WYSIWYG editor

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Ideas Bot

WYSIWYG editor

Post by Ideas Bot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 am

Hi

we are in 2013 and many systems used a WYSIWYG editor like Ckeditor in vbulletin or tinymce in wordpress and...

the best WYSIWYG editors are Ckeditor and Tinymce both of them released the Version 4.

i think phpBB need a professional WYSIWYG editor too.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Volksdevil » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 pm

I HATE those things with a passion! They never do what I want them to do, and I'm the kind of person who is always posting lots and lots of images/links etc. I literally would not use my own forum if it had WYSIWYG editors. All the silly buttons don't mean anything, I always have to hover over them to see which one I need.

Standard setup is clean, easy, simple and does the job perfectly.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm

See this RFC for complete discussion:
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=35703

It has been decided by me and accepted almost unanimously that the best option is SCE which I've been following and using in a greasemonkey script for some months now.
This is going to be implemented by me and phpBB will have a WYSIWYG editor but we don't go with less than the most appropriate for the job.
Ideas Bot wrote:we are in 2013 and many systems used a WYSIWYG editor like Ckeditor in vbulletin or tinymce in wordpress and...
CKE is ok... But I hate, simply hate that the buttons stop working when I go to the source mode. Also, the BBCode plugin is meh.
tinyMCE is about the same problems.
SCE was made just the right way. The buttons still work when in source code mode and the BBCode plugin works great and offers a good interface to work with.

@Volksdevil Try SCE first ;). It is not the perfect. in WYSIWYG it is almost as good as CKE and in source code mode it is way better than CKE (just by the buttons working gives it loads of points). Then tell again if you still think that the current editor is a better option than that WYSIWYG editor.

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Should be a nice feature for user, who are not so adepted to using code such as bbcode, html and stuff.

And i know, the missing of these WYSIWYG editor keeps many board-admin from using phpbb. Instead they use wbb, vbb and such boardsoftwares. Because their expected target audience is not so used in using code for text.

The most people are using word, instead of TeX. Guess why? ;)

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

brunoais wrote: @Volksdevil Try SCE first ;). It is not the perfect. in WYSIWYG it is almost as good as CKE and in source code mode it is way better than CKE (just by the buttons working gives it loads of points). Then tell again if you still think that the current editor is a better option than that WYSIWYG editor.
Nope, don't like it!
For me to insert a link there I have to look hard to find which of the silly buttons to press...same goes for inserting an image. If that's implemented I won't be updating/using it.

On a forum I've just setup, all I've done is alter the bbcode buttons to show as:
[Image] and [Link] instead of [URL] and [IMG]

Perfect, can't get any easier than that.

You have to look at these things through the eyes of new forum users, people who are not used to having any options at all when they are used to facebook etc. Suddenly on a forum (As phpbb currently is) they find them selves with lots of things to press, and wysiwyg and SCE just make things even harder for them imo.

Edit: Oh, and of course, I've modded so that a box pops up for the image and link URL's. :)

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 pm

@Volksdevil
You can make it such that they only have 2 buttons with that same text and no images by doing a simple change to the CSS.
I can add options so that you can easily get that same kind of "feel" with the buttons in SCE without removing all possibilities it gives to the users who want to use 'em.

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Volksdevil
maybe u and your forum users dont like use a WYSIWYG editor but me and many users like use this.
it is not a good reason for me.

maybe WYSIWYG is not important for a admin but users like use it and every one know this tools is a friendly user.

if you dont like this u can switch off this tools from acp or ucp.

brunoais
look this pic:
http://www.php-bb.ir/pic/images/9777699 ... 355215.png

it is tinymce 4.0.1 editor and this is my new work.
it is worked perfectly with new bbcode. it just enough add a new bbcode from acp then automatically add a button in editor. all features of this editor worked completely :D

Meis2M
Translator

Post by Meis2M » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

ckeditor in vbulletin work perfect and button work when u go in source mode its just need some change code or write new codes for do like cke in vb.

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:02 am

I think it's better to leave it out of core and make an extension, nothing more.

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:45 am

Jessica wrote:I think it's better to leave it out of core and make an extension, nothing more.

I second that

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:04 am

brunoais wrote:@Volksdevil
You can make it such that they only have 2 buttons with that same text and no images by doing a simple change to the CSS.
I can add options so that you can easily get that same kind of "feel" with the buttons in SCE without removing all possibilities it gives to the users who want to use 'em.
That sounds better...Regards usability I've had Issues where you want to move an image up or down and it ends up with the formatting all over the place. I used to frequent a Vw Corrado forum and ever since they started with wysiwyg I just can't use the place anymore! So as long as they format correctly...
EDIT: Case in point. I just had a go, inserted a youtube video and then decided I wanted to type some text above it. Hard work...
Meis2M wrote:Volksdevil
maybe u and your forum users dont like use a WYSIWYG editor but me and many users like use this.
it is not a good reason for me.
My point exactly, everybody has their own opinion and this is mine. Your reasons for wanting one are?...Probably not good to me either. :roll: and the voting is hardly conclusive.

From a usability point of view, I imagine my Dad for example who has just started with forums. He would not have a clue how to use the wysiwyg editor linked to above. Even I look at it and I literally don't know what half of the many buttons do :?

See image...Even with current setup surrounded by post title and smilies it still looks a hell of a lot simpler, easier, more user friendly imo. I look at wysiwyg and I just see a mass of buttons
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/ ... YSIWYG.jpg

Can you tell that I dislike them? :D :lol:

nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am

brunoais - currently unable to post - asked me to post the following:
brunoais wrote:
Volksdevil wrote: EDIT: Case in point. I just had a go, inserted a youtube video and then decided I wanted to type some text above it. Hard work...
Yeah, I know how it is. That's also why there's a source code mode. Anyway SCE is getting better at that, same as the browsers because different browsers have that kind of functionality a bit different between each other.

@Meis2M
Show me a working example please. I already went to that forum that has that image, registered (lost a whole lot of time) to see that I can't find the editor anywhere.
No Support via PM

Meis2M
Translator

Post by Meis2M » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

@nickvergessen

http://mobile4persian.com/phpbb/posting ... e=post&f=2

user:
test

pass:

:D

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:50 pm

@Meis2M
It won't do.
If the buttons do not work while viewing the source BBCode, then it's a no go.
If it does not show BBCode for the user to edit, it's a no go.
[quote] does not work *1.

Code: Select all

does not work*1.
[wiki] does not work*1.
[b] works but you can't see the corresponding BBCode.
Source code mode does not work *2.

*1: I'm in the WYSIWYG mode and I see BBCode. WTF?!?!
*2: If I write BBCode in the source code mode, even if it's BBCode I expect is to accept like the [ b] tag and the [ i] tag, it does not recognize.

That WYSIWYG editor for BBCode is useless for the needs of phpBB. At least, that's also why we just threw away tinyMCE.

Anyway, I will work in such that what I produce is something that allows almost plug 'n' play of different editors where there's only the need to write the "driver" to make the proper adaptations for the different editors.

MichanForo

Post by MichanForo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Your editor is fu***ing awesome! I would use it :D
I've seen lots of WYSIWYG editors that are crap, but this one is perfect!

Return to “phpBB Ideas”