Group membership based on post count

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Group membership based on post count

Post by KevC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Many boards have a buy/sell section or some sort of VIP area where access is given based on post count to 'prove' a level of dedication to the site.

This idea is to propose a new setting where users can be automatically added to other groups based on their post count. As their posts go up, they will move through groups which give additional permissions.

This takes away a lot of administrative effort to keep track of posts and where users can get to.

Being group based also means users can also have those privileges easily removed.

The downside is that although this could potentially be done in a similar way to the newly registered users group, the use of 'never' permissions might be complicated as users would probably still need to be in the registered users group. Unless anyone has a better idea on how to work it :)

----------

View idea at: Group membership based on post count

Posted by Kevin Clark
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Re: Group membership based on post count

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Like this, could be easily contained in its own module in the ACP but can imagine would be very useful for a lot of board administrators. +1.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Leave it to extensions.
I don't think that phpBB should support such thing natively also because that is something that is fully part of a bulletin board (I may be wrong, though)

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:02 pm

How to implement it?

What about to have in group settings just a new text field:
"Minimal messages for user to be inserted in this group."
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:28 pm

There is already a MOD (Auto Groups) that does this, it uses a field for min and max posts in the group settings. Pretty simple.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:43 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:There is already a MOD (Auto Groups) that does this, it uses a field for min and max posts in the group settings. Pretty simple.
Also, frequently mods go to be abandoned... so to upgrade the phpbb board, the admin / webmaster has to uninstal it because it is no more upgraded/compatible with the new board version.
I think if for example thousands website based on phpbb use a certain mod and at a certain point the mod is no longer supported or upgraded... too much time losed in total to uninstal it, the losing the feature and user data, etc, the risk to make irreparable mistakes installing/uninstalling it, multiplied for the number of the mod each web site installs...
Sometimes a mod no more up to date is removed and a new one that does almost the something is installed, but mysql data tables aren't perfectly compatible and previous data risks to get lost... or not managed with coherence...
Mods are great things but IMHO have to be used with a bit more precaution... they must be used with the dropper... ;)
Frequently MODs=mistakes=problems=losing time... nothanks...

The risk is that lot of admin refuse to instal and renounce to the feature...

I think too that more features have to be implemented in the core giving phpbb more elasticity and customizability.
If someone doesn't want a feature, deactivates it: it is better to has it and deactivate in one click than don't have at all.

Also, to implement this feature, as said by Master_cylinder, is enough to have just a field where it is possible to type a number of messages for the post count as well as "New member post limit" thanks to which New members are within the Newly Registered Users group until they reach this number of posts. You can use this group to keep them from using the PM system or to review their posts. A value of 0 disables this feature.
It is just a filed and some code to implement, in conclusion +1 for me too.
Last edited by peopleopinion on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 am

peopleopinion wrote: Frequently mods go to be abandoned...
I was explaining how it could be implemented, since you asked. It would work like the MOD.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:09 am

peopleopinion wrote:I think that more features have to be implemented in the core
Can we add a feature so that it brews my coffee in the morning? ;)

I do agree that this would be a great feature to have. I see this being requested a lot in the MOD forums and it would be a welcome addition to many administrators.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:11 am

t_backoff wrote:Can we add a feature so that it brews my coffee in the morning? ;)
I'm afraid at the moment there isn't: for this theme there is just a style... but I'll help you doing some google searches. I found something... may I post here the link? https://storeit.lavazza.com/a-modo-mio/ ... 3godMQQAng :arrow: Italian quality, one of the best! 8-)

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:14 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:
peopleopinion wrote: Frequently mods go to be abandoned...
I was explaining how it could be implemented, since you asked. It would work like the MOD.
Sorry MC you are right, it's my fault: I forgot some words to specify better my thoughts. Thanks for notifying me, I corrected my previous msg.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”