Easier Video Integration

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
EricHarrison

Easier Video Integration

Post by EricHarrison » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Hey there!

First off, I would like to say Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU! for adding this forum! I love PHPBB and I was starting to feel as though the software was starting to fall behind the other advances of social media.

The NUMBER ONE issue for me is the lack of ease in adding videos to PHPBB. YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

It would be ideal to just cut and paste the link and have the software handle the setup of posting the video, rather than using BBCode which is convoluted and, well, old school compared to what people are now used to on Facebook, Twitter and such.

Thank you again for this forum. I am sure great things will come of it!

----------

View idea at: Easier Video Integration

Posted by EricHarrison

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: Easier Video Integration

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Includes elements of Expand links automatically, but I don't think that it is a duplicate.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Though your post is weak on specifics (as to the actual feature you want added) I generally agree with your point. Not sure how it would be implemented though outside of bbcode.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm

keith10456 wrote:Though your post is weak on specifics (as to the actual feature you want added) I generally agree with your point. Not sure how it would be implemented though outside of bbcode.
In other BB softwares, if you post a YouTube link, it is turned into an embedded video. It's a lot easier to use, but has the disadvantage that if a lot of links are posted in one thread, you end up with a tonne of youtube instances trying to load at the same time. It isn't really a problem except on the slowest of mobile devices, though.

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Thats what i was talking about in idea mentioned above.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Kamahl19 wrote:Thats what i was talking about in idea mentioned above.
Yep, but you also wanted it for articles / blogs / wikipedia, which I think is a pretty bad idea.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:32 pm

My POV here is quite direct to the point. It's a simple:
Want it? Make a BBCode for it. There's really nothing else to mention.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

brunoais wrote:My POV here is quite direct to the point. It's a simple:
User process for BBCode:

1. Ooh, a YouTube BBCode button (the majority of users won't notice this, though).
2. [youtube][/youtube]
3. <enters short URL of video>
4. Rejected.
5. <enters long URL of video>
6. Rejected.
7. <manually grabs the video ID from the URL (ewww, seriously?), enters into BBCode>
8. Accepted!

User process for turning links into videos:

1. Pastes URL

I don't understand why a lot of people think that everything has to be a BBCode. It clearly isn't suited for something like this, and expecting the user to first guess what syntax it wants, and then grab the ID from the URL just isn't user friendly at all.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:02 pm

@callumacrae
I have already made a BBCode for phpBB 3.0 that accepts any of those 3 ways of using the BBCode tag. It's a straight forward BBCode with some basic javascript.
So, my point stays the same. If you want it, make an extension for it. As it is now it's very easy to do with BBCodes.

By the way, with the new BBCode parser, that becomes solvable with just BBCode and no need for javascript to do the "dirty" work.

nachtelb
Name: Bernhard

Post by nachtelb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Posting Video-Links from other Sides is a absolutely normal process when using a bb. I think, it should come along with a new installation. So, if the option is not a fully integration but a standart-BBCode being part of a new installation, then this may be the solution. But it doesnt matter, that it coud be done - with this argumentation you would not have any bbcode with the plain installation.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:11 am

callumacrae wrote:
brunoais wrote:My POV here is quite direct to the point. It's a simple:
User process for BBCode:

1. Ooh, a YouTube BBCode button (the majority of users won't notice this, though).
2. [youtube][/youtube]
3. <enters short URL of video>
4. Rejected.
5. <enters long URL of video>
6. Rejected.
7. <manually grabs the video ID from the URL (ewww, seriously?), enters into BBCode>
8. Accepted!

User process for turning links into videos:

1. Pastes URL

I don't understand why a lot of people think that everything has to be a BBCode. It clearly isn't suited for something like this, and expecting the user to first guess what syntax it wants, and then grab the ID from the URL just isn't user friendly at all.

Agreed:
+1 for me.

I don't have a big experience on forums but with mine I had lots of people that said that linking external content is too difficult, and sometimes they renounced to post because of these difficulties and sometimes it is because they choose other social network as facebook to communicate.

phpbb have to evolve and render things easier.
Every one of us like phpbb if we use, but some more easiness doing things for user and staff too will be appreciated...

BBCode was a good implementation in the past... but some changes have to be made. Only this "philosophy" cannot give to phpbb cms the power to float still for long time, because more other platforms give to admin and users an easier experience: no all people are programmers and using bbcodes needs a person at least a bit experienced, as far as what is said about the easiness of posting in.

So I like this idea.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:15 am

It's not always legal to embed video so as long as the bbcode can be disabled by the admin...fine.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:It's not always legal to embed video so as long as the bbcode can be disabled by the admin...fine.
Facebook as well as other sites have features that allow the video owner to disable embedding the video in other external websites.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Great idea. I had the BBCode YouTube thing installed but most people don't get it. It's just not intuitive to paste just the query string part of the YT URL.

Keep it simple, let the user paste in the YouTube sharing URL and have it automagically show up and it would be perfect!!

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Swanny wrote:Great idea. I had the BBCode YouTube thing installed but most people don't get it. It's just not intuitive to paste just the query string part of the YT URL.

Keep it simple, let the user paste in the YouTube sharing URL and have it automagically show up and it would be perfect!!
My philosophy too:
Swanny wrote: :arrow: Keep it simple
Web has to be accessible not only to "experts" but to more and more... all people.
Web is a democratic place. But to be really democratic has to be comfortable for everyone and not only for "insiders" like us ;) .

Return to “phpBB Ideas”