Multiquote!

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Multiquote!

Post by Volksdevil »

Something my forum users have wanted for a long, long time!

A way to multiquote replies, I'm not sure of the best way to implement it...But the 'Quote' button does already show on each post, and I think it should probably stay there, just work differently?
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Re: Multiquote!

Post by Crizzo »

A checkbox like in mcp on everypost and then you press the reply/quote button and have all you checked posts quoted.

But i don't know, if it is nessecary, because of this good quote function in posting-editor.
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You can already multi-quote from the Topic Review pretty well...
Ideas Bot wrote:A way to multiquote replies
Crizzo wrote:But i don't know, if it is nessecary
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

Fair point, I wouldn't say it's obvious enough though. Especially as I've had members asking if we can implement a multiquote system. I didn't even know about the topic review quoting myself. :oops:
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Brf wrote:You can already multi-quote from the Topic Review pretty well...
Ideas Bot wrote:A way to multiquote replies
Crizzo wrote:But i don't know, if it is nessecary
Woah, I didn't know about that! It should definitely be made more obvious!
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 »

This is also part of my idea https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/idea.php?id=55
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Brf wrote:You can already multi-quote from the Topic Review pretty well...
You are limited to only what is being shown in that box. It would be nice to have a multiquote that would span across multiple pages.
Eric
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

I like how this feature is implemented in WBB 4. You can see it here: http://beta.woltlab.com/ (register. its a demo forum that won't bother you with email confirmation)

Instead of opening reply window, when you click Quote button it remembers that you wanted to quote that post and also small "Quote" block appear in bottom right of window. Click that button several times on different posts (even on different threads), hit Reply button and all those quotes will appear in reply.

Floating quote block in bottom right corner can be used to add/remove posts from list of posts to quote. Very easy to use.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I like it too.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Arty wrote:Floating quote block
Does it work with JS turned off? That's one thing where most of those multi-reply implementations fail.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Does it work with JS turned off?
This is driving me crazy. Why would anyone disable JS. How many people visiting phpBB has disabled JS. And what if user has disabled images. Or what if he is using browser without CSS support. So lets build pages looking like from 1995 because somebody might still use Mosaic browser.
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

AmigoJack wrote:
Arty wrote:Floating quote block
Does it work with JS turned off? That's one thing where most of those multi-reply implementations fail.
You easily simulate a multiquote just the same way as I just did. For features like this making such that it is compatible it is ridiculous to also make it available for users who prefer not to have js turned on (or not use js at all). Making stuff for users who do not have/want js is just for things where there's no real alternative for users who do not have js.
Kamahl19 wrote:
Does it work with JS turned off?
This is driving me crazy. Why would anyone disable JS. How many people visiting phpBB has disabled JS. And what if user has disabled images. Or what if he is using browser without CSS support. So lets build pages looking like from 1995 because somebody might still use Mosaic browser.
Eh.... Me?
When I don't really trust the web page I don't activate the js on that page even if it is running phpBB. ANyway if I don't have helpers it's my problem, it is my decision. I'm not forced to have js turned on to be able to do everything. Stuff that is only available for js users should be "accelerators". Multiquote is one of those things.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Kamahl19 wrote:This is driving me crazy
Tell that handicapped people who still want to communicate using the internet. The last thing I want is phpBB being a hindrance for those who have difficulties on making input or recognizing output. Try to control your computer (including internet browser) without using a mouse, that should give you a whole new dimension.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I agree accessability is very important part of webdesign. I always optimize for handicapped people. however this is not a reason to refuse all new features just because of this. multiquote can by based on JS and if you have disabled js it wont even display the button for multiquote

Return to “phpBB Ideas”