+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Arty wrote: There should be just one button: Like. After liking post it should change to Unlike, allowing to revert previous action.
Horrible idea, there should be both. Imagine if this Ideas section only had +1 without -1? It's mental masturbation. If the only initial choice is like, it's not anything I'd want on my boards and not in the core.
User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by callumacrae »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Horrible idea, there should be both. Imagine if this Ideas section only had +1 without -1? It's mental masturbation. If the only initial choice is like, it's not anything I'd want on my boards and not in the core.
Reddit and Ideas are the only two sites I go on which have a -1 option, everything else only has a Like button. For a forum, I think liking a post would be far superior - people have feelings.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

callumacrae wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Horrible idea, there should be both. Imagine if this Ideas section only had +1 without -1? It's mental masturbation. If the only initial choice is like, it's not anything I'd want on my boards and not in the core.
Reddit and Ideas are the only two sites I go on which have a -1 option, everything else only has a Like button. For a forum, I think liking a post would be far superior - people have feelings.
Youtube also allows up/down too and I've been to several *forums* (which is what we're talking about here) that have up AND down voting (karma/reputation/etc) and since when does phpBB have to protect the feelings of people by only allowing up voting? That's silly and sends a bad message. It's one of the bad things about facebook.

What if somebody posts something very rude or insensitive? Should the only option be +1 so you don't hurt their feelings? I think not and by doing so on sites like FB where they only allow "like" you fail to be honest and rob everyone of honest feedback in exchange for "feel good" feedback and artificially inflated egos. Sometimes people might not *like* being voted down but that's *fair* and more educational that coddling them by only allowing up votes. Life isn't "like" without the "dislike."

“There is only one sin. and that is theft... when you tell a lie, you steal someones right to the truth.” ― Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner
+1 without -1 is a lie...
User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by callumacrae »

Master_Cylinder wrote: *forums* (which is what we're talking about here)
You brought up Ideas, and reddit is a collection of forums.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

callumacrae wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote: *forums* (which is what we're talking about here)
You brought up Ideas, and reddit is a collection of forums.
Yes but you brought up other "sites" which may or may not be forums.

Regardless, +1 without -1 is a bad idea, imo. It'd be *far* better to include both, if it's going in the core, and let admins/owners decide which they want to enable, kind of like how the Reputation MOD works now.
User avatar
peopleopinion
Registered User
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by peopleopinion »

Personally I'd like to be present both options + and -.

If someone likes, votes +.
If someone doesn't votes -.

That's more logical. This infact is a big limitation of facebook that allows only likes.

To have both is much better than to have only Like or + option because having only like or + option gives only people that "like" something to have a voice... but what about people that doesn't like? Where is their voice? Is it censored?
Much better both voices.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
User avatar
D@ve
Registered User
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:49 am
Location: Germany, Bretzfeld D.C.
Name: Dave Remmel
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by D@ve »

Agree with arty. Just a Like (or Thankyou) button for every post with a list of "likers".
May be a Like-Count in the profile. But no complicated reputation system...

I don't want a dislike. Since the Majority is not always right. And for boards with sensitive topics like politics religion etc (like I have) a reputation system would end up in a Like-Dislike-fight of different fractions.

So I'd rather have just an simple option to gratitude a post. If you want a survey you could start a poll topic...

Facebook has no dislike and it's working fine. The secret here is simlpicity.

And maybe you don't need to call it "like" or "vote"... Just name it "thanks" (like vBulletin). If you give "thanks" to an author for a post, then there is no need for a "dis-thank"... ;-)

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

D@ve wrote:Agree with arty. Just a Like (or Thankyou) button for every post with a list of "likers".
May be a Like-Count in the profile. But no complicated reputation system...

I don't want a dislike. Since the Majority is not always right. And for boards with sensitive topics like politics religion etc (like I have) a reputation system would end up in a Like-Dislike-fight of different fractions.

So I'd rather have just an simple option to gratitude a post. If you want a survey you could start a poll topic...

Facebook has no dislike and it's working fine. The secret here is simlpicity.

