Group 3
Group 4
Group 5
Group 6
Group 7
Group 8
Group 9
Group 10

From green to red, groups have more restrictive privileges: colors will show at a glance such status.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

Re: Color groups in ACP

Post by Master_Cylinder »

peopleopinion wrote:Let me show a very simple scenario:

Group 1
Group 2
Group 3
Group 4
Group 5
Group 6
Group 7
Group 8
Group 9
Group 10

From green to red, groups have more restrictive privileges: colors will show at a glance such status.
Once again, you don't even understand the request. :roll:
colorwhy.jpg
colorwhy.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Do you REALLY need the word Administrators to be color coded to know that it's the administrator group?
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I don't know what I was thinking at the time I suggested this. At that time, it just seemed like a good suggestion that should be part of core. Now, I can't think of a good reason to have this....though there's no bad one either. I guess it is purely for cosmetic reasons..I don't know...I just like to see what colors I used when I go to the manage groups page, I suppose (or that it looks nicer when they're all colored? I don't know :/)...sorry guys. >_<
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Jessica wrote:I don't know what I was thinking at the time I suggested this. At that time, it just seemed like a good suggestion that should be part of core. Now, I can't think of a good reason to have this....though there's no bad one either. I guess it is purely for cosmetic reasons..I don't know...I just like to see what colors I used when I go to the manage groups page, I suppose (or that it looks nicer when they're all colored? I don't know :/)...sorry guys. >_<
Thanks for clarification.
Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:Let me show a very simple scenario:

Group 1
Group 2
Group 3
Group 4
Group 5
Group 6
Group 7
Group 8
Group 9
Group 10

Once again, you don't even understand the request. :roll:
colorwhy.jpg
Do you REALLY need the word Administrators to be color coded to know that it's the administrator group?
I thought I'd already responded to your question with my example. But maybe I have now understood the misinterpretation: you are (and were) talking about the original default groups but I'm not, well not only. I'm talking about custom groups primarily.
Graphic helped me to understand better what you were worried about. ;)

Any way if this improvement is not appreciated no problem.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote: I thought I'd already responded to your question with my example. But maybe I have now understood the misinterpretation: you are (and were) talking about the original default groups but I'm not, well not only. I'm talking about custom groups primarily.
Graphic helped me to understand better what you were worried about. ;)

Any way if this improvement is not appreciated no problem.
It doesn't matter if it's default groups or custom groups, they show the group *name* and the color is just cosmetic since the admins makes the custom groups he/she knows that "group5" is in the middle of 1 and 10 so the color is superfluous.

It's not an improvement, it's just coloring something because it can be. Again, it doesn't matter if it's added or not added, it'd probably be a tiny bit of code to do it but it serves no real purpose.
Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

I've used a mod that does this: ACP Group Name Coloured

It's like only three lines of additional code:

Code: Select all

style="color: #{groups.GROUP_COLOUR}"
, g.group_colour
'GROUP_COLOUR' => $row['group_colour'],
That's ALL the code that you have to add... so why not? It's the human eye we're talking about. You can instantly locate the color if you have many groups.

Don't the admins have the right to be lazy? :mrgreen:
Master_Cylinder

Louis7777 wrote: That's ALL the code that you have to add... so why not?
"Why not" leave it to a MOD/Extension then? The devs also weigh need and demand (to a lesser degree) when adding stuff to the core. The human eye can instantly recognize the word "administrator" too. ;)

I can't think of a good reason to add it...nor can I think of a good reason not to add it other than the lack of need or demand.
Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

There are 55 reasons in the poll and plenty of colorful ones :mrgreen:
Master_Cylinder wrote:"Why not" leave it to a MOD/Extension then?
Roughly 100 characters of code?
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Post by Big Mac »

Jessica wrote:I don't know what I was thinking at the time I suggested this. At that time, it just seemed like a good suggestion that should be part of core. Now, I can't think of a good reason to have this....though there's no bad one either. I guess it is purely for cosmetic reasons..I don't know...I just like to see what colors I used when I go to the manage groups page, I suppose (or that it looks nicer when they're all colored? I don't know :/)...sorry guys. >_<
It is a good suggestion Jessica.

Seeing the colours in the ACP will enable admins to check that groups are colour coded with a colour they like.

If a group had a colour that might clash with the admin's choice of board style, it would be easier for them to find the group they wanted to edit (to change the colour) if there was some representation of colour in the ACP.

But, whatever gets done, the ACP must continue to be usable by colour blind people. So the colour coding should be a bonus-feature, not the only way to tell what colour a group has.

Ideally, a colour-blind admin (or even a blind admin - assuming that phpBB has programmers that make it accessible to blind people) should be able to read up on colour schemes and choose colours for their forum groups, based on their research (rather than their eyes).

If colour of groups was supported to this extent, it would be a good move forward.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Master_Cylinder

There are reasons to set/change the group colors...just not in the ACP other than for esthetics. Nobody needs the word Administrators colored to see that it's the admin group while in the ACP.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I like it and need it colored. It's more eye catching for me and adding color makes it look nicer.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

nickvergessen wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 amWell I wonder whether we should add a background, if the font color is too bright.
Otherwise it might be hard to spot in the ACP.
For this reason my solution for this has been this for years:
20170914 acp groups.png
20170914 acp groups.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 433 times
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

AmigoJack wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am
nickvergessen wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 amWell I wonder whether we should add a background, if the font color is too bright.
Otherwise it might be hard to spot in the ACP.
For this reason my solution for this has been this for years:
20170914 acp groups.png
That's not a bad solution, I like your *colored* solution. :P
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
TGS

Post by TGS »

To piggy back on this idea a bit, it would be nice if this feature could be toggled on a per post basis so that Staff could differentiate between official Staff posts and regular posting. It is a concept that has been employed on many communities in recent years and is surprisingly useful.

For example if I was part of the Admin and Global Moderator team each time I make a post/thread there could be a dropdown box with None, Global Moderator or Admin and whichever one I selected my username and perhaps even the border of the post itself could be colored the same (And selectable on a per group basis) thus allowing the staff to speak officially or unofficially as it were. Of course you wouldn't necessarily have to utilize it that way as it could either remember the last setting you used or in your account post options you could set the default group to post from so if you wanted to always appear as an admin or mod or whatever you could do so.

This is a feature no other free/open source forums have and would be a great addition to phpBB I think.
david63

Post by david63 »

TGS wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm ... my username and perhaps even the border of the post itself could be colored
Usernames can pick up the colour from the group now
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “phpBB Ideas”