WYSIWYG editor

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
brunoais
QA Team
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by brunoais » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm

MichanForo wrote:
Your editor is fu***ing awesome! I would use it :D
I've seen lots of WYSIWYG editors that are crap, but this one is perfect!
You serious?

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by keith10456 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes, only if it is an option to enable/disable via the ACP and if compatible with current bbcodes.

brunoais
QA Team
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by brunoais » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 pm

keith10456 wrote:Yes, only if it is an option to enable/disable via the ACP
What would the disabling give? What exists at the moment?
keith10456 wrote:if compatible with current bbcodes.
The objective is to make it compatible with any single BBCode that an admin can come with.

User avatar
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Posts: 7022
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 am
Location: cheerleading practice
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by tbackoff » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Actually, that one's not much better either. If you try typing a message the cursor is placed at the beginning of the post even though characters are inserted elsewhere. Sorry, it's crap.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

User avatar
Meis2M
Translator
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 am
Location: IR.Damghan
Name: میثم نوبری
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Meis2M » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 pm

my editor is still in dev and not complete.

this systems is open source and u can change every thing.

button is not active in ckeditor by default
for example when you go in source code in ckeditor the button will not active but u can active this with a special code:
look this topic:
http://ckeditor.com/forums/CKEditor-3.x ... Sourcecode

my editor is tinymce and it has some small bugs that u can fix this.

if u work on any thing u can build any thing. with small stones u can build a big tower.

default of most editor can not help u. ckeditor by default can not use in phpBB but if you customize it it will be perfect u can see the customize ckeditor in vbulletin i said before one bug in cke how can fix it. ;)
phpBB persian international support
Ultimate SEO Friendly URL - Extension
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM

brunoais
QA Team
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by brunoais » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 am

@Meis2M
CKE seem to be the best editor because it is the one that is most feature rich and has loads of stuff related to WYSIWYG solved or worked on. The problem is that the BBCode plugin, by the time it was tested, it was bad, it was only partly translating the BBCode and the HTML and there was no documentation.
I've been searching now for more than 30 mins for that documentation for CKE and I was completely unable to find it.
I have this: http://ckeditor.com/addon/bbcode
this: http://ckeditor.com/forums/Plugins/Plugin-bbcode
and this: http://ckeditor.com/demo#bbcode

For tinyMCE, I found this about the BBCode parser:
http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Plugin:bbcode
After multiple searches in google (+-15 minutes). AFAIK that's the only information available about the BBCode plugin for tinyMCE.

For SCE I found:
this: http://www.sceditor.com/documentation/custom-bbcodes/
and this: http://www.sceditor.com/documentation/custom-commands/
in 2 minutes search if I were after the documentation and I didn't know where it was.

With this kind of documentation, I'm fully unable to work with CKE and tinyMCE for BBCode parsing as there's just about no documentation at all.

If you want me to use tinyMCE or CKE instead of SCE, then prove to me that I don't have to redo something that has already been tested, specially after I had already done something at about 80% and after that I had to trash it due to textFormatter.

With SCE: Don't like the image buttons? No problem, a small CSS change will solve that. AFAIK both CKE and tinyMCE don't have such possibility (not confirmed).

Besides, I've been monitoring SCE for a while. The dev usually responds fast and works very well with who wants to help. IMO, his fanbase on SCE just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Even though I'm heavily inclined to SCE, it is definitely not the best WYSIWYG editor for HTML, yet it is the best WYSIWYG editor for BBCode in all fronts.

User avatar
Meis2M
Translator
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 am
Location: IR.Damghan
Name: میثم نوبری
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Meis2M » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 am

ok
SCE is complete for phpBB?
have you any demo?
is it possible see SCE in phpbb 3.1?
you only work on SCE for phpBB or some body help you in this project?
phpBB persian international support
Ultimate SEO Friendly URL - Extension
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM

brunoais
QA Team
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by brunoais » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:57 am

Meis2M wrote: SCE is complete for phpBB?
Nearly. Almost no work is needed to join both, only a small, simple translator ("adaptor") and it's ready to go.
Anyway, I expect to throw in some extra stuff to make it better and more versatile, like the things I mentioned in this topic.
Meis2M wrote: have you any demo?
Not yet. I still need to refactor phpBB's BBCode parser first. Only after that I will work on the WYSIWYG editor.
I do have, however, a greasemonkey script that replaces IP.B's CKE editor with SCE. It does what needs to be done to make it well usable and better than IP.B's CKE even though it is not nearly as good as it could be if I really had placed my effort on it.
Meis2M wrote:is it possible see SCE in phpbb 3.1?
No. SCE will not go to phpBB 3.1 same as any other WYSIWYG editor you can think of because 3.1 is already in feature freeze (and about time). If you want to make an extension to 3.1 to add such kind of editor, go ahead and do it. I'm not against it.
Meis2M wrote:you only work on SCE for phpBB or some body help you in this project?
AFAIK, I'm alone in this sub-project even though many voted on how it should be. The most active ones were me and EXreaction, the others were passive even though they were commenting on our information.

