Automatically merge double posts

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Re: Automatically merge double posts

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I know you don't understand.

Merging multiple posts, just because they're in a row, is not a good idea. There may be cases where merging is appropriate but there are also cases where it is not. That's why it shouldn't be automatic and that's why it should be an extension instead. I *would* support a moderator option, in the core, to manually merge posts but not an automatic one.

I posted a recipe example in the *other* double post thread.

This could be an interesting idea too.
For example something like the following?
It would be ok for me too... better than nothing...
Attachments
WhyMergingPosts2.png
WhyMergingPosts2.png (6.85 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I was thinking more like the current quick-mod tools drop down menu that we already have but if it's an extension you can have it anyway you want.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I was thinking more like the current quick-mod tools drop down menu that we already have but if it's an extension you can have it anyway you want.
I don't know... which one is the most ergonomic one and the most immediate to use by a staff member?
With which one a staff member has to do less clicks to achieve the aim?
With my solution one click could potentially be enough... the drop down menu can do better?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I was thinking more like the current quick-mod tools drop down menu that we already have but if it's an extension you can have it anyway you want.
I don't know... which one is the most ergonomic one and the most immediate to use by a staff member?
With which one a staff member has to do less clicks to achieve the aim?
With my solution one click could potentially be enough... the drop down menu can do better?
Which one abides by the current standards and would be the logical place to look, since moderators are already used to the quick-mod tools? Which one doesn't require javascript? Which one works if javascript is disabled or unsupported by a specific browser or device?

Again...extension. :roll:
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Which one abides by the current standards and would be the logical place to look, since moderators are already used to the quick-mod tools? Which one doesn't require javascript? Which one works if javascript is disabled or unsupported by a specific browser or device?
Again...extension. :roll:
Well it is question of point of view: imho the most logical and immediate place to look is between the two (or more) posts that need to be merged. But it really doesn't matter if the feature has a voice into the moderator menu to be accessed and used. It could be ok too.
But imho my solution is faster than the menu. With the menu the staff member that want to merge two posts into one have to:
Scroll the page to go to the menu
Click onto the menu
Then click to the voice of the menu
Click to the button to confirm the choice made into the menu
Wait the new page to load
Choice from the list the posts to merge into one by clicking onto two or more checkboxes
Scroll the page till the button to confirm
Click on the button to confirm the operation
Wait the confirmation page to load
Click on yes to confirm the operation.

I hope that I have not forgotten any step.

With my solution:
Click the merge button and (eventually) confirm the operation.

For javascript is not a problem neither: if exists (and I'm sure exists) the way to make work "Save draft" "Preview" "Submit" and every other buttons on the whole forum I'm pretty sure that could be found the way to make work a merge button or a voice into a menu.
But, anyway, a staff computer with javascript disabled while administrating or moderating their own web site... well this is another mystery for me... but maybe...
Master_Cylinder

There only needs to be one, default, way (in the core) and that way should work without javascript. Additional solutions should be extensions.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:There only needs to be one, default, way (in the core) and that way should work without javascript. Additional solutions should be extensions.
No objection to this.

At this time I see into the moderator menu the item to merge topics but not for posts. Into your board version do you see it? Maybe we have different versions.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:There only needs to be one, default, way (in the core) and that way should work without javascript. Additional solutions should be extensions.
No objection to this.

At this time I see into the moderator menu the item to merge topics but not for posts. Into your board version do you see it? Maybe we have different versions.
No, it's not there yet, which is why I said that I support adding a manual merge posts tool in the quick-mod tool dropdown...but not an automatic one like this suggestion.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
No objection to this.

No, it's not there yet, which is why I said that I support adding a manual merge posts tool in the quick-mod tool dropdown...but not an automatic one like this suggestion.
Arguing around the original idea, are emerged some variantes. The important is to solve the problem in the best possible way. Hoping that the eventually implemented one will be the faster one for staff and moderators.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
No objection to this.

Arguing around the original idea, are emerged some variantes. The important is to solve the problem in the best possible way. Hoping that the eventually implemented one will be the faster one for staff and moderators.
If you want it *now,* make a MOD request in the right forum. Otherwise, THIS auto-merge idea is a bad one and *maybe* they'll add a manual tool in 3.1 or 3.2 later.

Done?
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
No objection to this.

If you want it *now,* make a MOD request in the right forum. Otherwise, THIS auto-merge idea is a bad one and *maybe* they'll add a manual tool in 3.1 or 3.2 later.

Done?
MC,
For the faster one I didn't mean that I want it *now* ...
Master_Cylinder

I'm sure the easiest one will be to add it to quick-mod tools but that's not what this idea is about...
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Here you go: Quick-mod tool to merge posts
Thanks for your suggestion. I take note of it, but as I said elsewhere I'm not interested to external mods or external extentions because of a series of related problems I had already explicated. I'm here to argue about new standard features to improve phpbb core.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:Here you go: Quick-mod tool to merge posts
Thanks for your suggestion. I take note of it, but as I said elsewhere I'm not interested to external mods or external extentions because of a series of related problems I had already explicated. I'm here to argue about new standard features to improve phpbb core.
It's already been explained to you, several times, that just because you think it might be abandoned someday is not a reason to put everything that you want on your forum in the core and there are more problems merging posts than allowing them. :roll:

Return to “phpBB Ideas”