Quote with link to quoted post

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
AmigoJack

Re: Quote with link to quoted post

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:04 am

peopleopinion wrote:I corrected my previous post
The downside of "hiding" what you once did is that now nobody knows what I refer to.
peopleopinion wrote:including each part into quotes
Why must the user ID be in quotes?
peopleopinion wrote:help me to correct if any mistake still occurred
Aside from a nonsensical space and a typo your format is still bound to regional settings of date/time formats - you didn't even gave usage examples.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:20 am

AmigoJack wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:I corrected my previous post
The downside of "hiding" what you once did is that now nobody knows what I refer to.
Yes, sorry again, I acted that way to not make a new post just for few microscopic corrections: anyway not my intention to cause discomfort.
AmigoJack wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:including each part into quotes
Why must the user ID be in quotes?
Motivation: because, as known, board Admins have the possibility (in ACP) to allow users to change their public UserName. But not the UserNumber that is managed by each phpbb board and is permanent from the first registration of any user and cannot be changed.

Any way I did not used the word "user ID" but "UserNumber" and "UserName" in my previous example.
Allow me to show what I mean for such words in this context:

UserName = user ID = nickname = peopleopinion (or AmigoJack) :arrow: [potentially modifiable]
userNumber = 1383801 (mine) (or 1289605 yours) :arrow: [permanent]

Extremely simple Scenario: 2 users, A and B:
A posts a msg. B quotes the msg posted by A.
Suppose that some time later (days or months, not important) A changes her/his UserName in C.
Result:
the msg quoted by B is still quoted as made by the user named A but who is A?
Nobody (readers of the board) knows A because such user is now known as C...

Solution 1
Using userNumber instead the UserName to address the quoted user (A -> C) solves that issue: infact to obtain the data from the server, php will query the database with the userNumber obtaining the respective public UserName. Than the page and all quotes in it are parsed with the updated UserName, that is C now, perfectly up to date. Than the page is sent to the browser.
So, this way, all quotes "follow" the user UserName changes and no more orphan quotes will happen...

Code: Select all

[quote="PostRefNumber", "UserNumber", "UserName", "DateAndTimeOfOroginalPost"]
		Quoted text... bla bla bla
	[/quote]
Solution 2
Of course another possibility to evaluate is to get the UserName using the ID of the quoted msg, querying the database to get the respective author/owner. The UserName will be up to date as well as in the solution 1.

[quote="PostRefNumber", "DateAndTimeOfOroginalPost"]
	[/quote]
Observations (valid for both solutions):
  1. PostRefNumber is invisible, it is just for referencing the original quoted post and built the iperlink to it.
  2. The UserNumber is invisible too: it is enough to show the UserName IMHO. UserNumber is just for referencing it: this way every quote title will be updated automatically in case the UserXYZ modifies his/her UserName, because UserNumber is not editable by any user.
  3. Of course everything would be inserted automatically, just clicking on the "quote" button.
  4. Of course I don't know which solution is the best in terms of efficiency and speed to get the needed data from the database.
    AmigoJack wrote:
    peopleopinion wrote:help me to correct if any mistake still occurred
    Aside from a nonsensical space and a typo your format is still bound to regional settings of date/time formats - you didn't even gave usage examples.
  5. The data is queried from the database and formatted accordingly to user or board regional preferences at runtime.
And, still, the final aspect in both solutions could be like Jessica said. This is the example:
UserXYZ on Dec 03 2011, 1:47 pm wrote: Quoted text... bla bla bla
Notice that the Jessica example is obtained with a different markup, thanks to a wise use of url bbcode Jessica did. The problem is that no normal user knows this trick.
But in the version in topic such "manual" implementation that uses the "url" bbcode will not be necessary because everything will be reduced at just one click for the final user, as I've already highlighted. Normal users will like that.
Last edited by peopleopinion on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:42 am

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:14 am

AmigoJack wrote:Why must the user ID be in quotes?
The user ID is always a number, not a text. I asked why there is the need to put a number into quotes, since it doesn't need any borders for detection.
peopleopinion wrote:The data is queried from the database and formatted accordingly to user or board regional preferences at runtime
Yes, obviously. But not when the client uses your "DateAndTimeOfOroginalPost" parameter - not only didn't you give any example on the input format(s), you also left unanswered how potential regional settings of the client are recognized.
Affin wrote:
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:11 am

AmigoJack wrote:
AmigoJack wrote:Why must the user ID be in quotes?
The user ID is always a number, not a text. I asked why there is the need to put a number into quotes, since it doesn't need any borders for detection.
I used the same pattern used now. Infact, for what I can see, clicking on the "quote" button creates a string like the following:

