WYSIWYG editor

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Jessica » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:55 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:I can't stand wysiwyg editors but I think they are planning on adding one, I just hope I can disable it on my own board.
same here.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Jessica wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I can't stand wysiwyg editors but I think they are planning on adding one, I just hope I can disable it on my own board.
same here.

I think I will use both of them (textual and WYSIWYG editor) depending on what I have to write at the moment. So I think that an option to switch from one to another will be welcome for me too.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:01 pm

peopleopinion wrote:Why starting from scratches if it is possible to find online something almost ready?
I searched online other WYSIWYG editor under GPL licence. I have found some interesting piece of code eventually to evaluate for implementation. The problem maybe is that it have to be scalable/ customizable as well as phpbb codes are now, so every admin can improve his own buttons and custom "toolbars" with icons with a simple code as "backend" (I am not sure if backend is the correct word in this case).
Hope this helps
Hum... how do I put this that does not create a wrong reaction...
I thought I had already mentioned I'm not making the WYSIWYG editor. I'm working on it and helping improving it but it is not mine.
As all is now, the idea is to use SCE (you have the link to it there).
As it is thought now, turning off the editor will be impossible. You may edit the HTML files, though.
There is, however, the source code mode that the editor offers with fully functional buttons. It is supposed to be as powerful or more powerful and complete as the current buttons are.
Also in the works, there's the idea of allowing the buttons to be just icons, text and icons or just text. That is already implemented to SCE.
Now I'm trying to understand how is the status of SCE. There's a dedicated community around it but the owner hasn't been there recently.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:10 pm

I've heard that it might be able to be disabled by the admin and it should be or it shouldn't be in the core. We shouldn't need an extension to remove a fluff feature.

Jessica
Former Team Member

Post by Jessica » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:26 pm

SMF (Simple Machine Forums) has a switch...toggle it on and off...so I wouldn't think it would be impossible for phpBB. It can be done (hopefully)
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31 pm

For the starters, for dev, it won't have such switch. It is supposed to be "so good" that it does not require such thing.
SCE stores (or will store) the last mode that it was for each website.
In the source code mode, it is as good or better than phpBB's current editor. First give it a try (you may give a small try now) and then when I integrate. If, after I feel that it is complete enough, you still feel the need for the switch, then, with dev's permission, I'll make the switch.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:27 am

There's no such thing as "so good it doesn't need to be turned off" if admins don't want it at all. :roll:

D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:20 am

Imo USERS should be able to switch between editors... Not (neccessarily) the admin.

regards, DAve
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 am

D@ve wrote:Imo USERS should be able to switch between editors... Not (neccessarily) the admin.

regards, DAve
Nonsense, it's *my* forum, not the users, I pay the bills, I run it, I should be able to choose... :roll:

D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 am

Nonsense, it's *my* forum, not the users, I pay the bills, I run it, I should be able to choose
Why? You also don't need to choose if the useres want to sort the topics via date or via subject...

It would make sense if an WYSIWIG needs more server performance something like that. But it won't effect your bills or your administration if a user uses a text editor or a WYSWIG (if implemented properly of cause).

regards,
Dave
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 am

I also get to choose which users stay or go and what the rules are. Users don't have rights other than what I allow and YOU don't get to decide what makes sense on my server either. If *I* don't want a wysiwyg editor on my server *that* should be the end of it.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:18 pm

@Master_Cylinder
In that case, just remove the script tag from the source code. It's as simple as that.
Anyway, you can't prevent anyone from using a WYSIWYG on your website. That user may just use a browser extension to deal with that.

Jessica
Former Team Member

Post by Jessica » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:51 pm

I believe the users should be able to choose. Maybe there should be an admin option on whether to allow users to choose or whether they're forced to use one or the other?

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Those are... 4 ppl asking for it...

At first, the first push, I won't.
Then I'll work on adding should the devs accept it.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm

(double post, delete please)
Last edited by Master_Cylinder on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”