Load more posts automaticly on bottom of topic

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Load more posts automaticly on bottom of topic

Post by Kamahl19 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Pages bellong to 2007, I suggest to load more and more posts while you are scrolling to bottom, so that users can read without stoping, finding the button and waiting for reload. Really nice implementation of this is in Discourse.org

----------

View idea at: Load more posts automaticly on bottom of topic

Posted by Kamahl19

Hardolaf
Google Summer of Code Student
Name: Joseph Warner

Re: Load more posts automaticly on bottom of topic

Post by Hardolaf » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 pm

This should be an option, default limit should at least be higher (25 maybe?).

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Whatever you make the default, some will want it to be more or less. That's why it's configurable.

Also, note that the number of posts per page setting, or mechanism, also applies to other pages, like the Merge topics page and other Moderator function pages.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm

How would you quickly get to a post you know to be on a particular page?

For instance, facebook uses this load scrolling feature and it's a real pain to quickly get to something you know you've seen somewhere.
If you have pages and you know it's around page 20 or so, it's easy to jump straight there.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:33 pm

I guess we would still keep the normal pagination, so one can either click there or scroll in the "inner frame where the posts are".
The Sorting options and stuff should be reachable and not scroll away.
No Support via PM

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:How would you quickly get to a post you know to be on a particular page?

For instance, facebook uses this load scrolling feature and it's a real pain to quickly get to something you know you've seen somewhere.
If you have pages and you know it's around page 20 or so, it's easy to jump straight there.
You would have to entirely get rid of the concept of pages - if you link to a post, it by default loads the three posts to either side of it, and scrolling up and down loads more posts in either direction.

So it isn't "loading the next page", it is "loading the next 10 posts".
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:42 pm

But I'm saying, what if you don't know the link to the post.

What if I know in a 40 page topic that someone posted something around page 20 that I wanted to have another look at. Currently I can go straight to page 20. I can't do that if I have to wait for groups of 25 posts to load in sequence. I'm not so sure it's as applicable to a forum format.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:But I'm saying, what if you don't know the link to the post.

What if I know in a 40 page topic that someone posted something around page 20 that I wanted to have another look at. Currently I can go straight to page 20. I can't do that if I have to wait for groups of 25 posts to load in sequence. I'm not so sure it's as applicable to a forum format.
Are there any cases where the search function couldn't be used?
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Yep.
If you're looking for an image, video or attachment.
Cheap UK Hosting

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm

IMO pages should still exist, the situation is that, when you reach the end of the page you can click to see more or have more posts displayed for you.

As you scroll, the url would update to adapt to the place where the user scrolls. If the page is reloaded, what the user gets is the start of the page where he was.
I hope I made myself clear and simple enough.

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:53 am

How would you quickly get to a post you know to be on a particular page?
How many times do you really use this? I am using BBs for almost 10 years and I have search post by pages only few times. There is Search implemented in viewtopic, so if you already know what you are looking for, you can use Search.
Ok, now I read you want to search for image so you cant use Search..
This ( http://meta.discourse.org/t/installing- ... ebian/2349 ) is discussion with 100 posts = 10 pages. How long does it load all 100 posts for you? Just a few seconds. So is it hard to find an image there? It takes only few seconds to scroll the whole topic down and find it. Much easier then remembering that the picture is somewhere about 20th page and searching pages 18,19,20,21,22 and waiting for reload of the whole page.
I guess we would still keep the normal pagination, so one can either click there or scroll in the "inner frame where the posts are".
Well, this is also a way but.. why do you want to stick with pages? What is really their advantage?
if you link to a post, it by default loads the three posts to either side of it, and scrolling up and down loads more posts in either direction.
Good idea. This is also implemented in Discourse - http://meta.discourse.org/t/installing- ... an/2349/25

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:18 am

Kamahl19 wrote:How many times do you really use this? I am using BBs for almost 10 years and I have search post by pages only few times.
As with a lot of MODs, some people use them all the time, some people don't use them at all. For instance, yesterday you posted an idea about stopping you from leaving a page before you've posted the content. You said you do that all the time. I don't think I've ever done it. Horses for courses as they say :)

I look for post content a lot. For instance, I use it on here a lot when I know I've seen a fix for something or an issue similar to one I've seen before. I'm quite good at remembering roughly where it was and then it's a case of narrowing that down.

Also I read a lot of sites that have youtube or image topics and I sometimes get reminded of a particular image or clip that I then want to post somewhere else and so I have to find it again.
Cheap UK Hosting

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't see the point in this. I prefer pages.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Jessica wrote:I don't see the point in this. I prefer pages.
As far as I know, this Ajax pagination is not meant to be mandatory. It's just an enhancement for who wants to use it.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 pm

This system is a board, not a soup/blog. Scrolling will not only impact server's performance, but it will also bypass cache mechanisms: if you re-visit the 4th page of a topic your browser has still cached it all, but re-visiting your scrolled-to position most probably won't even work in most browsers, as they'll only re-show the initial topic display.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”