Quote with link to quoted post

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
AmigoJack

Re: Quote with link to quoted post

Post by AmigoJack »

Because that date format does not reflect my date format and timezone.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

EDIT: Oops never mind -_-

I understand now. But it should link to the post still and maybe somehow the date/time can be adjusted to the chosen settings on a board?
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

I think we don't need the date there. Just nickname + ref-link. Everythingelse should be done by the click on the links to the original post, there you will get any information you need.

We should not over "do". If we are not finding a small solution.
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Thumbs up for this: +1
What about to implement it directly in phpbb core?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Jessica wrote:Why not like this? Using a quote on my board as an example.

Has the date, user, and link to post.
Romano » Dec 03 2011, 1:47 pm wrote: and btw you need to make the domain http://chenschool.elementfx.com, auto go to your forum
not pretty to see folders in: http://chenschool.elementfx.com

Nesting quote bbcode and url bbcode give a solution but it is a bit complicated and not automated.
The solution works but the major part of users don't know it. So I think that it is a better think to implement it directly in phpbb core to achieve this aim: "one click one linked quote". Simply and direct.

Hope this will be a part of a future implementation of phpbb core in the future. It is really a must have.
Thanks
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

what a deja-vu...

i created a mod in phpbb 2.0.x to do just that.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=368370

the mod was very simple: instead of having the forum software understand more sophisticated quote header, i tweaked the "Quote" button to squirt out something like

Code: Select all

[quote="[url=http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=2005093#p2005093]On Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:15 pm, drathbun[/url]"]
[/quote]
(of course, the actual link depends on the specific post where the user pressed the "quote" button)

which creates a quote that looks like so:
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:15 pm, drathbun wrote: Look in your admin panel. You will see an option to enable HTML (it's off by default) as well as a list of tags that come by default. You can add (remove) as you wish.
this functionality was never incorporated into phpbb2, 3 or 3.1. not saying my 2.0 code was necessarily pretty (maybe it was - can't bother to read it now), but i find it kind of amusing that something as simple and obvious is still discussed all these years after. i had this code on an old forum that was closed more than 9 years ago...

peace.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

arod-1 wrote:kind of amusing
See previous posts: your hardcoded text does neither honor each user's date format settings, nor their chosen language. And changing the path or domain.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

AmigoJack wrote:
arod-1 wrote:kind of amusing
See previous posts: your hardcoded text does neither honor each user's date format settings, nor their chosen language. And changing the path or domain.
that is correct. however, my little hack is extremely simple, and hardly touches any core code.
i was not really advocating using this hack as-is, just reminiscing how some deficiency i saw almost 10 years ago and addressed quite easily for phpbb2 (and even published a "beta mod") is still on the "wish list" when 3.1 is practically here...

regarding the issues you cite - true. if anyone wants to take this little hack and fix those issues they are more than welcome (though i don't understand the part of your comment regarding "path or domain"). my post mainly meant to comment that this can be done very easily, with no real changes to core code.

peace.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

arod-1 wrote:addressed quite easily
Depends on the point of view: for you alone, yes. For all those relying on different languages or formats it's a break of the design/consistency. It should be implemented as flexible and robust as the rest of the board.
arod-1 wrote:i don't understand the part of your comment regarding "path or domain"
http://domain.net/path/board/index.php must never change in your solution (although in the end it's rather easy to update all posts and PMs once the board moves).
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

AmigoJack wrote:
arod-1 wrote:i don't understand the part of your comment regarding "path or domain"
http://domain.net/path/board/index.php must never change in your solution (although in the end it's rather easy to update all posts and PMs once the board moves).
this has nothing to do with "my" hack. people are using links all over the internet all the time, inside a forum and outside. once "your forum moves" all these links get broken - this is part of life on the net. a post may be linked to from other posts, from other forums, blogs, emails, wikipedia articles, etc. etc. etc.

so yes, when you move your forum to another domain, or change the root address for your forum, or when you split threads, or move threads from one forum to another, you might break these external links, and if you use my hack, you may also break some internal links from quote headers.

IMO, it is much better to have an imperfect solution which does exactly what i want 98.61% of the time, then not have any solution at all. of course, if you have a perfect solution, by all means, use it.

peace.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

No - you're talking about user content - I'm talking about the board structure. The post target icons, the navigation breadcrumbs, the UCP, fhe forum lists, the topic lists... all those are relative and will still work once the board is moved. Your solution inserts a hardcoded URI into user content instead of keeping it unbound.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

IMHO the best solution to show as title of the quote tag would be:

Code: Select all

[quote="PostRefNumber ", "UserNumber", "UserName", "DateAndTimeOfOroginalPost"]
	 Quoted text... bla bla bla
	[/quote]
Observations:
  1. PostRefNumber is invisible, it is just for referencing the original quoted post and built the iperlink to it.
  2. The UserNumber is invisible too: it is enough to show the UserName IMHO. UserNumber is just for referencing it: this way every quote title will be updated automatically in case the UserXYZ modifies his/her UserName, because UserNumber is not editable by any user.
  3. Of course everything would be inserted automatically, just clicking on the "quote" button.
The final aspect would be like Jessica said:
UserXYZ on Dec 03 2011, 1:47 pm wrote: Quoted text... bla bla bla
Last edited by peopleopinion on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

peopleopinion wrote:IMHO the best solution
That means you ignored or did not understand all the previous posts, as your format collides with usernames with commas, usernames consisting of numbers only and regional settings of date/time formats. And you forgot a closing quotation mark.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Deleted by me because duplicated
Last edited by peopleopinion on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

AmigoJack wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:IMHO the best solution
That means you ignored or did not understand all the previous posts, as your format collides with usernames with commas, usernames consisting of numbers only and regional settings of date/time formats. And you forgot a closing quotation mark.
Ehhem... yeap, sorry.
Thanks for your notice I corrected my previous post including each part into quotes. Please have a look at it and help me to correct if any mistake still occurred.
Thanks in advance.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”