blocking spam

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

blocking spam

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Hello,
block spam user registrations and spam (guest) posting with services (HTTP blacklists) like Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet and Project Honey Pot or IP-RBL DNS blacklists. It's possible to do somethoign like plug-in systems for it.
With a intelligent solution it's possible to reduce the risc of false positives to a minimum very, very near to Zero.
Using several backlists will offer a fallback if one single blacklist is done.
A extra Block log is needed to anaylse/debug the feature.

The aim have to be to have solution where administrators and moderators have to spend only a minimum of their (spare) time in managing spam. Spam Needs to be detected and to be blocked automatically.

Then you can have a CAPTCHA free forum. This will be very user friendly.

Bye Martin

----------

View idea at: blocking spam

Posted by Martin Truckenbrodt
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: blocking spam

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Ideas Bot wrote:With a intelligent solution it's possible to reduce the risc of false positives to a minimum very, very near to Zero.
It should be zero, or it should not be included. Currently, no system is good enough, except for maybe Akismet.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 am

Akismet should be possible with events.
No Support via PM

Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Hello,
last years I have had enough sad discussions about these things.
But just two points:

A lot of people are very happy with my anti-spam MOD.

Users whom are not able to get Visual CAPTCHAs also are false positives. Users whom don't understand Q&A CAPTCHAs or similar things also are false positives. Users whom get annoyed by CAPTCHAs also are false positives. User whom are wondering about seriousity of the website by silly CAPTCHAs or other strange anti-spam features also are false positives.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
last years I have had enough sad discussions about these things.
But just two points:

A lot of people are very happy with my anti-spam MOD.

Users whom are not able to get Visual CAPTCHAs also are false positives. Users whom don't understand Q&A CAPTCHAs or similar things also are false positives. Users whom get annoyed by CAPTCHAs also are false positives. User whom are wondering about seriousity of the website by silly CAPTCHAs or other strange anti-spam features also are false positives.

Bye Martin
I've used your MOD on two boards, one small (my own), and one with 2 million posts. Both had to be disabled because of the amount of people emailing saying that they were blocked. Stop flogging your MOD, it isn't suitable for use on a public board.

Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello Callum,
it's nice to see that you are always writing the same things, too.

While testing my MOD on your boards you haven't tried to get in contact with me. So you haven't gave me a chance to optimize the MOD settings and maybe the MOD itself. As I know it correctly your tests have been done some years ago. So also you tried the old generation of the MOD.

I think nobody is interested in your very outdated feedback. For me it looks like a personal attack against mine any my MODs. IMO phpBB team members should not live this bad style of propaganda in publicity.

Bye Martin
My MODs

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:As I know it correctly your tests have been done some years ago. So also you tried the old generation of the MOD.
How about some current feedback then. I had a site ask me to install your MOD and within 4 hours asked me to disable and remove it because of the amount of legitimate registrations it blocked.

I agree with callumacrae, your MOD isn't suitable for a public board.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Hello Tabitha,
the same to you like to Callum:
You haven't contacted me for optimizing the MOD settings, especially the weight settings of the blacklists.

So your feedback doesn't help anybody. And it it's not fair for me.

Bye Martin
My MODs

nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:38 am

Can you please discuss the MOD in the MODs section?
This is about an idea...
No Support via PM

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 am

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:You haven't contacted me for optimizing the MOD settings, especially the weight settings of the blacklists.
One shouldn't need/have to contact a mod author to "optimize" mod settings. FWIW, I too have had issues from clients with your mod.
So your feedback doesn't help anybody. And it it's not fair for me.
It would seem it would be you who is the one not being fair here. You have been given feedback on your mod and you choose to ignore it.

Bye Rich
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:31 am

Hello Rich,
if I have a problem with a MOD then I'm using the MOD support forum or I'm contacting the MOD author. Why you, callum, tabea and others haven't done it? This is the first question which should be answered!

BTW: This not a discussion about a MOD. This is discussion about features here.

Bye Martin
My MODs

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 pm

If a feature requires people to contact the developers to get help with optimisation, it is a bad feature.

forkless

Post by forkless » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 pm

First of all, It's annoying to read that people take an disparaging tone towards someone who only tries to make the life better for both forum owner and visitors alike.

I don't like being dependent on Captcha's that involve advanced graphology classes or hinder people with visual disabilities such as colour blindness.

One of the biggest upside of this methodology for me his solution runs completely server side so no funky minimal browser specifications one needs to meet. Not many anti-spam solutions can say that can they?

Anyway, Martin makes a very valid point. People being kept out (for whatever VALID reasons) by a Captcha is just as much a false positive and equally "bad" to a false positive on a IPRBL or the likes, but I don't see anybody bother quantifying those stats... I guess those users don't exists :roll:

The whole "You need to configure it, so it's bad!" is just another fallacy in my book. Life isn't that black and white and so isn't tackling spam.

Like any other anti-spam solution there is an option to disable it. If you don't like it don't use it. My experiences with this mod have been quite good and yes it takes some time to weight (some may want to rethink why this is actually required) the various block lists but once you have done that it is second to no other spam solution developed for Olympus.

Especially for some of you who should know better, SPAM these days is an organic beast that needs an organic approach and tooling to battle.

Bottom line is that there are already plenty of Captcha "solutions" already, time for adding more tools with different approaches to the arsenal. Just because people don't like or didn't bother to configure it to a state it is acceptable to them shouldn't be a reason to dismiss it.

In closing it would be a good moment for some people to read THIS thread.

Ps. It's kind of ironic that people are queuing up to have just the Akismet blocking incorporated while it is part of this module.

draky
Name: Gilles W.

Post by draky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am

I might be stupid but I don't understand why this idea have -10 and +3 !

Do people do not want spam to be blocked ?

Captchas are so bad : to work, it needs to be too much complicated to human brain...

The Advanced Block Mod do all the work...

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 am

draky wrote:I might be stupid but I don't understand why this idea have -10 and +3 !

Do people do not want spam to be blocked ?

Captchas are so bad : to work, it needs to be too much complicated to human brain...

The Advanced Block Mod do all the work...
Don't judge topic by its title. Of course people want spam to be blocked, but not in a way author suggests it.

That mod is causing nothing but troubles. It has blocked me on couple of forums in past, it has blocked many other legitimate users.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Return to “phpBB Ideas”