And maybe you don't need to call it "like" or "vote"... Just name it "thanks" (like vBulletin). If you give "thanks" to an author for a post, then there is no need for a "dis-thank"... ;-)

regards, Dave
Even it's it's fair and more logical? Even if the admin could disable the dislike or both? It's doesn't have to be a full-blown reputation/karma system to have both options available but even if it was, many boards want both.

Facebook's "like" without "dislike" is one of the BAD things that I hate about FB so maybe it works for you but I wouldn't say that it's "working fine." I prefer something that represents more realistic options and calling it something else doesn't make it less lame. There should be both options.
User avatar
D@ve
Registered User
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:49 am
Location: Germany, Bretzfeld D.C.
Name: Dave Remmel
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by D@ve »

Even it's it's fair and more logical?
It IS fair, if you can just thank a persons post...
Even if the admin could disable the dislike or both?
Too complicated to programm. What if you have a like/dislike system and you switch the "dislike" off...
I prefer something that represents more realistic options
I don't... I rather keep it simple.

If I want to have the opinion for a certain issue I'll start a poll...

Even in a technical context that would be senseless... If someone writes: "I love my Apple and have problems with windows" he gets a lot of likes from Apple Fandboys and a lot of dislikes from Windows-Fanboy.

But if you help a user with a problem, you geht a "thanks" from him that is much more meaningfull than this whole like/dislike thing...

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Up voting (no matter what you call it) without allowing down voting is never fair.

No more complicated than adding up voting. Then only the up votes would display.

Up and down is very simple...

But you want the up vote opinion *without* the poll and it would be silly to create a "do you agree" poll for every post. Try again... :roll:

That's life. If he didn't want the attention he shouldn't post fanboy flamebait.

And if the user gives bad advice he could be voted down instead. THAT is fair.
User avatar
D@ve
Registered User
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:49 am
Location: Germany, Bretzfeld D.C.
Name: Dave Remmel
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by D@ve »

Up voting (no matter what you call it) without allowing down voting is never fair.
I call it "giving thanks" and not "upvoting". Like a present.

If I give someone a birthday present there is no need for others to give him a "dis-present".

its just a matter of perspective. :-)
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

D@ve wrote:
Up voting (no matter what you call it) without allowing down voting is never fair.
I call it "giving thanks" and not "upvoting". Like a present.

If I give someone a birthday present there is no need for others to give him a "dis-present".

its just a matter of perspective. :-)
I don't care what you call it; it's still up voting.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? 4, calling the tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln

You don't have to use the down vote on your forums but everyone that wants it should have it just as much as you want the up vote. There are plenty of good reasons to include both but no good reason, imho, to only include the positive in the core.
User avatar
D@ve
Registered User
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:49 am
Location: Germany, Bretzfeld D.C.
Name: Dave Remmel
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by D@ve »

but everyone that wants it should have it
If everyone gets what he wants, the next phpBB release will have a built-in online-shop, an auction-system, cloud-service, itunes-functionality and a Module that makes your laundry...

They'll probably will implement what the majority needs and what is doable without loosing the main focus (a bulletin board)...

regards, Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

D@ve wrote:
but everyone that wants it should have it
If everyone gets what he wants, the next phpBB release will have a built-in online-shop, an auction-system, cloud-service, itunes-functionality and a Module that makes your laundry...

They'll probably will implement what the majority needs and what is doable without loosing the main focus (a bulletin board)...

regards, Dave
I'm not talking about everyone getting *everything* they want, I'm talking about +1 and -1 only :roll:

They might not implement either part but if they add +1 to the core it should have -1 too otherwise it should just be an Extension.
nachtelb
Registered User
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Germany
Name: Bernhard
Contact:

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by nachtelb »

I'am personally against the use of the dislike-option. A forum needs users posting content - dislike is very bad from the psychological view. But if there is enough request for it and there is the option to not use dislike but to use like - i have no problem with it.

btw

prosilver/theme/images/icon_rate_bad.gif
prosilver/theme/images/icon_rate_good.gif

Is this pure accident?
Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”