Reply while reading

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Post Reply
User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Slovakia
Name: Martin
Contact:

Reply while reading

Post by Kamahl19 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:33 pm

I suggest to rework quick reply. It should be possible to open it not only on the bottom of the topic but everywhere in topic. Text form to write reply should be attached to the bottom of your screen so you can write while scrolling the page and reading. This is extremly usefull when replying to more posts or quoting more posts

----------

View idea at: Reply while reading

Posted by Kamahl19

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Reply while reading

Post by keith10456 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 pm

This would have to be done very cleverly or the topics could look very confusing (as opposed to neat and clean).

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Reply while reading

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:19 pm

keith10456 wrote:This would have to be done very cleverly or the topics could look very confusing (as opposed to neat and clean).
The way I've seen it done in past would be to open an editor when the user clicks "Quote"
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Reply while reading

Post by keith10456 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm

callumacrae wrote:
keith10456 wrote:This would have to be done very cleverly or the topics could look very confusing (as opposed to neat and clean).
The way I've seen it done in past would be to open an editor when the user clicks "Quote"
That makes sense.

So I'm assuming ajax would be used. Then shouldn't be done for Replies in general? Therefor, not needing the "Reply while reading" feature. Or maybe I'm just over thinking this.

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Reply while reading

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:12 pm

keith10456 wrote:
callumacrae wrote:
keith10456 wrote:This would have to be done very cleverly or the topics could look very confusing (as opposed to neat and clean).
The way I've seen it done in past would be to open an editor when the user clicks "Quote"
That makes sense.

So I'm assuming ajax would be used. Then shouldn't be done for Replies in general? Therefor, not needing the "Reply while reading" feature. Or maybe I'm just over thinking this.
Not necessarily; AJAX could be used to get the source of the post, but it could just be sent in a data attribute of each post.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

User avatar
Arty
Former Team Member
Posts: 16654
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:36 pm
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin
Contact:

Re: Reply while reading

Post by Arty » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm

I love this idea. Probably the first idea posted here so far that is really new and cool :)

It would be tricky to implement. Maybe show "Quote in Quick Reply" button when moving mouse over post, clicking it will add floating bar at bottom of screen that toggles quick reply?
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Slovakia
Name: Martin
Contact:

Re: Reply while reading

Post by Kamahl19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:21 am

But not only for quoting. This is also useful for reply without quotes, but answering or writing about above posts.

brunoais
QA Team
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

Re: Reply while reading

Post by brunoais » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 am

callumacrae wrote:
keith10456 wrote:
That makes sense.

So I'm assuming ajax would be used. Then shouldn't be done for Replies in general? Therefor, not needing the "Reply while reading" feature. Or maybe I'm just over thinking this.
Not necessarily; AJAX could be used to get the source of the post, but it could just be sent in a data attribute of each post.
If you would use data attributes, you'd need a character to replace the newline character. Not exactly a good idea. Personally, I'd use a javascript array or object with all the posts. A simple php array passed through json_parse() is enough (I have already done something similar but for a very different purpose). I'd write it in the HTML in a place where it makes sense (maybe before all posts) inside <script> tags.

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”