[quote="Theusername"]quotedtext[/quote]
So I've just reused the same pattern of that source.
But if "" aren't needed devs will remove them at the moment of hardcoding. No problem. ;)
Any way if there are (I really don't know, so it is a big "if...") contents that include some special symbols like punctuation, the quotes mean "work with this as a unique string". Might be useful for dates: I don't know how they are internally, before the final formatting.
AmigoJack wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:The data is queried from the database and formatted accordingly to user or board regional preferences at runtime
Yes, obviously. But not when the client uses your "DateAndTimeOfOroginalPost" parameter - not only didn't you give any example on the input format(s), you also left unanswered how potential regional settings of the client are recognized.
For regional settings of the client (I suppose the client browser of the user?).
Anyway I don't have any response. Really Sorry for my ignorance about that but I really don't know what you are talking about.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:47 am

Another interesting and still more versatile solution could be the following:
Where:
1) clicking on the user will open the user profile
2) clicking on the date will open the original post.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:19 am

Or inverting the date and the user:
Where (as before):
1) clicking on the date will open the original post.
2) clicking on the user will open the user profile

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 am

peopleopinion wrote:don't know what you are talking about
Would your code expect (and recognize) the following input as a date?
  1. 2015-10-01 12:31 UTC
  2. 10/01/2015, 2:31pm CEST
  3. 01/10/2015, 1:31pm MEZ
  4. Oct 1, 2015, 14:31 +0200
  5. 2015年10月01日
  6. יום חמישי 1 אוקטובר 2015
  7. 1 Октябрь 2015
  8. 1 ตุลาคม 2558
  9. १ अक्‍तूबर, २०१५
  10. Πέμπτη, 01 Οκτώβριος 2015
  11. 01 أكتوبر, 2015
Note the thai calendar usage, which does not use "our" Gregorian years.
Affin wrote:

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:38 am

AmigoJack wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:don't know what you are talking about
Would your code expect (and recognize) the following input as a date?
  1. 2015-10-01 12:31 UTC
  2. 10/01/2015, 2:31pm CEST
  3. 01/10/2015, 1:31pm MEZ
  4. Oct 1, 2015, 14:31 +0200
  5. 2015年10月01日
  6. יום חמישי 1 אוקטובר 2015
  7. 1 Октябрь 2015
  8. 1 ตุลาคม 2558
  9. १ अक्‍तूबर, २०१५
  10. Πέμπτη, 01 Οκτώβριος 2015
  11. 01 أكتوبر, 2015
Note the thai calendar usage, which does not use "our" Gregorian years.
I'm sorry I think there is a misunderstanding :P
"My code" doesn't exist, I made every example using just living bbcodes, combining them into "complicated" 8-) ways, invented by others, no more no less. But the aim of the example was to show and make understanding the "result" of the "idea" to implement into the future phpbb board updates by modifying themes and functions accordingly (by phpbb devs), if the proposal will be accepted of course.
So the aim isn't to show a "working code" but to advance an idea to phpbb devs to improve the behavior of quote button with the hope they will decide to implement something that acts in the correct way just by clicking the button itself.

To better understand everything, the following is the code I used:
(This way everything will be cleared even for the last quoted question about dates, before in this post.)

[quote="[url=https://www.phpbb.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1383801]UserXYZ (->)[/url], On [url=https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=436&t=2190286&p=14215586#p14216561]Dec 03 2011, 1:47 pm (->)[/url]"]
	[/quote]
to obtain this result:
As shown it is pretty complicated. No normal user will use something like that, written by hands: it is just an example of what the final result would be (or will be if implemented).

But simplifying it (into the core of phpbb php files or templates, I don't know, where it is necessary):

[quote="PostRefNumber", "DateAndTimeOfOroginalPost"]
   [/quote]
is much better and could be for everybody whether it will be implemented.

Of course it could be further improved, if needed.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:02 am

peopleopinion wrote:the following is the code I used
Your example uses a hardcoded word in english, that will collide with using a different board language. Yes, of course you want to demonstrate what you imagine, but I'm always telling you which (and how many) detail questions arise for simple examples. The less simple (speak: the more precise) your examples would be, the less details would be needed to clarified.

To make a more drastical example: just come up with the idea to "make phpBB better and faster" - that is surely something everybody wants to see. But how this can be achieved (even only halfway) should be explained as well, instead of leaving this miracle to the developers.
Affin wrote:

Return to “phpBB Ideas”