Akismet integration

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Post Reply
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Posts: 2770
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 am
Location: United Kingdom
Name: Mark Barnes

Akismet integration

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Discussed over at area51 (http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=41581) however I thought it should be placed in here as well to see whether it is something that the community at large would like to see.

----------

View idea at: Akismet integration

Posted by MarkTheDaemon

zolcos
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Re: Akismet integration

Post by zolcos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Due to the potential for issues like false positives this would probably be best as a mod -- when something is in core it gives the impression that you can just enable it and not have to worry about it creating problems

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by keith10456 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 pm

If it requires support/connection to a 3rd party I believe the feature should be a mod/ext.

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Posts: 2770
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 am
Location: United Kingdom
Name: Mark Barnes

Re: Akismet integration

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm

keith10456 wrote:If it requires support/connection to a 3rd party I believe the feature should be a mod/ext.
reCaptcha is already included as standard?

MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Posts: 2770
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:42 am
Location: United Kingdom
Name: Mark Barnes

Re: Akismet integration

Post by MarkTheDaemon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm

zolcos wrote:Due to the potential for issues like false positives this would probably be best as a mod -- when something is in core it gives the impression that you can just enable it and not have to worry about it creating problems
Have a setting that allows the board administrator to either deny a submission that returns positive or add it to the moderation queue. Problem solved.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by keith10456 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 am

MarkTheDaemon wrote:
keith10456 wrote:If it requires support/connection to a 3rd party I believe the feature should be a mod/ext.
reCaptcha is already included as standard?
True... I didn't think of that :? Changed my vote.

User avatar
Martin Truckenbrodt
Registered User
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: Franconia
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Hello,
double idea: https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/idea.php?id=151

In my more than three year experience Stop Forum Spam, BotScout and IP-RBL DNS blacklists are much more helpfully to prevent forum spam as Akismet it is.

There are several ways to prevent false positives. Intelligent solutions can prevent them or at least they can reduce the risc of false positives very near to Zero.
Don't forget: CAPTCHAs and other things like JavaScript based solutions also have false positives: People which can read them, people whom feel annoyed and angry by silly CAPTCHAs, People with deactivated JS, people which are wondering about seriosity of the questions and the board, people whom are not able to answer questions or whom don't like to answer them

To use only one blacklist/database will not have a fallback if this single blacklist/databse is down.

It should be something like a plug-in System (or several plug-in systems).

Why not to use third-party?

Please get out of your paranoia about false positives and third-party!

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by callumacrae » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:52 pm

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
double idea: https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/idea.php?id=151

In my more than three year experience Stop Forum Spam, BotScout and IP-RBL DNS blacklists are much more helpfully to prevent forum spam as Akismet it is.

There are several ways to prevent false positives. Intelligent solutions can prevent them or at least they can reduce the risc of false positives very near to Zero.
Don't forget: CAPTCHAs and other things like JavaScript based solutions also have false positives: People which can read them, people whom feel annoyed and angry by silly CAPTCHAs, People with deactivated JS, people which are wondering about seriosity of the questions and the board, people whom are not able to answer questions or whom don't like to answer them

To use only one blacklist/database will not have a fallback if this single blacklist/databse is down.

It should be something like a plug-in System (or several plug-in systems).

Why not to use third-party?

Please get out of your paranoia about false positives and third-party!

Bye Martin
What you're suggesting is what you wrote in your idea… which has a score of -6. This one has a score of 8.

People don't want multiple blacklists. They want Akismet.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

User avatar
Martin Truckenbrodt
Registered User
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: Franconia
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi callum,
why you are storking me? What's your problem with mine?

You are not the people!

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

User avatar
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:35 pm
Name: William
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by bonelifer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:10 pm

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:Hi callum,
why you are storking me? What's your problem with mine?

You are not the people!

Bye Martin
Martin why are you HIJACKING someone else's Idea? Please do not hijack other peoples idea topics with links to your own. Let the PEOPLE vote with their fingers, as they have in your ideas topic, of which 4 of the 7 down-votes are from regular users. At least two or three of them are mod developers, so it's not a case of callum or anyone else on the teams having a problem. It the case of you not accepting that others don't like your idea. Please remember phpBB.com's rules and don't hijack other peoples conversation with off-topic content.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Image
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

User avatar
Martin Truckenbrodt
Registered User
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:22 pm
Location: Franconia
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:12 am

Hello William,
I'm not hijacking! This is another personal attack! It's the same bad style like callum is doing it for several years now.

I'm supporting the idea of Akismet integration! It's a good idea!

But based on my longtime experience I just gave some feedback about Akismet (and other and better blacklists/databases).
Also I think the fallback thing (redundancy) is a very important point.

Also I wanted to state some words against false postive and third-party paranoia.

My intention for the posts is just to have a good blacklist/database integration in phpBB core. I just want to share my longtime experience with others. That's the idea of community, or not?

BTW: 1, 6, 8, 10, 12, ... votes. Sorry, but this tiny number of votes says nothing! ( viewtopic.php?p=13369324#p13369324 and following posts). At least it should be some hundreds of votes.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

User avatar
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Posts: 21034
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr
Contact:

Re: Akismet integration

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 am

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:BTW: 1, 6, 8, 10, 12, ... votes. Sorry, but this tiny number of votes says nothing!
Statistically speaking it states quite a bit given the amount of total votes. Out of those that chose to vote 85% think it's a good idea.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

User avatar
forkless
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Akismet integration

Post by forkless » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:35 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:BTW: 1, 6, 8, 10, 12, ... votes. Sorry, but this tiny number of votes says nothing!
Statistically speaking it states quite a bit given the amount of total votes. Out of those that chose to vote 85% think it's a good idea.
Sorry but the top rated idea here "Expiration date for shadow topics" (no offense to the person suggesting it) but it only shows how much people are disconnected with reality.

Ask a few dozen of board owners what the top 3 concerns is these days... I don't think shadow topic expiration dates would make it in the top 50.

But hey, democracy hi ho!
bonelifer wrote:Martin why are you HIJACKING someone else's Idea?
In all fairness this idea was posted six weeks after Martin posted his idea/suggestion.

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Ideas”