User avatar
Arty
Former Team Member
Posts: 16654
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:36 pm
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Arty » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:54 pm

WYSIWYG editor is a must have in modern forum software. Vast majority of users are not geeks, they don't want to learn BBCode to be able to format their messages.

However, one posted in this thread is just horrible. Its too complex. Simple editor would be much better, for example this one: http://imperavi.com/redactor/

It would be great to go even further and implement inline editing, like this: http://ckeditor.com/demo#inline
Make it look like a post that can be edited.

It also must have ability to switch to usual textarea editor for people who prefer to use good old bbcode.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Arty wrote:WYSIWYG editor is a must have in modern forum software. Vast majority of users are not geeks, they don't want to learn BBCode to be able to format their messages.

However, one posted in this thread is just horrible. Its too complex. Simple editor would be much better, for example this one: http://imperavi.com/redactor/

It would be great to go even further and implement inline editing, like this: http://ckeditor.com/demo#inline
Make it look like a post that can be edited.

It also must have ability to switch to usual textarea editor for people who prefer to use good old bbcode.
Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to be downvoting this idea simply because every previous attempt has been badly implemented. A lot of the people who downvoted would agree that if the perfect WYSIWYG editor existed, it would be a good feature in phpBB.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by keith10456 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:40 pm

brunoais wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Yes, only if it is an option to enable/disable via the ACP
What would the disabling give? What exists at the moment?
Correct... The option to use the current editor if the admin/member doesn't want to use the WYSIWYG editor.

User avatar
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Posts: 7022
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 am
Location: cheerleading practice
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by tbackoff » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 am

Actually, I was never a fan of WYSIWYG editors anyway. We need a neutral vote option, because you are correct - if the perfect editor existed AND it was an option (and not forced onto users), then I would probably change my vote.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

User avatar
Meis2M
Translator
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 am
Location: IR.Damghan
Name: میثم نوبری
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Meis2M » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 am

Yes i believe must have an switch off option in acp or ucp like this:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_ENABLE_WYSIWYG -->
<!-- INCLUDE WYSIWYG.html -->
<!-- ELSE -->
<!-- INCLUDE posting_buttons.html -->
<!-- ENDIF -->
:D
phpBB persian international support
Ultimate SEO Friendly URL - Extension
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM

brunoais
QA Team
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by brunoais » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:55 am

Arty wrote: However, one posted in this thread is just horrible. Its too complex. Simple editor would be much better, for example this one: http://imperavi.com/redactor/
Which one? SCE, tinyMCE or CKE?
Arty wrote: It would be great to go even further and implement inline editing, like this: http://ckeditor.com/demo#inline
Make it look like a post that can be edited.
Hum... I don't like that idea for a forum. Miss-clicking, specially with touch screens may create some frustration. I would prefer something inside the lines of a quick edit like IP.B does.
Arty wrote: It also must have ability to switch to usual textarea editor for people who prefer to use good old bbcode.
SCE has that possibility and I can easily make some mechanisms that can be used to make it display in the previous state it was.
keith10456 wrote:
brunoais wrote:
keith10456 wrote:Yes, only if it is an option to enable/disable via the ACP
What would the disabling give? What exists at the moment?
Correct... The option to use the current editor if the admin/member doesn't want to use the WYSIWYG editor.
Hum... Let me try the following:
I'll put aside (not remove), in the dev version, the current editor. Then I'll ask you for opinion if it looks good enough for you all that don't like it. If you don't like it, then I'll place the other editor back behind an option in the UCP. Just keep in mind that I will not test the old (current) BBCode editor here, just the changes I made.

@Meis2M: If I make a switch, it will be placed in the UCP, just because a user does not like the current option does not mean that all will prefer, or even accept that same option. Also, it's not the admin that knows what's best for the user in this subject.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by keith10456 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm

brunoais wrote:@Meis2M: If I make a switch, it will be placed in the UCP, just because a user does not like the current option does not mean that all will prefer, or even accept that same option. Also, it's not the admin that knows what's best for the user in this subject.
I disagree... Even though I'm in favor of a WYSIWYG editor (ACP enabled/disabled), an admin should always have the option of allowing/disallowing features on his/her site.

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”