, any rating of posts or users in phpbb is needed.
Best wishes :)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

tojag wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:27 pm In any case, any rating of posts or users in phpbb is needed.
Needed???
Nice to have for some, but on my forum(s) and on many others that I know, that feature is unwanted.

Wesus

Post by Wesus »

Any help giving board needs an upvote feature, mainly for two reasons:
  • Users can easily find the most helpful answers
  • Upvotes are a reward for posting efforts; some refuse to publish (their solution, help or workaround), if there's no reward

Return to “phpBB Ideas”