Post preview on hover of topic title

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post preview on hover of topic title

Post by wGEric » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

When you hover over a topic title then a popup would show a preview (shortened version) of the first post. Like this:

Using other forums I find this feature useful since a lot of topic titles aren't descriptive enough. Being able to see the first part of the first post to see if it really is something I want to read is useful.

----------

View idea at: Post preview on hover of topic title

Posted by wGEric
Eric

fac7orx

Re: Post preview on hover of topic title

Post by fac7orx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah, I currently use a mod to do this, but having it by default would be nice as it seems like a rather basic thing for a forum to have in the first place.

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:07 am

However, the tooltip should be switched on and off individually into the ACP. Why: because the navigation on the page can interfere. -> Usability --> ;)

Greetings
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Weather - Climate - Water
BTW: My own works - phpBB - read more: ongray-design-de or look here: phpBB VT Theme
Style: Star Trek - StarTrekExcerpts - Fan-Board

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:19 am

Talk19Zehn wrote:However, the tooltip should be switched on and off individually into the ACP. Why: because the navigation on the page can interfere. -> Usability --> ;)

Greetings
If its done properly (not like vBulletin implementation on screenshot) then there is no need for that. Show preview when mouse is over thread row, hide it as soon as user moves mouse over preview. Then it won't interfere with navigation.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Arty, - yeah, that's right. But the Screen, the topic title "on hover = mouseover" and the discussion only once reveal an other idea.

;) Best regards
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Weather - Climate - Water
BTW: My own works - phpBB - read more: ongray-design-de or look here: phpBB VT Theme
Style: Star Trek - StarTrekExcerpts - Fan-Board

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Impacts both server (think of big boards) and client's (think of slow internet connections / slow devices) performance. Should be a per-user setting.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:16 pm

±0
It is kinda impactful on the server because it requires a new table join on the DB query.

For this kind of thing I think that the option that IP.B uses is one of the best options regarding this.
There's an arrow-kind image that you may click. When you click it, it does an AJAX call to the server to get up to 3 posts. The 1st post of the topic, the post after the last one the user read (only if logged in) and the last post of the topic (if there's an overlap, then duplicates do not appear).
Example.

I think this way we can balance things as I think that, most of the times (considering all users), the users want to see most posts, not just the 1st one or just the last ones, etc... Anyway, this seems to be a good way of solving (not necessarily the best one)

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I like the idea, but not if it will slow down the forum/server. If this can be done in a way that has a minimal performance impact, then go for it!

Return to “phpBB Ideas”